OK K.O.! Let's Be Heroes

Started by Daikun, June 14, 2017, 04:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daikun

2016 was mainly a year of duds for Cartoon Network. Bunnicula showed potential, but was barely made visible by the network. PPG is a pale remake of its 90s counterpart and I found Mighty Magiswords to be a chore to sit through even half an episode.

Now it looks like CN might be in the upswing again with their latest series, OK K.O.! It's created by Ian Jones-Quartey (who worked on Steven Universe) and it takes place in a world where everyone has superpowers, and the main characters--K.O., Enid, and Radicles--are in the lowest tier, working at a convenience store in Lakewood Plaza Turbo. I find the characters fun and endearing and I like the mix of styles from various decades. Anime and video games are the most obvious references, but I was also surprised to see some 1970s culture in there. K.O. and his mother are a throwback to martial arts films of that era, the music consists of jazz and disco, and they occasionally pay homage to classic Hanna-Barbera. (Check out the CN Studios sequence past the credits. ;)) Also, Jim Cummings is the villain! :swoon:

The series premieres in August, but the first six episodes are available now on CN Video. (Click the "Full Episodes" tab.) I highly recommend checking these out.

gunswordfist

I've heard a little bit about O.K. K.O...or rather, seen some promo art
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Avaitor

I don't know too much about this one, other than the creator is Rebecca Sugar's partner and was an important contributor to Steven Universe. But the concept looks more appealing than Mighty Magiswords, which is a bit too ugly for me.

I might check those episodes out, but there's a chance that I'll wait until August when it officially hits. But I'm curious enough.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Daxdiv

Only watched the first 2 episodes so far. I do like what I am watching. Also if you're like me and watching it off your on-demand provider, the OK KO group has a list of the intended viewing order of the episodes.

LumRanmaYasha

I've been waiting for this to become a series ever since the pilot came out years ago. I've loved all the shorts they've done since and have been anticipating the official premiere in August, and it feels so satisfying to see it finally come out. Definitely have to get on watching these episodes soon.

gunswordfist

I like the character designs. I did like the slide kick episode but outside of that, I wasn't grabbed by the two episodes i saw.

Dr. Insomniac

There are some parts I like, but parts of the show don't seem like they were finished. Too many shots of the characters looking elastic that there's too little of a consistent style. Something the creator defends in a tweet, but I don't agree. Feels too first draft for my liking.

Daikun

The show premieres August 1 at 6:30PM.
Interesting that they would start on a Tuesday.

Daikun

Here's the month of premieres. If you've already seen the 6 episodes online, you can skip the first two days if you wish.

Also, reruns will air on Boomerang starting August 7.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Daikun on July 28, 2017, 11:16:00 PM
Here's the month of premieres. If you've already seen the 6 episodes online, you can skip the first two days if you wish.

Also, reruns will air on Boomerang starting August 7.
:shit: If I ever needed to be convinced to never get cable again, that schedule sure just did it for me.

FoxKidsLover16

I just started watching this show. I'm about 3 episodes in and i'm enjoying it. I will admit that the art style was something that I had to get used to and the humor isn't my cup of tea, but I really enjoyed the characters and the plots. Plus, Jim Cummings did a fantastic job as Lord Boxman and I eventually warmed up to the art style by episode 3. I'm definitely going to watch more of this show. It's a great addition to Cartoon Network's lineup. I'm probably going to watch the rest of the episodes that have been released so far soon.

Daikun

Premieres are now being moved to Fridays, and this week's episode will be a half-hour special.

EDIT: It wasn't the special. It was just two regular episodes. The special will be on Monday at 6:10PM.

Peanutbutter

Weird that its getting a thirty minute special already, but at least CN has been promoting it. I like that the show is starting to form a main story arc too with those references to what happened in the past with that donut shop. The recent episode about Enid's past with Elodie has become my favorite episode so far. The one where Steve Ogg from GTA guest stars is a great episode too.

I think the series is already starting to find its footing!

LumRanmaYasha

I finally got a chance to check out this show recently, and I'm in love. The quality of animation and creativity of the stories is absolutely wonderful and everything I could've hoped for. Smart morals and surprisingly strong characterization and continuity are big pluses too. This show is shaping up to becoming of my favorite ongoing cartoons!

Peanutbutter

What's great about the show is that no one in the show so far comes across as obnoxious. Rad, and some of the one shot characters would be unbearable in lesser hands, but they aren't annoying at all here thanks to good characterization.