Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Triple post? Really? I thought you guys would be a little more pumped for the first week's schedule.

Anyway, I went to WalMart today to finally pick up season 1 of Rocko. Since Hey Dude came out today as well, I decided to check it out, and it seems like there's an interview with Christine Taylor on it. So far, it looks like the only Nick release by Shout to have bonuses, even if it is likely just a fluff piece which asks her more about Ben Stiller than the show. The contents of the set also seemed to treat her like the star of the show, even though she was like fourth or fifth banana overall.

I didn't buy it, but I may get the first set at least to support the show and potential for more live-action releases at some point. It just doesn't really hold up at all, but I wouldn't mind owning at least some of it for the sake of nostalgia. And I hope that other sets get more bonus stuff.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Oh, that's out today? Huh. I actually forgot about Hey Dude; probably due to already looking ahead to the Angry Beavers/Hey Arnold sets.

...anyway, yeah, I'll have to head out today and pick that up. I'll support all of the Nicktoons releases, in the hopes that they won't decide to abandon this project half-way through (due to the same old "low sales" schtick). Hell, I bought the Thornberrys set (and that was before Nigel's resurgence), so why stop there? Probably the only one I'm not sure about buying, at this point, is CatDog; I really don't like that show, and now after hearing that Season 1 will be split off into two separate releases makes an already unappealing purchase that much worse.

Ah well; we'll see.

Avaitor

If I had the money, I'd buy more of the sets. For now, I'm just sticking to what I really want, which is Rocko. I'll probably pick up Hey Arnold and Real Monsters when they come out, and sooner or later, I'll get to Hey Dude, but these aren't as high priority for me.

If Rugrats or Doug get announced for the anniversary, they finish Clarissa and Pete & Pete, or try Kenan & Kel or Salute Your Shorts, those I'll be getting instantly.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Another promo.

Other shows mentioned here? Hey Dude and Weinerville. I think I saw Wild and Crazy Kids in there, too.

Can't come soon enough.

New blog!

Commode

Weinerville, are you serious?  Never would've thought that would resurface.  What next, are they gonna bring back Stick Stickly to do the bumpers?
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Avaitor

Judging from the promos they've been airing and how he's been mentioned in press releases, that seems pretty likely, actually.

It'll be fun to watch Weinerville, if only to check out which cartoons they still put on. I watched an episode again a few years ago, and caught an Alvin cartoon from the 60's, and I believe they also aired UPA stuff as well. Dunno what else.

I think rewatching the episode of Ned where Marc Weiner guest starred sounds like a good idea now, actually. That was a good one.

New blog!

Kiddington

I'm surprised Kablam hasn't shown up in any of these promos yet (or, if it is has, it's too brief a clip and I'm just missing it). That was always one of the big hitters from the mid-90's, was it not?

...other than that, I'd say they've got their bases pretty well covered so far. Weinerville, huh? Can't say I thought I'd ever see that on TV again. Pretty cool, I must say.

Commode

I think the reason that Kablam hasn't seen much exposure compared to the other Nicktoons in recent years, or hasn't shown up for this block yet, is that there is some sort of rights issues with the different shorts that aired on it.  I know that there is a problem with Angela Anaconda, since Fox took the original shorts and turned it into a half hour show on Fox Family.  I'm just not sure that Nick owns as much of the show as it would be beneficial to actually air it again.

I would so love to watch this block, especially if the old bumps and animations from the commercials aired as well(I can't see why not), this looks like the closest you're ever going to get to seeing 90's Nickelodeon again, and if only they could bring back acquisitions like Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon, You're on Nickelodeon, Charlie Brown!, and so on it'd be perfect, but of course that's next to impossible.  I sincerely hope they keep this block for quite a while, because the next chance I'd be able to watch the block or Teenick will be around the holidays when I go home to my parents house and their DirecTV package.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Kiddington

Ah, right. That would probably explain it.

I know Kablam used to air on the Nicktoons channel as recently as 2005-2006, before they started the phasing out process of 90's programming in the years since. It's been so long since I've seen a full episode of it on TV, though, that I don't really remember what particular shorts were and weren't being used.

Avaitor

Even then, they cut out a lot of episodes. I think anything with Angela Anaconda in it got blacked out, and there might be other series of shorts that got removed.

I'd love to see Kablam! again, but it might be too risky for them, since some of it has to be cut out. But hey, if they're bringing back Weinerville and airing newer stuff like CatDog and Rocket Power, anything should be fair game.

New blog!

Avaitor

Here's a transcript with the general manager of Nick answering fan questions about the block.

He keeps on repeating the same thing ad naseum (keep on checking Facebook and Twitter to vote for your favorites!), but he gave us info on some things, like a list of the most likely shows to get voted on to air later on in the block. It seems like the block now is going to keep the same four shows for a little while, but later on will change.

It also seems like anything that aired around this time and they still own the rights to is fair game. Kablam! in particular got mentioned, and while he didn't say anything leaning towards a definite yes or no about it, it seems like a possibility. He even mentions that there's a possibility that the block can air earlier in the day, which I would love.

But yeah, the first block airs tonight. I really wanted to get a group over to watch it together, but can't find a house, and mine is definitely no good. I'll just record the shows and watch them later. What about you guys?

New blog!

Rynnec

I'm having company over tonight, and since my Grandma's place doesn't have TEENick, I sadly won't be able to watch the premiere.

Kiddington

Already got the DVR fired up and ready to record. I'll still watch each of them tonight as they premiere anyway, but I do want to get this stuff saved for future viewing on top of that; especially All That, since that'll probably be one show that we'll, more than likely, never see on DVD.

As far as having anyone "over" to watch with me... uhh, no. None of my friends are really into this kind of stuff like I am; I talked to a couple of people about it, but none of 'em cared, like I figured they wouldn't. Man... I'm telling you, I do NOT share common ground in my interests with anyone in this city. Sucks, but oh well.

...anyway, yeah, really looking forward to this tonight. Can't wait!  :happytime:

ToonFaithful

I hope Kablam! airs on the block. Loved that show. Watched it when Nicktoons(when it had the sky blue splat logo) aired it back in 2004. Nicktoons in general was fun to watch then.

I saw some old Nickelodeon bumpers. The guy in the interview was right, they're re-using 90s bumpers, but in new ways.

Avaitor

Watched All That and Kenan & Kel before class and watching Clarissa now. All still as funny as ever.

So far I've seen bumpers using the following shows, as well as All That and Clarissa:

AAAHH!!! Real Monsters
CatDog
Double Dare
GUTS

I think these could be up in the first poll for new shows. Which of these would you guys vote for if they were?

My vote would go to Double Dare. Real Monsters is coming out on DVD and is on Netflix, I don't like CatDog, which is also coming to DVD, and while I also liked GUTS, it aired on GAS for much longer than Double Dare. I'd be up for any of these but CatDog, though.

New blog!