What made you start reading the manga?

Started by Markness, May 05, 2017, 09:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markness

I am just curious. What made you start reading the manga of Excel Saga? I remember seeing a volume (Not sure which number it was. If it was vol. 7 or 8, I will beat myself up) of it at Austin Books & Comics' Sidekick Store but I didn't buy it. At the time, I was too comfort zoned by action manga à la Dragon Ball and thought I would never be able to enjoy something like Excel Saga. But after a while, I saw the anime of it (Around the time Funimation rescued it) since Anime Metric's review said it was good if you were burned out on current anime fare (At the time I was) and, combined with my maturing tastes in manga, I realized I would be able to enjoy the manga. I also have a thing about wanting source materials and I had a growing desire to support underrated manga so those things helped as well. I started hunting down the manga as well as ordering it online to make up for lost time and bought any physical copy I could find even if they weren't in chronological order; I actually found a retail copy of the ever elusive volume 7 at a specialty store in Dallas even though I didn't know what was going on before it. Out of all my book safaris, finding the Excel Saga volumes were the best ones.

Micki!

I got into it years after i got the Anime, i didn't realize there was a manga and i was curious how different it was so i bought it and did some research, and learned that the anime was made when it was only 5 books in, and that it was still ongoing, so i started ordering them online when it was still only 12 volumes in, i caught up around volume 14 and started submitting fanart ever since, and almost every volume from then on forwards has a submission of mine in it, although real poor since i'm a much better artist now, but what can you do, haha

Turned out i liked the manga much more, the humor is way more dry and down my alley  :il_hahaha:
A true genius does not need boundaries such as 'common sense'