Sonic The Hedgehog

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 16, 2011, 09:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rynnec

Oh god, Infinite really is a crack against all the edgy Sonic OC's, it's fucking great!  :lol:

I'm honestly glad they're going back to the anime-style story telling approach after Lost World's non-story and Colours' honestly cringe-worthy attempts at humour. Helps that it feels more Adventure-era than Sonic '06. Not really sold on the vocal theme, but at least it's better than Jaret Reddick and Cash Cash.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 20, 2017, 07:38:28 PM
New Sonic Forces trailer

Okay, this is the cringiest trailer since the Shadow the Hedgehog announcement. The music, the editing, the colors, and the story is basically every aesthetic I've hated from the series since Adventure 2. It's like they threw away all the good will they got with the more lighthearted tone of Unleashed, Colors, and Generations and decided another crack at 06 was a good idea. All while having three really jarring playstyles.

This game has an identity problem, like it's trying to appeal to classic fans, modern fans, and kids all at the same time. It feels like a grab bag. I honestly don't think Sonic Team knows what they're doing anymore.

I really think they need to ditch the boost gameplay and try something like Utopia in approach. Sonic Team has painted itself into a corner with this game.
I can't stop laughing!! :D :D :D That trailer started with the most hilariously bad modern music I've heard in some time. Then Infinite is shown to be laughably overpowered and literally smacks Sonic around into walls. I'd buy this game for the comedy if I didn't care so little for boost gameplay.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

Infinite the Edge's theme is just...I can't. It sits there with MUST DIE as one of the most edgy videogame songs ever.

Sega and Sonic Team  KNOWS, man. They fucking know.

Spark Of Spirit

They have to know. If they don't then they're really up the creek.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

IDW Sonic comic on the way.

This could be anything since IDW is pretty free with licensed comics.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Nel_Annette

Good news. Oh, and I love the Infinite trailer. This series should poke fun at its own cheesiness.

Daxdiv

IDW gets Sonic. This is the ultimate upgrade since IDW handles licensed properties pretty well. I heard at least some good things about their run with Yo-kai Watch.

Nel_Annette

The Sonic Mania vinyl soundtrack is now available. Limited Edition's available until the 24th.

https://data-discs.com/products/sonic-mania

Dr. Insomniac

Spark Of Spirit

A tone of new Sonic Mania info was released.

The first is the story:

Spoiler
[close]

The second is the Special Stages:

Spoiler
[close]

It's based on a combination of the Special Stages from Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Sonic CD. Sonic chases a single UFO down a path and collects blue spheres to go faster in order to reach it and get the Chaos Emerald.

The third is that there are no Super Emeralds in in the game.

The fourth is that the game will have an opening animation like Sonic CD.

The fifth is that the music for the special stage was revealed here. It's called "Dimensional Heist" and it's pretty kicking.

We have less than a month until this game releases, and it just keeps looking better and better.

Nel_Annette

"newest ally Knuckles"

I love it. Sonic 4 can go suck a dick because this is basically being treated like the real sequel.

Kiddington

Those special stages look crazy. The entire game is just one big nostalgic headtrip, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Quote from: Nel_Annette on July 21, 2017, 07:11:31 PM
Good news. Oh, and I love the Infinite trailer. This series should poke fun at its own cheesiness.

Eh. I don't get the vibe that they're going for the ironic approach, but whatever. At this point it basically just screams Worst Sonic Tropes: The Experience, and as good as they've been about moving away from this kinda stuff over the years, I guess we were ultimately due for one.

I just hate the use of rock music in this series so much. It never works.

Spark Of Spirit

The only time I've enjoyed outright rock music in this series was in Adventure 1 because it was in tandem with so many other styles. It was also very '80s and I feel Sonic music works best when its modeled after '80s pop, rap, and rock, just like the original games were.

A lot of the rock music in the series sounds ripped out of 2003 which is music as a whole that's hard to listen to now since it's so edgelord teenager on such a wide scale.

Foggle

I don't think the Infinite trailer is ironic but I love it anyway. It's so awful it's almost like a piece of performance art. At least the gameplay will probably be really good this time.

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on July 25, 2017, 10:59:36 AM
The only time I've enjoyed outright rock music in this series was in Adventure 1 because it was in tandem with so many other styles. It was also very '80s and I feel Sonic music works best when its modeled after '80s pop, rap, and rock, just like the original games were.
Sonic Adventure 2 also had some really good rock tracks. Eggman's theme!!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I've kind of taken a step back from the franchise to really assess it's quality. The classic Genesis games are still classics. Putting my nostalgia aside, I can fully admit that the Sonic Adventure games aren't technically good games, and while I still find enjoyment to be had in them (they are certainly far from unplayable), they don't hold up all that well. As for Generations, I won't lie, I really bought into the hype and hailed them as great platformers like everyone else did when they came out. But after the hype wore down, I looked at them more sincerely and in all honesty, they are merely passable games that were made to look better due to the low bar the franchise had set before Colors. It's just a mediocre, inoffensive, OK platformer. So as for this new one, I'll only be really interested if people who aren't already diehard Sonic fans check it out and call it legitimately good. Otherwise, I'm fully expecting another Generations scenario on my hands.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Certainly don't let my pessimistic outlook hamper your excitement for the game if you're genuinely looking forward to it.