Author Topic: Alan Moore  (Read 562 times)

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
Re: Alan Moore
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 11:13:13 PM »
In one of his comics, 1963, Alan made a parody of the "Smiling Stan" editorials called "Affable Al", who took all the credit and claimed he was the creator of everything. He's a huge stickler for creator rights, which was why he kept burning bridges with many comic companies (leaving Marvel UK because they were being shady with the Abslom Daak rights, leaving 2000 AD because he found out he didn't own the Halo Jones rights, leaving DC because of the Watchmen rights, etc).

As for the "Stan took Jack and Steve's credit" argument, I used to believe that for years until I actually read some comics solely credited to Ditko like Mr. A and The Question, and the dialogue and plotting were so clunky and haphazard compared to his Marvel work that it couldn't have been the same person who wrote Spider-Man. None of Ditko's non-Marvel comics have that spark that his Marvel works do. Kirby's a grayer situation, but there's also a distinct difference between the Marvel characters he made who mostly filled superhero/supervillain molds, and his DC characters like OMAC, the Black Racer, Etrigan, and so on. I do think some of the early Marvel fame went to Stan's head back in the day and stopped him from properly sharing the spotlight with his co-creators, but to see him as an outright thief present too much of a black and white view of what happened in those days. At the least, Lee has offered a co-creator credit to them in contrast to Bob Kane taking his sole Batman credit to the grave without even acknowledging Bill Finger.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:15:39 PM by Dr. Insomniac »

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 11:24:55 PM »
I've always figured that there's a lot more to the story than just "Stan Lee was a thief who did none of the work and took all of the credit." It wouldn't surprise me if he did some shady stuff, but to be fair it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the writers and editors at higher up positions at Marvel or DC did their share of shady stuff in general. Regardless, they each still had to possess some level of talent and contribute in some significant way in order to work their way up to the statuses that they each eventually earned, one way or another.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:14:18 PM »
I do have mixed feelings about Stan Lee's claims to his stakes for his characters, but in recent years, he's at least been getting better about acknowledging his co-creators. I do agree with Marquis' suggestion that Lee's fame went to his head in the 60's caused him taking more credit than he should have.

That said, I'm planning to meet him and sign my worn B&N paperback edition of the first Silver Surfer Masterworks tomorrow.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/