Nickelodeon's Live Action

Started by Commode, January 16, 2011, 01:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiddington

"Shrine of the Silver Monkey" was always the backbreaker; from what I remember, if anyone ever got caught in that room, they never won. Either wasted too much time on it, or simply couldn't put it together at all.

Pretty amazing that a three-piece statue could give so many people fits. Guess I wouldn't know the difficulty without actually seeing and/or putting it together myself, though... which, by the way, reminds me; I wanted to be on this show so badly as a kid. Obviously I was too young, and didn't live in or anywhere near Orlando anyway, but still... it looked like so much fun.

Avaitor

I feel like I wasted my childhood somewhat. I live about an hour and a half away from Universal, but I haven't been to Studios until last year (been to Islands of Adventure a bunch, though), and certainly never went to a recording at Nickelodeon Studios.

They were starting to cut those off in the mid-90's, anyway. All That moved to Hollywood in season 3, along with production of most other live-action shows, and the game shows were dying at that point, hence the four year gap between Figure It Out and Double Dare 2000.

I remember a lot of classic Nick fans lamenting the death of the Studios a few years back, but they weren't doing anything with it at that point anyway. It was mostly a place to sell merch you could buy anywhere else or at other parts of the resort. Not much more from what I can tell.

Edit: Also, checking out the Facebook page's pol for greatest thing songs, besides the 4 shows already on, Rocko, Legends, and Arnold are options as well. Do you think they could be next?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Kiddington

Yeah, I remember reading an article a while back on how archiac the Orlando studio ended up becoming towards the 00's. I wasn't aware that even Legends actually moved its final filming to Los Angeles, though; I figured that was one of the very last shows to still utilize the old set on a regular basis.

Looking at pictures of the building now (as the Blue Man Group theater or whatever), there's hardly a trace reminder that the building ever once belonged to Nickelodeon. As far as I understand, even the old time capsule is gone (uneathered and reburied somewhere else, I guess). Too bad.

Avaitor

Nickelodeon still exists at the park, thanks to the Jimmy Neutron ride. I hear that even that's getting removed by the end of the year, though. Not sure what they'll replace it with.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Avaitor

Okay, besides having their theme songs become votable in a poll and clips of the shows are available to watch, now the site and FB page have a full episode of Hey Arnold! and Legends of the Hidden Temple to watch.

I'm expecting either one of those and/or Rocko to make it in the next block.

New blog!

Kiddington

As much as I hate to say it... no Rocko, plz. I'm kinda viewing this block as a showcase project for series (Nicktoons and live-action) that haven't been seen over the air in some time, and Rocko just doesn't fit the bill. We've gotten Season 1 on DVD, with hopefully more soon to follow... not to mention the fact that it's been running during the overnight hours on Nicktoons for well over a year now. During this time, I've caught up on the series pretty well, and have got most of my favorite episodes already saved on the DVR. With the exception of the holiday episodes, which Nicktoons never airs, there isn't a whole lot of Rocko that I haven't seen fairly recently.

I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I'm a little burnt-out on Rocko at the moment. I'd rather see Legends or Hey Arnold get the billing first, if that truly is the competition at stake here. Keep the block as fresh as possible, I say.

Avaitor

I have to agree. I love Rocko to death, but it's easily the most accessible of the three shows.

I'll probably still watch the season 2 and up episodes when they come, but it's not really my top choice. Same exact thing with Hey Arnold, since I'm buying that set when it comes out.

New blog!

Avaitor

New poll featuring the following shows, which also have full length episodes up:

Rugrats, Real Monsters, and Ren & Stimpy. Arnold's also on this poll, along with Doug. I think they're trying to test us now.

Of these 3, I'd take Rugrats in a heartbeat. No DVD plans now, and the early episodes have been inexplicably removed from Netflix. It deserves a spot here the most, IMO.

New blog!

ToonFaithful

Quote from: Avaitor on August 02, 2011, 08:38:44 PM
Nickelodeon still exists at the park, thanks to the Jimmy Neutron ride. I hear that even that's getting removed by the end of the year, though. Not sure what they'll replace it with.
Yes, Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoons Blast, I went on it in 2005 and inside the studios(got splattered with a pie). The ride is being replaced with a Despicable Me attraction.

When I visited Nickelodeon Studios it was pretty crowded for it's time. I didn't go for a recording, it was just an activity. I think it dealt with a basketball activity and eventually everyone got pies shoved in their faces. It peeves me off how the only I did over there was to ride Nicktoons Blast and Nickelodeon Studios. Should've spent time with the Back to the Future ride before it got removed.

Lord Dalek

It'll perennially be a tossup between the old DD obstacle course (before FDD made it practically impossible NOT to win) and the Temple Run as to what was the most frustratingly difficult Nick game show bonus round in my opinion.

Kiddington

Quote from: Avaitor on August 08, 2011, 07:40:37 PM
New poll featuring the following shows, which also have full length episodes up:

Rugrats, Real Monsters, and Ren & Stimpy. Arnold's also on this poll, along with Doug. I think they're trying to test us now.

Of these 3, I'd take Rugrats in a heartbeat. No DVD plans now, and the early episodes have been inexplicably removed from Netflix. It deserves a spot here the most, IMO.
Yeah, I'd definitely go with Rugrats as well.

The post-hiatus episodes are pretty awful, yes, but the early stuff is and always will be great. And given that this is a block showcasing the 90's, I'm more inclined to believe they'll run the early stuff before getting into the Dil-era material.

Daxdiv

Considering the episode of Rugrats I voted for was Reptar on Ice/Family Feud, I can see Nick using the old school Rugrats, especially if their track record with going with Doug's first episode was any indication.

Kiddington

I hope they don't go with Ren & Stimpy. I really, really hope they don't

Putting aside the fact that I simply cannot watch or enjoy the vast majority of that show at all anymore (barring the few episodes that never get old, like "Stimpy's Invention"), it's one of the only Nicktoons that is available, in its entirety, on standard DVD's. I know most of these shows are on Netflix as well, but not everybody uses Netflix (I do, but that's beside the point). Fact is, Ren & Stimpy is probably the most widely available 90's Nicktoon on the market right now; it really doesn't need to be on this block (not before the others have been given a chance first, at least).

Avaitor

I wouldn't be so against it, if they aired every episode of the show. For some reason, Nick cuts out a third of the show's run on their repeat cycle and on Netflix, and I personally refuse to buy those edited DVDs. Since the standards on TeenNick seem looser than Nicktoons/regular Nick (they even use Ren saying "Alright, cut the crap" in the block's rap), I think that's possible.

I'd probably still take Rugrats and Real Monsters over it, however.

New blog!

Kiddington

Well... I don't see what difference the DVD's being edited makes myself. If Teen Nick does air it, I can't possibly imagine they'll do so uncut; we'll probably get even further edited copies than what's on DVD.

...and besides that; do uncut masters of Ren & Stimpy even exist? Coming straight from the horse's mouth years ago, John K. said what was on those DVD's was apparently all that Nick had. I'd be surprised if they had uncut masters lying around in a vault somewhere (and if they did, I'd be even further surprised if they actually aired those on Teen Nick).

...but, whatever. I'm just not a Ren & Stimpy fan, so naturally, I'd prefer they go in a different direction. I'd especially hate to see Clarissa given the boot (almost surely the first one to go) for a show that, not only do I not even like, but one that is far more accessable to me if I did want to watch it, edited or not.