Give Me A Series And I'll Tell You...

Started by LumRanmaYasha, October 30, 2016, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

I'm getting zilch responses trying to do this game on twitter, so I figured I might as well try it here. To make this work in a forum context, we'll have this operate similarly to the "5 Things You Associate With the Poster Above You" thread and have people ask the poster above them these questions about any series of their choosing.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So, is this specifically for anime and manga, or can you pick anything serialized?

LumRanmaYasha

Anything goes.

So, for example, when you're suggesting a series you want someone's thoughts on, do it like this:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken: Game of Thrones.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Alright, I'll take a stab at this:

Cartoon X/LRY: Pokemon (anime)

LumRanmaYasha

Pokemon:

Favorite Male: Meowth - Funniest, smartest, and most developed character in the series. I will always watch any episode that features Meowth as the focus.
Favorite Female: Dawn - Definitely had the best character arc of any of the female leads in the series in DP. She actually lost TWICE before she ever won her first contest, and though she got better it was never easy for her but she also never lost because of bullshit like Ash does in most of his league matches.
Favorite Pairing: Ash X Serena - Fuck your Ash X Misty lie of a ship that 4kids brainwashed you with, Ash X Serena is the only canon ship and it was sealed with a kiss!
Least Favorite Character: Iris - Easily the most insufferable main character in the franchise. Chiding Ash for being a kid when she's so childish she throws tantrums and fits when things don't go her way.
Who's Most Like Me: James - Affiliation with Team Rocket aside, he's a well-meaning guy who is still a kid at heart, frequently effeminate and sentimental, and a loyal friend. Definitely the most sympathetic and relatable character in Pokemon.
Most Attractive: Cynthia - This is the only acceptable answer no matter what media of the franchise you're referring to.
Three More Characters I Like: Misty, May, & Max - All pretty fun characters I'd like to see return at some point.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken: Digimon Adventure

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Digimon Adventure

Favorite Male: Izzy/Izumi- Obvious reasons, but he is intelligent, resourceful, useful, funny, and has the most touching bond with his Digimon partner, but he's also very relatable in his own way.

Favorite Female: Gatomon/Tailmon- Out of all of the Digimon partners, she easily had the most character and personality, and while that isn't saying much in and of itself, I really did like her backstory and character arc.

Favorite Pairing: Now, when it comes to DA, for some reason everyone always gets pissed at Matt because they believe that he stole away Sora from Tai. But really they should be getting mad at Sora for stealing away Matt from Tai, because clearly those two are the true ship of Digimon Adventure. Just look at how many lover spats they had and still have to this day in Tri. :sly:

Least Favorite Character: It's a toss-up between Etemon or Demidevimon, if I'm just sticking to season one, since both were annoying villains, and not in the fun way. If I were to include 02 into the equation, though, then it's definitely Yolei. Fuck that character. She was Sakura from Naruto before I even knew what Naruto was, and I despise Sakura.

Who's Most Like Me: Izzy/Izumi (again)- As I said I found him to be very relatable. I'm nowhere near as smart as he is with computers, but as a character I can really relate to how introverted he is. Even among his close friends he is still very aloof and reluctant to open up to anyone, which makes it all the more rewarding when he does.

Most Attractive: Leomon- 'Dat manly, hairy body!

Three More Characters I Like: Tai, TK, and Joe.

Cartoon X: Harry Potter

LumRanmaYasha

Favorite Male: Harry himself, I suppose. He is the perspective character and main character, so we see inside his head more and empathize the most with him.

Favorite Female: Hermoine is probably my favorite character in the series. Smart and strong-willed, but still has a lot of maturing left to do, I'd say I enjoyed her the most.

Favorite Pairing: Ron & Hermoine was definitely the couple I was most interested in seeing get together while reading through the series.

Least Favorite Character: Umbridge is arguably the most despicable and contemptible character in the series.

Who's Most Like Me: I always sympathized with Ron the most, and his problems and personality felt the most relatable.

Most Attractive: Hermoine, for the reasons I like her character, and because Emma Watson.

Three More Characters I Like: Snape, Sirius, & Luna for pretty obvious reasons.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken: A Song of Ice and Fire

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I have to go to bed early tonight, so I'll answer this one tomorrow evening after work.

In the meanwhile I had one in mind for Spark of Spirit, but you can feel free to answer it as well, CX:

Ushio and Tora

Spark Of Spirit

If you insist...

Favorite Male Character: Ushio - I can tell why the "dumb hotblooded" protagonist lost so much of its luster over the years but Ushio was quite refreshing. He was still a teenage boy with faults of his own but he had a sense of honesty and goodness to him that counteracted his naivety. I like seeing a protagonist trying to be a good guy without being called stupid for wanting to be so.

Favorite Female Character: Mayuko - She's kind of the series counterpart to Ushio in how she constantly tries to be good. She's also a bit naive in how she thinks having Asako and Ushio be a pair would make everyone happy at the expense of herself, but at least she tries to make it work. I'm particularly thankful the anime left in the standalone story where we learn more about her relationship with Tora and how she can see who he really is. By the end, she might have had it the roughest among everyone.

Favorite Pairing: Tora and Mayuko - I just said it before. They are opposites in about every way but they do bring out the best in each other. Tora makes her less naive and Mayuko makes him less hateful. Good chemistry.

Least Favorite Character: I'm not sure I have one on a narrative level. Every character served a purpose to the story and served it well. If we mean least favorite as "character I wanted to die" thing it's pretty simple. Hakumen no Mono.

Who's Most Like Me: Hyou - It's hard to explain why except that I identified with his quest in a lot of ways. Most of the characters were relateable, but Hyou was the one I felt I could easily be like.

Most Attractive: I wouldn't even know where to start.

Three More Characters I Like: Tora, Asako, and Kirio. The cast is pretty great, really.

VLord: Yu Yu Hakusho
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Ushio & Tora:

Favorite Male Character: Tora - I felt the most invested in him at the onset and that carried through the entire show. He's charming in his "tsundere" relationship with Ushio and can vacillate between being hilarious and heroic on a dime. His development throughout the course of the series and the payoff in his heroic sacrifice makes for my favorite character arc in the series.

Favorite Female Character: Mayuko - For basically all the points Spark's mentioned. She seems aloof but is a lot more aware of things and mature than she lets on, and like Ushio, has this self-sacrificing nature that is both admirable and a bit melancholy at the same time. I also love her relationship with Tora too.

Favorite Pairing: Tora & Mayuko - Again, for the reasons Spark said. They're polar opposites that are cute together, and that Mayuko still hasn't gotten over his death at the end of the series and tears up whenever she sees a hamburger is both sweet and heartbreaking.

Least Favorite Character: Satoru, mostly because of all the Beast Spear successors, he did the least and left the least impression as a result, and I was a bit disappointed in that since he had a good introduction.

Who's Most Like Me: Nagare's laid-back nature and inferiority complex reflects both who I aspire to be and how I often feel at the same time.

Most Attractive: Hinowa is "my type" both looks and personality-wise, so I'll go with her.

Three More Characters I Like: Hyou, Kirio, and Sumako had great character arcs that I felt especially satisfied by.

Spark of Spirit: Person of Interest
VlordGTZ: Hunter X Hunter

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm still doing ASOIAF tomorrow, but since both CX and Spark are free, I have one for each of you:

LumRanmaYasha: Dr. Slump

Spark of Spirit: Arrow

And I'm not sure if he's up for it, but if Avaitor would like to participate, then:

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

LumRanmaYasha

Favorite Male: Akira Toriyama - No joke, since Toriyama himself is a regularly recurring character in the series and I absolutely love him in it. The way he depicts himself as a cheap perverted loser out for a quick buck is just so hilariously self-depreciating but at the same time actually quite relatable, and his sense of humor really shines in the chapters that focus on his character in the series in particular. The way he depicts himself in the series contributed a large part in why I fell in love with the man's sense of humor and him as a mangaka himself.

Favorite Female: Arale, naturally. She's pretty simple, but always entertaining to watch and her vocal quirks are irresistibly imitable.

Favorite Pairing: Arale & Obatchaman. Like, they're literally made for each other, and I was happy seeing that they would be together in the future.

Least Favorite Character: There's not really a character I really dislike. But, even though I generally found him funny, Tsuruten did try to peek at his own daughter's panties, which was pretty creepy and uncomfortable even though it was supposed to be a joke, so I'll go with him.

Who's Most Like Me: Obatchaman is a better person than I could ever hope to be but I've always related to naive but well-meaning and polite characters like him since that's how I've always felt I was and how people have often told me I'm like.

Most Attractive: Midori. She's one of Toriyama's most conventionally attractive characters for sure, but her actual character is also really fun and enjoyable. I really like the relationship between her and Senbei, especially after they get married.

Three More Characters I Like. Akane is basically Nabiki Tendo before Nabiki Tendo and I love her conniving wit. Taro is basically the manga version of Steve Dallas and I can't help but love his ill-fated attempts to look hip and cool. And Dr. Mashirito, of course, is one of the most iconic and funniest gag villains ever and every storyline featuring him is an absolute delight.

VLordGTZ

Yu Yu Hakusho:

Favorite Male Character: Kurama - Out of the main four, he has the best character arc in the series in my opinion. 

Favorite Female Character: Shizuru – I always liked her personality.

Favorite Pairing: Kuwabara and Yukina – I found their interactions with each other to be pretty sweet.

Least Favorite Character: Doctor Ichigaki – Whenever I re-watch YYH, the fight against his team always feels dull to me.  I doesn't help that the stuff with Team Rokuyukai and Team Masho are far more entertaining.

Most Attractive: Um, I have no idea.........Botan I guess?

Three More Characters I Like: Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Hiei -  I don't think I need to explain why all three of them are great characters.

I'll do Hunter x Hunter tomorrow.  I'm cramming for an exam right now.  :sweat:

LumRanmaYasha: Pokemon Adventures

LumRanmaYasha

Pokemon Adventures:

Favorite Male Character: Ruby - He has easily the best character arc in the series, and is among the most morally and psychologically complex of the protagonists in terms of his motivations and characterization too.

Favorite Female Character: Yellow - I've always loved her. Her childish naivety that she can do the right thing without hurting anyone that gets challenged through the course of her arc and desire to keep her Pokemon from evolving because she's afraid they'll change really resonated and felt relatable to me as a kid, and still does. Even though I only finally continued past the Yellow arc of PA this year, I have re-read the Yellow arc several times over the years and her character and arc still sticks with me to this day.

Favorite Pairing: Ruby & Sapphire - Not only is the relationship between the two really endearing and the emotional foundation of the RS arc, they're the only characters who actually become an official couple in the series, and we even see them work through their relationship in the ORAS arc which I really appreciated.

Least Favorite Character: Lack-Two - It's a little unfair to judge him as a protagonist since there really is only a volume of the B2W2 arc that's ever been scanlated, so I don't know if he gets better over the course of the series, but man does the kid feel like such a Gary Stu. Like, I know a lot of people didn't care for Emerald because he was ridiculously talented and acted high and mighty too, but those were ultimately presented as character flaws and the series showed that he needed to mature and learn some humility from very early on. Lack-Two seems to have all the answers and thinks he's above everyone else and doesn't have much of a personality beyond that, and I don't really care for that.

Who's Most Like Me: X, mainly because I relate to his depression and social anxiety issues. Though, I'm probably more like Trevor in terms of my personality and nerdiness.

Most Attractive: Cynthia. Again, no matter what the media, Cynthia will always be my answer.

Three More Characters I Like: Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum comprise my favorite cast of main characters between any of the arcs and I absolutely loved the friendship and dynamic between them and how that payed off in the climax of the DP arc.

Spark Of Spirit

Favorite Male Character: John Reese - The series is partially about his quest for redemption and he never misses a chance to prove himself. He's also the funniest character in the series and has the best back story. Not to mention his fight scenes are the best.

Favorite Female Character: Detective Joss Carter - From the outset you'd figure she would be that character that would make it hard for our heroes to do their job by being someone who plays by the rules. But that quickly changes as she is pulled into the world of the Machine without knowing it. Her character arc is one of the best in the show.

Favorite Pairing: Harold and Grace. You only see their relationship in flashbacks, but it continues to be a motivating factor to Harold even years after he is supposedly dead and "moved on", though he can never quite shake her. The same is true of Grace as she still considers herself with him. Their relationship is so touching that I can't help but not consider it my favorite.

Least Favorite Character: It's unpopular to say Shaw, but I'll say it. She changes the least of every character in the show, her personality is flat, and her storyline in season 5 was incredibly repetitive. She has good moments, and I don't hate her, but she is easily the least interesting character in the show.

Who's Most Like Me: That would have to be Fusco. Though I've never been as corrupt as he was, I could easily see someone like Reese kicking me and my stupid foibles into shape. It takes a while for Fusco to finally shape up, but it is a hopeful message that even he can be redeemed.

Most Attractive: Probably Root. Amy Acker is pretty easy on the eyes.

Three More Characters I Like: Elias, Leon, and Zoe. I wish we could have seen more of Leon, though. He was hilarious.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton