Excel Saga is a great manga

Started by Duomaxwe, December 19, 2016, 08:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duomaxwe

So, I just logged into this forum for the first time in ages.

Just felt like posting to say I really did enjoy the Excel Saga manga when I read it, it and Hellsing are the only 2 manga I actually own hard copies off based on the time in my life I bought them before reading manga online >.>

Though considering I believe Excel Saga still doesn't exist online which is insane that worked out well.

As I posted before at the time when the final volume came out, I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending, I strongly wish there was more information about the old society Kabapu and  :il_very_annoyed: were from, and some more general answers to things that were goofy throughout the series.

Like I enjoyed the goofiness, but giving proper explanations to things would've been sweet, like why Hyatt always died and how she and Elaga had special skills and did Elaga really just coincidentally join the crew?

Foggle

Good to see you again! :el_hail:

I think Rikdo bit off a little more than he could chew with the storytelling and world-building of the later books. There were definitely elements of it in there since the beginning, but it took too long for the plot to get off the ground and the series would have greatly benefited from another 3 volumes to truly resolve things. In the end, it's still my favorite comedy/comic of all time - I've never laughed harder at any other piece of media in my life - and the characters were wonderful, but the actual story was almost impossible to follow and badly told.

I do hope that someday Rikdo will either return to Excel Saga or write something similar again (and it actually gets translated in some form). I miss this manga and the original forum's community to an absurd degree. The feeling I got from reading it, the way it inspired my own writing and sense of humor, the friends I made because of it... they're irreplaceable.

Duomaxwe

I don't think it needed to be longer, he had plenty of time to clarify the story he just choose not to : /

It is super funny, and the comedy is why I loved the journey so much, something similar to One Piece (the style of humour isn't similar just the fact they're both very funny), One Piece is actually a great comparison I think just as I write this now.

One Piece has a lot of goofy and fun antics, but Oda packs it full of a fantastic plot that all connects together and is gradually revealed over time. I was probably around 17 years old when I first read about Solaria and thought that was awesome, I waited for 10 years to find more out about the civilisation Kabapu and Il Palazzo were from and he just ditched that : /

I actually think it might even be a Japanese thing maybe? To hint on that cool idea but then abandon it for more goofy antics instead.

As I say I still hold Excel Saga in super high regard, but I was bitter when I read the last chapter and I'm still bitter now, that instead of giving us more info on the history he hinted at, he did the Holy Brownie thing which as an Excel Saga reader you had no knowledge of. And even with the Internet I still don't fully understand what happened at the end. I haven't re-read the chapter since then, I must do that to see if it helps.

Lord Il

Quote from: Duomaxwe on December 19, 2016, 08:30:11 PM
So, I just logged into this forum for the first time in ages.
It's great to see activity in the Excel Saga section. :il_hahaha:

Quote from: Duomaxwe on December 19, 2016, 08:30:11 PMJust felt like posting to say I really did enjoy the Excel Saga manga when I read it, it and Hellsing are the only 2 manga I actually own hard copies off based on the time in my life I bought them before reading manga online >.>
I hear that. ^_^b
Black Lagoon and Excel Saga are the only two hard copy manga series I own. But the Excel Saga manga was more worthwhile to purchase since it was a totally different entity from the anime.

Quote from: Duomaxwe on December 19, 2016, 08:30:11 PMAs I posted before at the time when the final volume came out, I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending, I strongly wish there was more information about the old society Kabapu and  :il_very_annoyed: were from, and some more general answers to things that were goofy throughout the series.

Like I enjoyed the goofiness, but giving proper explanations to things would've been sweet, like why Hyatt always died and how she and Elaga had special skills and did Elaga really just coincidentally join the crew?
Not going to lie, your points are quite valid. The world of Excel Saga is shrouded with some amount of mystery, even after completion of the series.
I don't know.. it's like Rikdo wrote this in such a way to have us wanting more from it. But the mystery does make it fun.

I do wish sometimes that Holy Brownie had gotten a proper translation.
It may not have shed much light, but it's often piqued my curiosity.