What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painted Outlaw

Been using time to rewatch Eureka 7. It's still enjoyable but starting to notice that the first cour kinda.. drags. For every cool episode about the Gekkostate being "Surfing mecha hippies", there's Talho getting drunk and Renton having to hang with Eureka's kids because they didn't like that he threw up. I know there's good stuff coming up though, so there's that at least to keep me waiting.

Not sure what much else I'm watching. I dropped Kira2Precure a La Mode; suppose I could get back to Turn A sometime though.

Spark Of Spirit

Blood Blockade Battlefront is on Crunchyroll.

If you haven't seen it yet, now's as good a time as any.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I don't trust this generation's Oreimo.

Spark Of Spirit

When I reviewed the first season (before it totally devolved into irredeemable trash) I got the impression that the writer has talent. He knows how to write characters and present good situations to have them react and confront each other. The writing was way above crap like K-On or Lucky Star, for instance.

The problem is his fixation on bad sex jokes and incest that drags the whole thing into the gutter. Really ruins everything.

I expect this series to be exactly the same.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

I'm still not sure why he thought the Oreimo finale was acceptable. It's an ending that satisfies nobody. Kyosuke ditches and alienates all of his friends to start a relationship with Kirino... that will only last a few years. It betrays fans of the other characters by forcing a romance with no chemistry in the center, and the incest shippers by only giving them what they want half-way. Even haters of the show won't find any schadenfreude because the entire finale is tailored to please Kirino at the expense of everybody else.

Pharass

I've continued to watch Space Brothers (among other shows) and I must say that those episodes in which Hibito and Damian get trapped in a crater are among the most suspenseful episodes I've seen of any anime. They actually made me fear for the life of one of the main characters and its been a long time since an anime (or any cartoon) managed to do that.
In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Avaitor

Is City Hunter worth watching? I found the first set for a decent price, and it sounded cool when I read up about it.

I would check out the manga if I could, but it didn't seem to have much of a run stateside. But it seems like most of the anime at least made it here, even if the later seasons aren't cheap.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

It's an action comedy about a bounty hunter. It's a good anime and a good manga. Unfortunately, both are near impossible to find over here.

VLordGTZ

Yeah, City Hunter is considered a classic within Shonen Jump's history, but it's not very accessible in the US since ADV's releases of the anime have long went out of print.  The first 28 volumes of the manga have been fan-translated, but at the current rate the scan group is going, it will take several more years for the project to be completed.  It's also worth noting that the creator of City Hunter, Tsukasa Hojo, also created Cat's Eye, the anime adaption of which is licensed by Nozomi Entertainment and is streaming on Crunchyroll.  It's quite different from City Hunter, but it's still worth a watch. 

Avaitor

I'll keep that in mind as well!

Okay, I'll try to save up a little and get the first set of City Hunter. Even if I end up not liking it too much, I can probably make some decent cash selling it back.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Picked up One Piece: Film Gold and Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters Part 1 on Blu-Ray yesterday.

Film Gold is a lot of fun, but I'd still rank Strong World as my favorite One Piece movie.

As for DBZ Kai, despite not being a big fan of the Buu arc in the anime, I still wanted to collect this in order to experience the English dub, which for the Kai series is stellar. Does anyone know what's up with all of the music changes, though? I know why FUNi had to change it for the original run of Kai due to the whole plagiarism scandal, but I thought that was already addressed by the time Kai Buu was airing in Japan, so why is some of the music still being switched out?

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 21, 2017, 12:36:01 PM
As for DBZ Kai, despite not being a big fan of the Buu arc in the anime, I still wanted to collect this in order to experience the English dub, which for the Kai series is stellar. Does anyone know what's up with all of the music changes, though? I know why FUNi had to change it for the original run of Kai due to the whole plagiarism scandal, but I thought that was already addressed by the time Kai Buu was airing in Japan, so why is some of the music still being switched out?

The music placement is different between the International version and Japanese version of Buu Kai in the early episodes since the first 15 eps of the Int version are shortened to 8 eps in the Jp version, and Toei didn't bother to keep the music placement consistent between the shared scenes of each version.  The music should be roughly the same after that point.

Painted Outlaw

Apologies if this isn't the right thread but, I was thinking some more on FMA and I've heard a lot that Brotherhood follows the manga really closely but I just have this dumb hangup on whether I should read the manga first or watch through Brotherhood.

Any op-nions?

Dr. Insomniac

Painted Outlaw