Movies nobody else talks about

Started by Inkwolf, February 20, 2014, 11:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkwolf

There are lots of foreign movies nobody else talks about much, and they probably don't need their own threads.  What have you seen, and what do you think of it? Maybe we can all find some stuff we haven't heard of before.

Here are some I've seen and liked.

Help! I'm a fish!-- (Badly marketed in the USA as 'A Fish Tale', with a CGI cover to make people confuse it with Shark Tale.) This is a nicely animated (traditional 2D) Danish movie, and probably the best Disney-wanna-be cartoon I've seen.  Not perfect, but lots of fun.

The Snurks (AKA Boo, Zino and the Snurks, AKA Return to Gaya)  This is an odd but interesting German film, about the characters from a children's TV show who go into the real world to recover their stolen magical power source.  When I watch it, it feels like there's a lot wrong with it, but somehow I have a strange affection for this movie that I can't quite make sense of. :D

Dragon Hunters-- A CGI movie based on the Dragon Hunters cartoon.  This seems to be one of those love-it-or-hate-it films.  I love it, myself.  There's a lot more competition these days for visuals that blow you out of your seat, but the look is amazing and unique, and it's a movie I enjoy rewatching.

Little Long Nose - A Russian adaptation of the fairy tale Dwarf Longnose.  It's a bit slow-paced and gentle, without much humor, but still a charming movie. I would say it's better for young kids, but there are some fairly scary parts, I seem to recall.

DEFENSE!! DEFENSE!!___OFFENSE!! OFFENSE!!

Micki!

this thread shouldn't just sit here and catch dust..!

There's a danish 2D animation called Jungledyret Hugo which is really good, the style doesn't really translate well at all, because alot of it comes from the voice performances and style of saying things, and not so much the dialogue itself, it's naturally a little dark, but was releases in the US as a trainwreck of edits, heartless voice acting and even removing music and replacing it with really unfitting music instead, and even putting music i scenes where it wasn't meant to be music in the first place...

There are great cases, such as Felidae, which i still think is better in german, but at least translates really well into english, and wasn't messed with...
Oh well, different treatments and all, if you do wanna check it out, watch the original danish version, do yourself a favor, the american version is embarrassing and edited to the point where it literally hurts..! Also ignore the tv series, they're just an outsourced bunch of bleh...

The Rabi's Cat is another excellent movie, it's covering the jewish religion, but isn't being preachy about it, and it's lso very humorous and very well animated, it has a really pleasant style of animation and has a touch of edginess to it that i really enjoyed, it's a french movie, and is voiced in french, go check it out..!
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really love Felidae. I feel like that movie manages to transcend the language and cultural barriers that many other foreign animated films might face due to being a story not exclusively bound to either of those elements in the first place. Yes, the dialogue itself is important to the film, but translating it into other languages without messing with the film's themes and integrity is very doable due to its very broad and universal nature.

Also, while the German version may be superior, it doesn't hurt that the English voice-acting is surprisingly great, IMO.