Alan Moore

Started by Daikun, September 09, 2016, 05:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

Alan Moore has retired.

Here's a thread to talk about his comics and legacy.

Dr. Insomniac

He always says he's done with comics. He's like Miyazaki.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Although, at least Miyazaki doesn't constantly badmouth the industry that he worked/works in. Not sure if he also worships a snake diety, though. That one's up in the air.

No, but in all seriousness I love what I've read of Moore's work and really want to read more.

Spark Of Spirit

Not a fan, but it's hard to ignore his influence.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

The Shadow Gentleman

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 09, 2016, 06:01:36 PM
Although, at least Miyazaki doesn't constantly badmouth the industry that he worked/works in.
Yes he does.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: The Shadow Gentleman on September 10, 2016, 12:42:37 PM
Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on September 09, 2016, 06:01:36 PM
Although, at least Miyazaki doesn't constantly badmouth the industry that he worked/works in.
Yes he does.

Note that I said "constantly". Miyazaki has criticized the industry, but not in every interview ever given to him like Moore tends to do.

Spark Of Spirit

QuoteAccording to the recent retiree, anime suffers because industry staff is made up of otaku who "don't spend time watching real people" and are "humans who can't stand looking at other humans."
I'm not exactly sure he's wrong here. The moe boom doesn't hurt his case.

But Alan Moore has a tendency of hating his fans, his haters, his work, his inspirations, his predecessors, his audience, and just about everyone who has come in contact with a comic book for more than 5 seconds. Miyazaki's criticisms are a whole different sort.

QuoteMiyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others
Chuck Jones said this exact same thing, by the way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Daikun

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 10, 2016, 08:57:37 PM
QuoteMiyazaki explained that animating people can only be done by those who spend time observing others

Every animator has said that. It's a key step of being an animator.

Dr. Insomniac

While Alan Moore's run out of things to say so his interviews are just "Millennials have no culture" and "Superhero movies are the bane of modern history" repeated in different octaves, I'm always fascinated when he talks. A conversation with him would be an absolute honor, as long as I don't bring up DC or Marvel of course.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Daikun on September 11, 2016, 03:22:54 AM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 10, 2016, 08:57:37 PM

Every animator has said that. It's a key step of being an animator.
That's why the people rushing to attack him should realize his point.

Pharass

Moore did write From Hell and for that, he will always have a place among my favorite comics authors, no matter what.

By the way, is anyone here familiar with a recent fantasy-novel called The Vorrh by Brian Catling? I bring it up because Moore wrote the foreword to it (which can be found here). He lavishes a lot of praise on the book, comparing it among other things to Peake's Gormenghast, which definitely has me intrigued.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Insomniac

Read it back in May. Can't recall much except the parts with Ishmael the cyclops, though I remember appreciating it.

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I wonder which beloved character in popular culture will be re-interpreted into a psychotic rapist/murderer here. I can see a couple superheroes in that preview page, so I know I'm expecting some of Moore's vitriol in this finale.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, I'm still mostly a newbie when it cones to comic books and the opinions of their creators, but I didn't know that Alan Moore had such a huge beef with Stan Lee until I saw this: https://youtu.be/1iFV1HdO2pQ

Granted, I've heard of the stuff that he mentions in this video before, just didn't know how much it pissed him off. The real takeaway for me here, though, is that he actually is a fan of a lot of his senior comic book writers, which is interesting for me since I always got the impression that he actively hated most people and content in the industry.