Ushio & Tora

Started by Spark Of Spirit, July 10, 2015, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

That's the original Tora VA from the original OVA! Wow, great get. Unfortunately, Ushio's VA died, but the new guy hits it just right.

Cast list includes the same VA for Asako and Shigure, too. They really went out of their way for this dub.

Very good job on this, Sentai. I'll definitely be picking this set up.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Most of the casting seems spot-on, and it's a great touch that they brought back as many of the actors from the OVA dub as possible. The one casting decision I'm not sure about is John Swasey as Hakumen no Mono. He's done great villain performances, especially Crocodile in One Piece, but Megumi Hayashibara's performance as Hakumen was very feminine and whispery, whereas Swasey has a very deep and gritty voice. It'll be interesting to see how he performs the role in contrast to Hayashibara's.

Spark Of Spirit

To be fair, Megumi Hayashibara's Hakumen performance is really one of a kind. There are very few VAs who could pull that off, never mind a veteran like her. The dub might have decided to go another direction with it for that reason, but if its anything like this then I'm perfectly willing to give it a chance.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

For context, someone listed what exactly the anime didn't adapt from the manga:

Spoiler
Chapters 35 to 74
*35 to 38 : "The Houriki Heretic" arc, a crazy monk story (some pages of chapter 35 were adapted. Appearance of Kyoura, the crazy monk)
*54 to 58 : "You'll be dry arc", an oni story (introduction of Katayama and Kagami, two musicians buddies)
*58 to 63 : "The Warped Night" arc, a vampire story (introduction of Ayumi, a girl Ushio, Katayama and Kagami meet in a ferry; Hyou reappears)
*64 to 68: "The guardian god of the lake", a demon like story (Ushio is still hanging with Katayama, Kagami and Ayumi)
*69 to 74 : "The mist comes" arc a mist demon story (Ushio meetsTokuno, a former yakuza)

These stories were enjoyable, with some scary ones.

*82 to 84 : "Beastly Karakuri" arc, a scary doll story (centered on Asuko and Mayuko)

Chapters 116 to 138
*116 to 121 : "The Snow doesn't vanish at dawn" arc, a yuki onna story
*122 : a funny transition chapter (no real plot there)
*123 to 132 : "Countdown railroad" arc, a giant monster story (Ushio travels with his father in a train to come back to Tokyo; Kyoura the crazy monk reappears)
*133 to 138 : "High Speed Eater" arc, a motorcycles illegal competitions story (more development betweek Ushio and Asuko)

*166 : a sports competition at school

Chapters 175 to 219
*175 to 179 : "The day I swang the swing" arc (introduction of Minoru, a boy turned blind after a plane crash)
*180 : A new year chapter
*181 to 191 : "The Seal of Gedou" arc (introduction of Minoo, a transfer student girl, who must retrieve a powerful demon to her village)
*192 to 218 : "The Western Bakemono War", a battle between the demons of the East and the demon of the West (introduction of Shinno, Ibuki and You, Kyou and Nao 3 western Kamataichi who didn't appear in the anime; Hitotsuki, the osa of Tonno, Raishin and Kagari come back; first appearance of Ushio's mother; first fight against the Hakumen no Mono)
*219 : "Full Moon", a 1-chapter story

Chapters 231-238
*231-234 : " , mandrill-like demons story (centered on Kirio, and how he went to live with Mayuko)
*235-236 : "Gouki arc" (Hyou comes back)
*237 : chapter centered on journalist Moriya,who follows Ushio's steps (more like a recap chapter)

246 : a transition, high school story
[close]

Found that comment on ANN. They look like cool stories, but with 39 episodes I can see why they were skipped.

gunswordfist

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on July 21, 2017, 02:07:47 PM
Most of the casting seems spot-on, and it's a great touch that they brought back as many of the actors from the OVA dub as possible. The one casting decision I'm not sure about is John Swasey as Hakumen no Mono. He's done great villain performances, especially Crocodile in One Piece, but Megumi Hayashibara's performance as Hakumen was very feminine and whispery, whereas Swasey has a very deep and gritty voice. It'll be interesting to see how he performs the role in contrast to Hayashibara's.
I'm sure it's already been said but it doesn't have to be the same thing.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

The dub is being streamed on HIDIVE.

Also, it's out on DVD/BR. I already have my copy ordered (though won't be getting it for awhile thanks to Sentai being Sentai) though its a shame it has yet to air on TV. It really deserves a Toonami run.

gunswordfist

Toonami has ran/is running pretty much every recent anime that I've wanted to see. U&T is pretty much the last one.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 04, 2017, 03:45:40 PM
The dub is being streamed on HIDIVE.

Also, it's out on DVD/BR. I already have my copy ordered (though won't be getting it for awhile thanks to Sentai being Sentai) though its a shame it has yet to air on TV. It really deserves a Toonami run.
I've been watching the dub on HiDive, and it sounds great so far!  I'm curious to see how Hakumen is handled when he shows up though.