Author Topic: What Are You Watching?  (Read 81222 times)

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
Re: What Are You Watching?
« Reply #2056 on: April 05, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »
Zac Bertschy. Of course.

The idea that this show was riffing on mecha anime of all stripes – up to and including the then-new Evangelion – really landed with late 90s otaku, who still marveled at the novelty of shows that winked at them directly.
This is not actually why most people like this show. The fact that it was funny was beside the point. It was a fun space opera at a time when everything was ripping NGE off and being uber serious. It was a breath of fresh air. I think most would find it so now since shows like this are still rare now.

To think the only reason it was popular because it was winking at otaku like the reviewer is a type of narcissism I could only expect from ANN.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

• Beautiful Dreamer
  • ACROSS Star 1
  • Love is a Boomerang
    • My Art Blog!
« Reply #2057 on: April 05, 2017, 09:38:02 PM »
While I can understand his problem with the contradiction of the show saying "real life isn't like mecha anime" and then playing mecha tropes straight, I don't think he's giving enough credit to the show's critique and reaffirmation of otaku culture, and moreover, how pop culture can bring people together, yet people may interpret it differently within a different cultural contexts or re-appropriate it to suit their particular philosophies, which acts as a commentary/critique on the religiosity of media and fan culture. How MSN embraces the fun and goofy side of mecha whilst contrasting that with it's more serious aspects helped make it a fun, thoughtful and self-aware comedic reconstruction of the genre. He's ignoring the thematic mountain for the molehill.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
« Reply #2058 on: April 06, 2017, 11:52:27 PM »
So, due to being busy with my job, I have to use my free-time sparingly. About 90% of that is being spent on Nioh, my favorite piece of any kind of media or entertainment to come out in years. I'm also playing a couple of other games here and there.

After that I'm currently almost finished with "The Name of the Wind" and soon after plan to read the sequel novel. I was thinking of re-reading Stephen King's "It" in preparation for the remake later this year (which looks surprisingly good going by the first trailer, though I'm still a bit skeptical without Carry Fukunaga on board), but passed on the idea since I just read it two years ago and it's still fairly fresh in my memory. Plus, I still have "The Stand" waiting for me to delve through. I may give the TV mini-series a re-watch one of these days just to relive some cheesy nostalgic memories, though.

I have also been keeping up with all four CW DC shows, so as you might expect that eats up about four hours of my time every single weak, though the season is now almost over.

And then I'm keeping up with several manga plus have a backlog of DC comics sitting on my shelf that I still haven't even touched yet.

So, as you can probably tell my time left for anime is limited, and I've already been keeping up with Dragon Ball Super and Yowamushi Pedal, so all that considered, I'm only really watching two shows from this season: MHA and Boruto, both of which have had excellent premieres.

I'm not sure how I'm going to fit Rage of Bahamut into my time-slot as well, but being an exclusive of a separate streaming service doesn't really help much, so I may just have to pass on it for now and come back to it later on, as much as I've been eager to watch it.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2059 on: April 18, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
So last week, I watched the Patlabor OVA, and I just saw the first movie last night. I couldn't find any good streams, so I rented it from Netflix. I really liked both of them. They're solid mecha works that will do wonders if you're up for the genre, and may or may not win you over if you don't.

I'll watch the second one soon. I may or may not do the third after that.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #2060 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
The third one is barely related to the other two. It's decent but nothing on the first two.

If you have the time I recommend the TV series (and the New Files) if you want more Patlabor. It's a good franchise.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2061 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
If you have the time I recommend the TV series (and the New Files) if you want more Patlabor. It's a good franchise.
It's on my mind, but I'm not sure if I'll get to it for a while. But it sounds like they're worth a watch.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Painted Outlaw

• Death Metal Vocalist
« Reply #2062 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:31 AM »
Been using time to rewatch Eureka 7. It's still enjoyable but starting to notice that the first cour kinda.. drags. For every cool episode about the Gekkostate being "Surfing mecha hippies", there's Talho getting drunk and Renton having to hang with Eureka's kids because they didn't like that he threw up. I know there's good stuff coming up though, so there's that at least to keep me waiting.

Not sure what much else I'm watching. I dropped Kira2Precure a La Mode; suppose I could get back to Turn A sometime though.

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #2063 on: April 20, 2017, 08:49:07 PM »
Blood Blockade Battlefront is on Crunchyroll.

If you haven't seen it yet, now's as good a time as any.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:52:42 PM by Spark Of Spirit »

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2064 on: April 22, 2017, 08:24:29 AM »

I don't trust this generation's Oreimo.

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #2065 on: April 23, 2017, 11:39:12 PM »
When I reviewed the first season (before it totally devolved into irredeemable trash) I got the impression that the writer has talent. He knows how to write characters and present good situations to have them react and confront each other. The writing was way above crap like K-On or Lucky Star, for instance.

The problem is his fixation on bad sex jokes and incest that drags the whole thing into the gutter. Really ruins everything.

I expect this series to be exactly the same.

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2066 on: April 23, 2017, 11:45:36 PM »
I'm still not sure why he thought the Oreimo finale was acceptable. It's an ending that satisfies nobody. Kyosuke ditches and alienates all of his friends to start a relationship with Kirino... that will only last a few years. It betrays fans of the other characters by forcing a romance with no chemistry in the center, and the incest shippers by only giving them what they want half-way. Even haters of the show won't find any schadenfreude because the entire finale is tailored to please Kirino at the expense of everybody else.

Pharass

• The Elephant's Peanut
    • Viktor's All-Purpose Blog
« Reply #2067 on: April 26, 2017, 01:18:56 PM »
I've continued to watch Space Brothers (among other shows) and I must say that those episodes in which Hibito and Damian get trapped in a crater are among the most suspenseful episodes I've seen of any anime. They actually made me fear for the life of one of the main characters and its been a long time since an anime (or any cartoon) managed to do that.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2068 on: May 03, 2017, 12:45:52 AM »
Is City Hunter worth watching? I found the first set for a decent price, and it sounded cool when I read up about it.

I would check out the manga if I could, but it didn't seem to have much of a run stateside. But it seems like most of the anime at least made it here, even if the later seasons aren't cheap.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

• Forward & Up!
  • Da Mod Squad
  • Head Of City Security
  • Keep Moving
« Reply #2069 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
It's an action comedy about a bounty hunter. It's a good anime and a good manga. Unfortunately, both are near impossible to find over here.