Previous topic - Next topic

LumRanmaYasha

Detective Conan
Vagabond
DMZ
Spider-Man Blue
Ibicus

Pharass

I must confess that with no more votes coming in, I had pretty much pronounced this tournament dead (or at least in a coma). Glad to see that I was wrong. Now, without further ado, here are the results:

DMZ: 9 pts
Vagabond: 10 pts
Spider-Man Blue: 8 pts
Ibicus: 7pts
Detective Conan: 11 pts

Vagabond and Detective Conan move on to the next round.

I shall try to have the following match up soon.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Round 1, Match 4:

JSA: The Golden Age by James Robinson & Paul Smith

Vs.

Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson

Vs.

Fullmetal Alchemist by Hiromu Arakawa

Vs.

Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

Vs.

Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier by Patrick Cothias & André Juillard

--------

My votes:

Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier
Fullmetal Alchemist
Calvin & Hobbes
The Long Halloween
The Golden Age

The Golden Age is the only one of these that I haven't read.
Shameless self-promotion: I wrote about Les 7 Vies on my blog a few years back, here's the post, in case anyone's interested.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Hopefully I can get my hands on Long Halloween and Golden Age and read those soon. Don't think I'll be able to find Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier unless it's on Comixology though. Either way I'll try and vote before the end of the week.

Avaitor

I'll try to get to some of the ones I've missed, as well.

Also, as I've been rereading The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, I'm still pretty bummed out that it didn't make it through. It's far and beyond among the best origin stories I've ever read, and adds so much to such an already rich character.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

gunswordfist

Dammit, I need to read some of these to vote for JSA. Amazing book.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Pharass

Guys, I've given it some thought and I've decided to replace my choices with The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew. Its an amazing comic and as much as I like the one I plan to replace it with, I feel that Liew's comic is ultimately, more deserving at being in this tournament.

If any of you want to change one of your nominated comics for another, please let me know.
Thank you.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

LumRanmaYasha

Calvin & Hobbes -
Spoiler
Classic comic of pure creativity, with beautiful and hillarious artwork by Bill Watterson, especially his watercolor illustrations, and capturing the pure essence of childhood imagination. Means a lot to me and has been a constant source of creative inspiration in my life.
[close]

Fullmetal Alchemist -
Spoiler
Generally great manga with a wide cast of lovable characters, contemptible villains, and interesting ideas while also just being an excellent battle-shonen with great fights with intense emotional stakes.
[close]

The Long Halloween -
Spoiler
Best origin story for Two-Face that I've ever seen with an intriguing mystery culminating in one hell of a twist.
[close]

The Golden Age -
Spoiler
Interesting Elseworlds story about how the JSA might realistically be affected and tormented by their involvement in WWII, as well as fun, goofy plot about the Ultra-Humanite taking over the Americommando's body and transplanting the brain of Hitler into Daniel Dunbar of all people to turn him into a superhuman in this ridiculously convoluted plan to take over the United States (and then the world) through political grandstanding and McCarthyist rhetoric. It's so dumb it's turns around and becomes amazing.
[close]

Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier -
Spoiler
I looked, but I wasn't able to find and read an english version of this. Sorry, Pharass.  :(
[close]

Avaitor

Calvin & Hobbes
The Golden Age
Fullmetal Alchemist
The Long Halloween
Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier

I don't really like the middle two at all, but I can't find the last one, either.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dreamer2

Quote from: Avaitor on March 24, 2017, 04:41:08 PM
Calvin & Hobbes
The Golden Age
Fullmetal Alchemist
The Long Halloween
Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier

I don't really like the middle two at all, but I can't find the last one, either.

:butbut:

That's all that needs to be said. As for my votes, I feel like I'm being rude to Calvin and Hobbes, but I have to do it. Sorry

Long Halloween
Fullmetal Alchemist
Golden Age
Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier
Calvin and Hobbes

Pharass

Results:

JSA: The Golden Age: 9 pts
Calvin & Hobbes: 14 pts
Fullmetal Alchemist: 15 pts
Batman: The Long Halloween: 12 pts
Les 7 Vies de l'Epervier: 9 pts

Calvin & Hobbes and Fullmetal Alchemist move on to Round 2.
The next match will be up soon.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Pharass

Round 1, Match 5:

Static Shock by Dwayne McDuffie

Vs.

Digger by Ursula Vernon

Vs.

Boxers & Saints by Gene Luen Yang

Vs.

Pearls Before Swine by Stephen Pastis

Vs.

Wolverine Origin by Paul Jenkins, Andy Kubert and Richard Isanove

--------------

My votes:

Digger
Boxers & Saints
Origin
Pearls Before Swine
Static Shock

To be honest, I'm not really a fan of Pearls (though I don't exactly dislike it). Its just that I haven't been able to find the version of Static written by McDuffie. A search on Comixology turned up Static Shock comics written by others, but not the one by its original creator.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

gunswordfist

That's a shame. It's a decent story.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody