Ghostbusters (2016)

Started by Peanutbutter, July 10, 2016, 03:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peanutbutter

Sorry for not adding the usual notes that other movies get.

Anyway, the new Ghostbusters is out this Friday. Anyone here planning to see it? Its at 76% on Rotten Tomatoes for what its worth. Thanks to all the controversy surrounding this movie, I don't think I'll check it out until I hear what the word-of-mouth is. If I hear enough that its good I'll go see it in theaters.

I loved both Spy and The Heat, so it could very well be good I just don't know.

Spark Of Spirit

It's officially embargoed until Friday. That's not the best sign.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

It is? I thought some early reviews had already come out?

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 10, 2016, 09:03:24 PM
It's officially embargoed until Friday. That's not the best sign.

Nope, embargo was lifted today.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on July 10, 2016, 09:09:32 PM
It is? I thought some early reviews had already come out?

They have. 44 reviews are out, rating is currently 74%. Hearing rumors that most of the Top Critics hated it, but we'll see. There will be some interesting reactions this week no matter what.

Avaitor

If we can get Ecto Cooler at WalMart or Target at a reasonable price, I'll be first in line for this damn movie. I'm shouldn't have to make a pilgrimage to a CineMark that's 40 minutes away for a $3.25 can.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Peanutbutter

Was Ecto Cooler really that good?

Avaitor

I think it's pretty good. Even beyond nostalgia, orange and tangerine really blend well together, and I like that it's a little sweeter than your usual orange soda would be.

It's just not $15 per 12-pack from Amazon good.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on July 10, 2016, 11:53:40 PM
Was Ecto Cooler really that good?

They're pretty tasty. Though, I have mostly been buying the little juice box versions of it, especially since they're on sale near my job.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

Richard Roper savaging the film is a major red flag, whether people defending the film admit it or not. Usually, he tends to side with the rest of the critics on a movie's consensus. If he's saying its bad there's a real good chance it is despite the Certified Fresh rating. Thing is, the best I've seen from people who didn't preemptively praise it before the release was that its "just okay".

Only way I'm checking this out is if the word-mouth is good. And that's really up in the air.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 13, 2016, 11:44:32 AM
Yep.

STAPH! The 13th Amendment exists for a reason here in the states. But that was the most savage thing I've read today. I am in the same boat as Peanutbutter here & waiting more for word of mouth than critics.

Peanutbutter

Lauren Faust is arguing on Twitter about it.

https://twitter.com/Fyre_flye/status/754129515299819524

I'm sorry, but this is a terrible argument even if the new Ghostbusters is legit. Hollywood has had plenty of movies with female leads, just recently Mad Max Fury Road. Not to mention Disney's movies like Brave, Tangled and Frozen. Female hero roles won't dry up just because the new Ghostbusters bombs. It might make Sony more gunshy, but I don't think it will affect Marvel or others.

Peanutbutter

Seen many Twitter users tweeting about Ghostbusters in empty theaters. Last time this happened was AFTER BvS's opening weekend. Not good.

Dr. Insomniac

So Paul Feig was banned from making one of the characters gay thanks to Sony. For a movie whose major word-of-mouth marketing comes from how progressive it is, and one released in 2016 at that, this is... huh.