Give Me A Series And I'll Tell You...

Started by LumRanmaYasha, October 30, 2016, 10:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

Favorite Male Character- Hawkeye, a good deal closer to the character from the comics than Jeremy Renner's spin. He always has a good quip to add, but despite his joking nature, he's the first to fight when something's up.

Favorite Female Character- Wasp. Janet is initially haughty at first, merely there to finance Hank and to look attractive as a fighter, but she's a natural born leader, and when the going gets tough, she's great at taking charge. Her development is stronger in the comics, which had decades of time to build her up, but the show did well with only two seasons.

Favorite Pairing- Power Man and Iron Fist. They had, what, two episodes, but what we got of the classic team was glorious.

Least Favorite Character- I'll have to come back to you, actually. I haven't seen the show in a while, but I don't recall being disappointed in any character's interpretation.

Who's Most Like Me- I'd guess a combination of Tony Stark's egocentricism and Clint Barton's wisecracking foolishness, with a shade of Hulk rage.

Most Attractive- If we're talking the movies, you can't top the Chris'. But in EMH, idk, Captain Marvel?

Three More Characters That I Like- I'm going to cheat a little and say the Fantastic Four, since their episode was great. Hulk and Thing's poker game fight was excellent. :D
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

A Song of Ice and Fire:

Favorite Male Character: Theon Greyjoy- This may seem like a strange choice for show only watchers, and even some book readers, but if you know me you know that more than just a great character, I love a great character arc, and when it comes to character arcs, I'm an absolute sucker for redemption arcs. That's what made it so hard to pick between Theon or Jaimie as my favorites, but in the end I had to give the slight edge to Theon because of how unique his POV chapters feel, ESPECIALLY in A Dance with Dragons in which you get a lot of insight into his character's psyche in a way that only a book can tell you, which is an advantage that the show unfortunately doesn't have the luxury of expressing in the same way. What I like about him is that despite starting out as an unlikable character to the contrary, you can completely understand the reason for him being the way that he was when he was a ward of the Starks. He was essentially a glorified hostage to make sure that his father never again tried to rebel against the Iron Throne or any of the lands of Westeros. And keep in mind, he grew up on the Iron Islands for the first nine years of his life, so being taken away to live with another family knowing full well that behind all of the courtesies and fair treatment he was essentially living on the edge of life and death is already a pretty traumatizing thing. But the funny thing is, when you really get into his character, THAT's not what ate at him. What got to him, much like what got to Jon Snow, is that he saw what the Starks had as a family that his own family lacked, and while he couldn't admit it to himself, he always wanted to be one of them. Of course, as we know Theon is a character who makes some pretty bad decisions early on in the series, and his whole character arc deals with paying for the consequences of those decisions, but through his suffering and the complete breakdown of his identity, Theon rediscovers himself and starts to become truer to who he really is at his core. Is that a noble, just person? Well, not really, but he is a much more interesting a likable character by enduring his hardships, and I can't wait to see where his character arc leads him in The Winds of Winter, and whether or not he manages to survive the series or not.

Favorite Female Character: Arya Stark- Once again the books' ability to go into the characters' POV is a huge advantage here. If Theon's character arc had a strong theme of discovery his real identity, then Arya's is all about losing it. Rather than a redemptive arc, this is the opposite extreme of someone who descends into darkness and violence, but once again it's hardly black and white and what makes this so interesting is how you can follow Arya's mental and psychological mind-track every step of the way. While she starts out as an innocent, playful tomboyish character with a large third for adventure, she must deal with a cruel set of horrible, unpreventable circumstances that spiral her life into chaos and steadily change her goal of becoming a valiant swordswoman into a revenge-driven assassin. Yet, this arc is so fascinating, and the events and characters surrounding it so genuinely memorable that you can't help but be drawn into Arya's journey, and in turn find her loss of identity to be simultaneously tragic yet strangely gratifying in its own strange sort of way. And once again, it's worth mentioning that it was a really hard choice I had here, with Brienne coming in as a close second.

Favorite Pairing: I know that this category is probably meant for romances, and in that case I would probably go with Jaimie and Brienne for obvious reasons, but really I want to interpret it in another way and instead place my favorite duo of friends from the series here thus far, and that would easily be Tyrion and Bronn, once again for obvious reasons. One is a cunning imp, the other is a feisty swordsman, but both make an absolutely entertaining pair. While Bronn may have just been hired help and bailed on Tyrion when things got too tough, I still like how even then they left on good terms and considered each other friends, since it's their non-tolerance for either partaking in or putting up with any bullshit that brought them together in the first place. They are both opportunists at heart and that allowed them to stick together for three great books. But what really works here is how well they play off of each other. In this regard, I have to give the show a lot of credit for really getting this right, as well.

Least Favorite Character: If we're talking about the show, then The Sand Snakes, easily. They are all atrocious characters, and not for the right reasons. If we're talking about the books, then I'd have to give it's a lot harder for me to pick because while there are plenty of characters that I detest, it's not for being badly written, but only because they are intended to come off that way. I guess in that regard I'd have to say "Young Griff," Who I feel we are maybe meant to identify with a little bit but who feels like too much of an arrogant little prick for me to really get behind him. Then again, knowing Martin's writing style, that may have been the intention all along.

Who's Most Like Me: Samwell Tarly- This one was the easiest category for me when talking about this series. Samwell in general feels like a stand-in for most of the audience, and the first time I came to know this character, I immediately had the thought: "Yep, if I lived in this world, that'd be me." He's an initially weak-willed, reluctant recruit of the Night's Watch who hates violence (and absolutely sucks at fighting), but loves books and gaining knowledge. He slowly opens up to his friends more, especially to Jon Snow, once he manages to bond with them, though, much like I do after my initial shy phase around meeting new people, and despite being thrown into an intimidating environment, he quickly adapts and finds his useful role within his new environment. This is something that I can relate to a lot, especially these days with my recent job and having to apply my knowledge on a regular basis. But at his heart, Samwell is also essentially the closest thing that Westeros has to nerd, so of course I can relate to him on that level as well. ;)

Most Attractive- Ummm....in the books, I have no idea, since while I have character descriptions to go on, I really have no idea what they look like in the author's original vision. For the show, I'd go with Margaery since Natalie Dormer is the type of actress that I personally find attractive.

Three More Characters that I like:

This is way too hard to narrow down to just three, so I'll split it into four categories:

Major POV Characters: Tyrion Lannister, Jaimie Lannister, and Jon Snow, for pretty obvious reasons:

Minor POV Characters: Jon Connington, Barristan Selmy, Brienne

Non-POV characters: Sandor Clegane "The Hound," Varys, Petyr Baelish "Littlefinger"

Mysterious Characters: Euron Greyjoy "Crow's Eye" (WAY better than in the show), Cold Hands, Lady Stoneheart

Pharass

Those are some great choices, Dr.
When I first started reading A Song of Ice and Fire my favorite character was, rather predictably, Tyrion. Eventually, as I progressed further into the series, his older brother eventually usurped his spot, thanks to his truly excellent growth as a character.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Thanks! To be fair, Tyrion IS a great character, and also has a great character arc throughout the series so far (The Mereneese Blot does a great series of blog post analysis articles about it and other character arcs from the series), so he's definitely a lot of peoples' favorite for a reason, and easily still in my top five. But yes, Jaimie has surpassed him in my eyes as well, which is something that I couldn't have even fathomed at the beginning of the series.