Ghostbusters (2016)

Started by Peanutbutter, July 10, 2016, 03:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on July 16, 2016, 09:40:50 AM
Seen many Twitter users tweeting about Ghostbusters in empty theaters. Last time this happened was AFTER BvS's opening weekend. Not good.

Gee, you attack the audience and you expect them to see it? "HEY YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE OUR MOVIE WITH AN ALL FEMALE CAST? YOU MUST BE A MISOGYNISTIC, REDDIT TIER MRA-MAN BABY! WATCH OUR MOVIE, YOU MRA NERD SCUM!" How did you not see that coming Sony's marketing team? Seriously, if you ever had a retail job you would learn that attacking your audience/customer base to their faces is one of the worst things you could ever do to them. That can cost people their jobs. But that does seem to line up with a couple of YouTubers I follow that said that the theaters they went to were empty, even for the Thursday 7 PM showing in popular towns. Also, I found a screenshot collage of said tweets.

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 16, 2016, 04:08:20 PM
So Paul Feig was banned from making one of the characters gay thanks to Sony. For a movie whose major word-of-mouth marketing comes from how progressive it is, and one released in 2016 at that, this is... huh.

Wow... kinda weird that they would be held back from making one of their characters gay, especially after they were cashing in so hard on the progressive angle. Well, at least from reading the article it's kinda implied in the movie, so you could connect the dots if you want to.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 16, 2016, 04:08:20 PM
So Paul Feig was banned from making one of the characters gay thanks to Sony. For a movie whose major word-of-mouth marketing comes from how progressive it is, and one released in 2016 at that, this is... huh.

Sony's execs don't actually care about representation or any Social Justice values, they just pander to those that do because they're convinced somehow that most people are SJWs when they're actually a vocal minority.

Foggle

Pretty much everything revolving around the release of this film has been nauseatingly stupid. The marketing has been terrible and it seems like everyone online has some sort of personal stake in it being either good or bad so that they can laugh at the people with opposing opinions. While this is certainly more entertaining than the actual film probably is, I have to wonder why folks are so invested in it. It looks like an unnecessary and mediocre remake of a comedy that, while classic, is hardly what most would consider an untouchable masterpiece. Frankly, I can't see why anyone actually cares about this movie one way or the other, and I grew tired of hearing/reading hot takes about the Ghostbusters franchise months ago. I have literally seen vloggers spew shit like "the cancer that is feminism continues its infestation of Hollywood" and its counterpart "disgusting manchildren are scared of vaginas" when, I mean, it's a genderbent remake of a movie about popular comedians hunting ghosts. What the fuck?

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Foggle on July 16, 2016, 09:07:04 PM
Pretty much everything revolving around the release of this film has been nauseatingly stupid. The marketing has been terrible and it seems like everyone online has some sort of personal stake in it being either good or bad so that they can laugh at the people with opposing opinions. While this is certainly more entertaining than the actual film probably is, I have to wonder why folks are so invested in it. It looks like an unnecessary and mediocre remake of a comedy that, while classic, is hardly what most would consider an untouchable masterpiece. Frankly, I can't see why anyone actually cares about this movie one way or the other, and I grew tired of hearing/reading hot takes about the Ghostbusters franchise months ago. I have literally seen vloggers spew shit like "the cancer that is feminism continues its infestation of Hollywood" and its counterpart "disgusting manchildren are scared of vaginas" when, I mean, it's a genderbent remake of a movie about popular comedians hunting ghosts. What the fuck?

There are sexist douchebag fratboys, hypersensitive feminists, and people like Lauren Faust who are afraid if the movie fails it will somehow be the end of all female heroes as we know it somehow.

Daxdiv

Well, the box office reports are coming in and apparently, it's gonna make a decent amount in the form of $46 Million (Which from other analysis, was about the figure they thought it would make for the first weekend), it only lost to the 2nd week for The Secret Life of Pets, which raked in $ 50.5 Million. Only time will tell if the movie makes it's budget back or not.

Avaitor

tbh, I'd rather see this than Secret Life of Pets.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

Yeah, I winced everytime they played that trailer in the theaters.

LumRanmaYasha

I hated the trailer, but I took my younger cousins to see The Secret Life of Pets earlier today and actually had a pretty good time. There's some great physical comedy and sharp dialogue in that flick.

Dr. Insomniac

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 18, 2016, 03:59:22 AM
I'll always remember the movie for this.

For me it will always be this image. Despite it being in poor taste, but you could argue that the photo op was in poor taste as well.

Foggle

Reluctantly caught this earlier today (last day it's in major theaters, apparently) and it was actually pretty alright. Hit and miss for sure, but a lot better than the trailers suggested. I also recently re-watched the original film, and divorced from my childhood nostalgia, I thought much the same about it, honestly. I think I liked them both about equally, but for very different reasons. Overall, it was neither a disaster nor a masterpiece, which - especially compared to the heinous Pulse and Oldboy remakes I also watched over the past week - makes it A-OK in my book.