Once More, With Feeling

Started by ElricJC, February 27, 2017, 02:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElricJC

Not sure what happened a ways back, but when I tried to seek out the forums here they vanished, but during a search for the parody translation Foggle and Co did of Municipal Force Daitenzen way back (which I am still looking for) I rediscovered the forums. Some of you may remember me, but if you don't, well howdy.

For those that do, life's been a full deal for me. Last year shortly after I turned 36 I was officially married, and am in the process, albeit slow, of trying to secure funding for a house and land somewhere, at some point.

In the meantime I am still writing, though admittedly my writing career is about as lively as an Amish rave party where everyone was dropping Ambien instead of ecstasy, but hey, work in progress, eh? Largely given up on shopping around the first novel for the time being and am instead working on some more free work just to resharpen the old skills, when I have time in an increasingly active life.  I also finally caught up to the end of Excel Saga, and am admittedly a little meh on the ending of it, but it was a fun run.

So, I'll try to pop my head around the door more often, and with luck I will find my way back here again.

Cheers, all.

gunswordfist

QuoteIn the meantime I am still writing, though admittedly my writing career is about as lively as an Amish rave party where everyone was dropping Ambien instead of ecstasy
:D :D :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuL9V32aGFs
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Welcome back Elric! It still saddens me that the old forum basically just up and vanished one day, and almost no one from it has stuck around since. I'm happy to see you again - it reminds me of the good old days! :el_hail:

Quote from: ElricJC on February 27, 2017, 02:10:34 AM
Not sure what happened a ways back, but when I tried to seek out the forums here they vanished, but during a search for the parody translation Foggle and Co did of Municipal Force Daitenzen way back (which I am still looking for) I rediscovered the forums.
Ha, that should still be floating around somewhere on one of my or Micki's hard drives. I'll have to look for it sometime.

QuoteFor those that do, life's been a full deal for me. Last year shortly after I turned 36 I was officially married, and am in the process, albeit slow, of trying to secure funding for a house and land somewhere, at some point.

In the meantime I am still writing, though admittedly my writing career is about as lively as an Amish rave party where everyone was dropping Ambien instead of ecstasy, but hey, work in progress, eh? Largely given up on shopping around the first novel for the time being and am instead working on some more free work just to resharpen the old skills, when I have time in an increasingly active life.  I also finally caught up to the end of Excel Saga, and am admittedly a little meh on the ending of it, but it was a fun run.
Congratulations on your marriage! I remember when you were working on your novel; it's too bad it still hasn't been picked up by a publisher yet. :( I've unfortunately never actually finished any of the ones I've started (and I've started a lot...). To be honest, despite owning what remains of the forum, I haven't read the last two volumes yet myself. Life kept getting in the way, and now it just feels weird knowing it's over when my memories of the characters and community are so great. Someday I'll get around to it too.

ElricJC

Good to see you, Foggle. Yeah, I remember the old times  :el_hail:, hopefully I can stick around longer this go around.

It is disappointing about the novel, but one's first written novel is not necessarily the first one to be published. I still have it kicking about, so perhaps one day I'll find a taker for it. It is for a pretty niche audience, so there's that.

And thanks, married life has been good for me. My wife is encouraging me to write again, and I think I might take a stab at it once more, even if it is only Fallout or Magic the Gathering fanfic, just something to get the creative juices flowing again.

Foggle

Quote from: ElricJC on February 28, 2017, 10:35:26 AM
And thanks, married life has been good for me. My wife is encouraging me to write again, and I think I might take a stab at it once more, even if it is only Fallout or Magic the Gathering fanfic, just something to get the creative juices flowing again.
That's great to hear! It's really hard to get back on that horse once you've been off it for a while, but it's so nice if someone you love is there cheering you on. I need to work on starting smaller myself, perhaps with some fanfic as well.

Dr. Insomniac

Have you considered self-publishing your novel? Like with print-on-demand?

ElricJC

Oh, I have considered it. Finding an artist who would work on the cover with me has proven to be difficult, what with my limited funds, and the only artists I have been in contact with have the attention spans of fruit flies, or are just ass holes. Plus, to be honest, there's still something about the book that nags at me, like perhaps I need to redraft the very start. Some people have said it starts slow, others have said it's perfect and really picks up after about page 50 (of a 448 page novel), but maybe it's just the perfectionist in me talking. Having another editor look at it first would be helpful too, and even though I AM an editor, it's difficult to truly go over one's own manuscript as ruthlessly as an editor needs to be. I don't mind it sitting for a span. After all, it was first written in 2004, redrafted in 2011, and finished in its current form in 2014, so it's not like it's going anywhere fast at the moment  ;)