Manga to Anime Differences Thread

Started by Spark Of Spirit, September 26, 2016, 09:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I figured we could use a thread for this specific topic to discuss anime that doesn't live up to its manga source material, or maybe anime that improves it.

This was sort of inspired bythis article on Crunchyroll about anime that were improved from their original versions.

This is the top 30, for instance:

Quote29. Gag Manga Biyori
29. Ouran High School Host Club 
29. Miss Machiko
28. Ashita no Joe
27. Kodomo No Omocha
26. Ultimate Survivor Kaiji
25. Sexy Commando Gaiden: Sugoi yo!! Masaru-san
23. (tie) Basilisk: The Koga Ninja Scrolls)
23. Squid Girl
20. (tie) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
20. Chihayafuru
20. Rakudai Ninja Rantaro
18. (tie) Ordinary High School Girls Tried Being Locodols/Locodol
18. My Bride is a Mermaid
17. Akira
16. Akazukin Chacha
15. Oishinbo
14. Ojarumaru
13. Working!!
12. Kochikame
11. Hunter x Hunter
10. Dokonjo Gaeru
9. Mister Ajikko
8. Planetes
7. Attack on Titan
6. Chibi Maruko-chan
5. Sazae-san
4. K-on!
3. Crayon Shin-chan
2. Gintama
1. Lupin III
There are a few I would agree with, and disagree with. Also, there are some missing.

But it makes for a good discussion starter. What anime do you like better than the original manga, or what manga do you like better than the anime adaption?
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I would say that Ashita no Joe 2 improves on the manga, whereas the original is great but doesn't necessarily come off as superior to its source material, IMO.

As for Hunter X Hunter, I do think that both versions improve on the manga's art style, but I'd argue that 2011's insistence on following the manga's story beats to a fault ends up preventing it from truly surpassing its source material.

The lack of Yu Yu Hakuso on this list is a bit strange.

Spark Of Spirit

One thing I like better about the anime versions of HxH is that there are no chapters animated entirely in storyboard.

There are a few strange inclusions on the list. For one, I find it difficult to call an anime that doesn't adapt the full story as superior to the source material. On the other hand, despite being the most obvious inclusions, there is no Haikyu or Yu Yu Hakusho which tremendously improve the originals and are the source of mainstream popularity for both series. The limited voting pool surely has to do with it.

Of course, I don't expect Trigun on here, since the anime isn't as well loved there as it is worldwide. But I would really put it up there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

As far as JoJo's goes, I think Parts 1, 2, & 4 have been improved in the anime, but I think 3 was hurt by slow pacing and preferred reading it over watching it.

I'm not surprised that Haikyuu isn't on the list because most fans really like the manga to begin with, and while the anime is exceptionally well-made I rarely see people laud it for improving the source material.

I prefer the anime of Trigun, but man, the fact that the arc with Wolfwood returning to defend his orphanage and Livio aren't in it alone makes me want a Maximum anime, since that arc is among my favorites and any fight Livio is involved in Maximum is amazing. Livio vs. Elendira is still one of the most gloriously brutal fights I've ever read. I would love to see that animated.

I don't disagree with Lupin, but the manga and anime are such different beasts it's kind of hard to compare them. Same with Akira. I agree with Gintama, though the manga itself is still one of my favorites. The way I feel about it now, Gintama might unseat JoJo's as my favorite Shonen Jump series depending on how it ends.

Planetes is also a different beast than it's manga. I think a lot of what the anime does with the story dramatically is really well-done so I might say I like the story better comparatively...if it wasn't for the annoying comedy the anime also had with some of the original characters they introduced for the show, and that episode with the ninjas. The ninjas were a stupid idea and stupid characters. I was glad they died, though it's still hilariously awkward that the show killed off comic relief characters and tried to pass it off with dramatic gravitas. 

The only series I really disagree with being on this list is Excel Saga. The anime doesn't hold up very well and it's style of gag comedy is dated in many respects. The manga, meanwhile, is still a hilariously relevant social satire and gut-bustingly clever comedy. Also, the anime doesn't have Elgala in it, which automatically makes it inferior

VLordGTZ

Yeah, I'd say the Parts 1, 2, & 4 definitely benefited from being animated.  Part 3, while a very well produced adaption, is really hurt by the fact the it was stretched to 48 eps.  I don't think I've revisited Part 3 episodes anywhere near as much as I have for Parts 1 & 2. 

I should probably check out Planetes anime at some point since I loved the manga.

Spark Of Spirit

Black Clover's anime designs look like different characters.

For contrast, the manga designs:

I know it's just an OVA of probably the first chapter, but that sure is jarring.

On the other hand, I like the usage of colors and shadows. When they eventually do a series, I wouldn't mind it looking like this. Either way, it can't be worse than what Toei and Pierrot put out.

VLordGTZ

Asta's design isn't too hard for me to adjust to, but Yuno looks quite different.  It's doesn't look bad imo, but the characters designs have definetly changed. The OVA is being done by Xebec, so it should be pretty good from a production standpoint.  Of course, it's no indication on who will eventually adapt Black Clover for TV.  As we saw with Toriko, Jump manga can go from a great studio like Ufotable to a crappy one like Toei.  I have my fingers crossed that Black Clover won't get picked up by Toei or Pierrot.