Upcoming Anime

Started by Spark Of Spirit, May 30, 2017, 06:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Insomniac

A 100% Okada show. Complete, unfiltered Mari Okada. I'm scared.

LumRanmaYasha

I'm excited. Bad or good, there's no way an Okada-directed anime won't be something strange or interesting.  :D

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

Dr. Insomniac

Foggle

Well, uh, it looks better than Golden Wings?

Dr. Insomniac

Anyone else notice Reinhard's ship has testicles now? I know the show was always pretty homoerotic, but this feels too on the nose.

And I checked the production staff, most of them were directors, scriptwriters, and storyboarders for Kuroko's Basketball. So this isn't just gonna be gay Germans in space. This is gonna be gay basketballers in space.

LumRanmaYasha

I prefer the OVA's character designs and color design. While these are certainly modern designs, they also feel like generic pretty-boyish models you'd see out of any fujoshi-skewing show. And Reinhard's ship is way too overdesigned in the new show. The original's simple and sleek look seemed more realistic and iconic. Regardless, while I have problems with Kuroko's Basketball narratively, the staff behind the anime were skilled so I'd expect this show to be well-made. I'm not expecting to like the tv anime more than the original OVA series, but I don't think it'll be a bad adaptation either.

Spark Of Spirit

I still find this whole project unnecessary. I'd rather see something that has not yet been adapted yet get the chance. There's plenty of material out there.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on September 22, 2017, 12:56:18 PM
I still find this whole project unnecessary. I'd rather see something that has not yet been adapted yet get the chance. There's plenty of material out there.
Yeah, the original anime is already content-rich and one of the medium's definitive works. It's like remaking The Wire for NBC or something.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While some could argue that this is primarily a way to expose a relatively obscure classic to a wider audience and a new generation in general, I feel doing an HD remaster of the original and tweaking it just enough to work on broadcast television could also work, but to be fair not as many people would watch that unless they were to pull a Dragon Ball Kai and bring back all of the original cast to re-record their lines with modern sound equipment to update the show's presentation. That would be virtually impossible for a much less well-known property like LOTGH, though.

I'm not really against the idea of a remake, though. I'm just not too keen on those new character designs, but I'll give the show a fair shot regardless.

VLordGTZ

LOTGH already has a HD remaster, so there probably wouldn't be much point in making another one.  I haven't seen a lot of LOTGH, but I'm not too bothered by these character design changes since they aren't ridiculously drastic like in Parasyte's anime.  My perspective is that this remake exists to expose it to a new audience in a similar vein to the Space Battleship Yamato remakes.  I know many people who refuse to watch classic anime, because "they look old and outdated" (which is dumb but people think it's a valid excuse).  I don't think this will be any better than the original (it might be worse), but it will at least expose the series to an audience that would otherwise have never touched it.

gunswordfist

Just want Samurai Executioner adapted.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

VLordGTZ

OPM Season 2 being produced at J.C. Staff.

That's uh.....unexpected, but I'm personally not very concerned.  Most of the highlight staff on Season 1 were freelancers, so production moving away from Madhouse doesn't guarantee a drastic change in quality.  That being said, the loss of Shingo Natsume as director is didsapointing since he had a lot of connections to talented animators.  In the end, only time will tell how this turns out.