Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToonFaithful

Quote from: Avaitor on July 26, 2011, 10:55:27 AM
Watched All That and Kenan & Kel before class and watching Clarissa now. All still as funny as ever.

So far I've seen bumpers using the following shows, as well as All That and Clarissa:

AAAHH!!! Real Monsters
CatDog
Double Dare
GUTS

I think these could be up in the first poll for new shows. Which of these would you guys vote for if they were?

My vote would go to Double Dare. Real Monsters is coming out on DVD and is on Netflix, I don't like CatDog, which is also coming to DVD, and while I also liked GUTS, it aired on GAS for much longer than Double Dare. I'd be up for any of these but CatDog, though.
I'd vote for GUTS, but I can see Double Dare airing instead. Maybe the show that's placed in second can air also. Double Dare and GUTS.

Really glad this is lasting a long time. One problem though, for people who go to school, we can't stay up at 12am-2am watching these shows. I know I can do it, just don't want to and it would be a huge problem if I fell asleep during school.

Avaitor

Oh, and judging from the bumpers I saw in the second hour, you can probably add Hey Dude to that poll as well. My vote would stay the same, though.

And yeah, I think it would be better if the block airs earlier. Maybe if it does really well, they will consider changing the time after all.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Man, I enjoyed rewatch All That, Kenan and Kel, Clarissa, and Doug. My favorite skit is/was/shall always be, Good Burger on All That. "The Bunny wouldn't have given up." Oh Kel.

I can't wait for tonight's episode of Kenan and Kel, it's the one with the screw being in the tuna. That scene in court remains one of my favorite moments from the show.

Avaitor

That's gotta be my favorite, too. I think it's everyone's favorite, actually.

Oh, speaking of K&K.

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

The ratings are in, and it's a hit!

It's a shame to see Clarissa be the weak link, but it is the oldest in terms of afterlife (while it and Doug premiered and ended around the same time as each other, Clarissa was taken off Nick around 1998, while Doug stayed on until 2003). But even then, it still does pretty well.

Overall, this proves that there's definitely a market for these shows, and that the block should stay for a while.

New blog!

Daxdiv

That's terrific news. Provided that most of these ratings due to compare to last year where they probably just reran Degrassi for the billionth time, but it's great to see such a growth on that time frame. Glad to see K&K rank so high. I miss those two working together as a duo.

Spark Of Spirit

But I thought there was no audience for this kind of stuff? :humhumhum:
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Kiddington

Excellent news!  :happytime:

Three nights in, and no complaints from me; this is great stuff. If I were running the show, however, the only thing I'd do differently is have already added some variety to it by now. That's probably my only real issue; every night should be a different block of four shows (20 shows total; they could make it work), just to add something new to the mix every night. Nick has a lot of great stuff, in terms of 90's programming; I'd rather they leave no stone unturned, and give as many of these a chance as possible (even if that includes CatDog).

...but either way, we should expect all of these to show up at some point anyway, so I guess it's not really a big deal. And not that any of this is a knock on the ones that are currently running; I love all four of those shows, and it's pretty awesome to seem 'em all back on TV again.

Avaitor

Aright, a week in, and what do you think of the current lineup? It should be staying the same for a little while, but what do you want to stay on the most and what do you want to come on?

Overall, I love all four shows, and while there's a lot else I'm also partial to, I wouldn't mind the lineup staying as is for now. If I had to take off anything, I'd probably remove Kenan & Kel, since it's by far the easiest to find online, but I'll still be tuning in as long as it's on.

All That was one of my most anticipated shows, and even with the lack of musical performances, I think it's as fun to watch as ever. If what Ish said is true and Nick just never paid enough to keep the rights for the performances in the first two seasons, then when they get up to season 3, we should be getting them again. Either way, the lack of music doesn't really affect the show as much as I thought it would, and I'd probably buy it on DVD if it came out like this.

Kenan & Kel is just good fun. The two have great chemistry with each other, and the supporting cast are talented on their own as well. There isn't much to the show but laughs, and it does that very well, even now.

Clarissa seems to be the weakest performer on the block, which is probably due to its age. Even though it and Doug premiered and ended around the same time, repeats of Doug were finally taken off in 2003, while Clarissa came off after a year or two of Sabrina, but did come back briefly around the time The N came out. It might be the first to go, but I'll be sad to see it leave, since I dig how it's built. It's a show with a female lead that isn't very girly at all, and is also smart enough to hold up despite how dated it is. I don't know why they started halfway through season 2 instead of going through the beginning of it, but I do appreciate them skipping season 1, since I have the DVD, and so should you.

Doug was another one of the shows I was most anticipating to return, since it was my favorite Nicktoon as a kid. It doesn't really hold up as well as I remembered it to, though. Some of the jokes, like Skeeter's dad forgetting various phrases, just aren't funny, the pacing gets awkward at times, and there are some very embarrassing animation errors to notice (for example, in the first episode with the Beets, there was a long period where Roger was drawn in pale skin. He was speaking and everything, but still looked a little like Doug.). But even then, it still has it's moments, and the characters are all genuinely likable. I don't think I'd like the show if it was made when I'm at this point in my life, but it'll always hold a place in my heart, and I'll watch it as long as its on.

As for what I'd like to come on? Well, one of the other series I'm most anticipating to see return is Salute Your Shorts. Anything else, I don't know. I'd watch most of the Nicktoons they would put on, but since most of them are on Netflix or are coming to DVD, I'd rather see less fortunate series come on. And while I also like the game shows, I think that I'd probably get bored of them after a while. I think I'll just wait to see what comes up in the first poll, whenever that's released.

New blog!

Avaitor

*coughcough*

Anyway, how about this for my next made up poll set:

Hey Dude
The Ren & Stimpy Show
Legends of the Hidden Temple
Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Me, I'd go with either Legends or Afraid of the Dark. Again, I might get bored with game shows, but Legends was my favorite, while I like Dark and don't feel like importing the Canadian DVDs. The only other thing it has going against it is wide availability online, but watching stuff on a TV is better than on a computer screen, anyway.

Hey Dude I don't care much for anymore and is on DVD, and Ren & Stimpy has DVDs and Netflix, so while I'd probably watch those as well, those aren't huge priorities for me.

New blog!

Kiddington

Ren & Stimpy is available in its entirety through DVD. Considering the fact that it's one of only three Nicktoons to share that distinction (Spongebob and Zim being the others), I don't really see it as being a necessary part of this lineup. I know it's a 90's block, after all, and Ren & Stimpy was a big part of that decade... but honestly, I'd rather see some of the other Nicktoons that aren't on DVD get the chance first.

The Aahh Real Monsters DVD isn't set to arrive for another two months, and who knows if Shout will even release every season or not; they may just stop at one. This show hasn't been on TV in over five years; personally, as far as Nicktoons go, I'd rather see that get the green light before anyone else (I know it wasn't part of your poll, I'm just speaking hypothetically in terms of what I'd like to see).

...anyway, as far as your poll goes, I'll take Legends of the Hidden Temple. It was always my absolute favorite game show that Nick ever did, and even after repeated viewings on the old Nick GAS station, I never got tired of it. Since a DVD release of that is almost certainly not in the cards, I'd like to see it somewhere on TV again.

Avaitor

RM was on my other poll if you want to vote for it. I'd love to see it again myself, although unlike a couple of other Nicktoons and all the live-action shows, it has complete Netflix availability.

Out of all the 90's Niicktoons, Kablam! has really got the shaft the most of them all. Rights seem to be the biggest reason for that, but even if they can't air every episode, I'd love to see the block try to put on what they can.

New blog!

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on August 02, 2011, 04:16:04 PM
RM was on my other poll if you want to vote for it. I'd love to see it again myself, although unlike a couple of other Nicktoons and all the live-action shows, it has complete Netflix availability.
Ah, that's right; I forgot about that. I'm a bit behind when it comes to Netflix, though (I still have it despite the upcoming rate hikes, but I don't utilize it nearly as much as I should).

I must have missed your first poll, as I don't recall seeing that post. Anyway, for that, I'd go with either Double Dare or GUTS, due mainly to lack of availability and/or upcoming DVD releases for the foreseeable future. Real Monsters actually is more readily available than most, all things considered (although, again, I'd love to see it back on TV)... and CatDog sucks, and is already airing during the overnight hours on Nicktoons anyway. So, yeah, one of the gameshows would be my call for that, with perhaps a slight leaning towards GUTS, as it was always another one of my favorites.

Daxdiv

The one question I always had about Legends of the Hidden Temple was... did anyone ever win that game? I swear I think there was only one or two people that were able to completely build that monkey before being taken away by the people guarding it.

Avaitor

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LegendsOfTheHiddenTemple

"Just over one-quarter of Temple Runs were actually completed (pity the poor kids who didn't go to Space Camp). While theoretically you were SOL if you got there with less than two Pendants, a majority of the wins were with one and a half Pendants...and the highest win ratio was with one Pendant.

What made it so hard was that there was usually only one linear path, thanks to locked doors. The artifact almost always ended up in the last room you'd enter. You actually had better luck if it was on the far end of the Temple (essentially the halfway point, since after that all the doors unlocked)...and if a Guard got you, your teammate had to start over from the beginning. If it was in the middle of the Temple, like the Heart Room or Observatory, you were dead in the water.

Most winning teams picked up the artifact in the seventh or eighth room. This usually included at least one or two which involved quick objectives or simple navigation, but often a lot more in the earlier part of the show. In fact, the first two wins were almost-identical paths (the second time literally just added on the next room) of eight and nine rooms respectively, but other than navigation all the players had to do was sit on a throne and put the monkey together."

Looks like more people won than we remembered.

And now I wanna watch some of it again.

New blog!