What Are You Watching?

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 21, 2011, 11:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Quote from: Dreamer2 on July 10, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 10, 2017, 02:27:05 PM
Both of those are on my to-watch list, so I'll let you guys know how I feel about those, particularly in comparison to YoI.

I would've thought you already watched M&H, since it was on Toonami. Unless you weren't really watching Toonami back then. I'd definitely be interested in hearing your opinions of it. It was one of those showed that turned me off right from the first episode.
I come and go on Toonami, and really just stick around if they're airing a show that interests me, like Black Lagoon or Parasyte. It's only in the past year that I've been really keeping up with it, since they've been airing HXH. M&H didn't interest me that much when it first aired, but it's been raising my interest as of late, enough that I want to check it out.

And I'm enjoying Lupin Part IV so far, but it's not my favorite yet by any stretch. I watched the first 3 series last year, and I didn't find any of them to be extremely consistent, but the first 2 especially have a lot of great episodes. I can handle a few so-so episodes if there's enough strong ones, especially since I know that the series can do better. But if Part IV just never wins you over, I'd at least recommend checking out Mystery of Mamo or Castle of Caligostro if you get the chance. They're terrific movies through and through, and arguably the best gateway to Lupin. Although I do need to also get to Fujiko Mine.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Avaitor on July 10, 2017, 03:19:42 PM
Quote from: Dreamer2 on July 10, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on July 10, 2017, 02:27:05 PM
Both of those are on my to-watch list, so I'll let you guys know how I feel about those, particularly in comparison to YoI.

I would've thought you already watched M&H, since it was on Toonami. Unless you weren't really watching Toonami back then. I'd definitely be interested in hearing your opinions of it. It was one of those showed that turned me off right from the first episode.
I come and go on Toonami, and really just stick around if they're airing a show that interests me, like Black Lagoon or Parasyte. It's only in the past year that I've been really keeping up with it, since they've been airing HXH. M&H didn't interest me that much when it first aired, but it's been raising my interest as of late, enough that I want to check it out.

And I'm enjoying Lupin Part IV so far, but it's not my favorite yet by any stretch. I watched the first 3 series last year, and I didn't find any of them to be extremely consistent, but the first 2 especially have a lot of great episodes. I can handle a few so-so episodes if there's enough strong ones, especially since I know that the series can do better. But if Part IV just never wins you over, I'd at least recommend checking out Mystery of Mamo or Castle of Caligostro if you get the chance. They're terrific movies through and through, and arguably the best gateway to Lupin. Although I do need to also get to Fujiko Mine.
Personally, I think Part IV starts to really pick up over time.  The second half especially has some great episodes like "The End of Lupin III", which has probably become one of my all-time favorite Lupin eps.  That being said, even if you don't end up liking Part IV, it's still worth checking out other Lupin series/films since they're all slightly different.

Avaitor

I'm watching Diamond is Unbreakable now. I was going to catch the second half of SC, but since Toonami's getting it, I'll just catch it there. I am enjoying this one so far, though. It's different from the other JJBA stories, but in a good way. I like how the story is evolving, eight episodes in.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I think what resonates with me the most about DiU is the town of Morioh itself, which feels real and full of life within the context of the JoJo's Universe, as well as the distinctly laid-back tone that is present throughout a majority of the arc. Only a core few episodes really deal with the main story, but not unlike shows such as Cowboy Bebop, the real heart of DiU is in everything that lies in-between the major encounters, in which the characters are just being themselves. Though, don't get me wrong, the serious stuff is done exceptionally well, but it's how it complements the rest of this arc's tone that truly gives it weight, IMO. Like, in one episode we'll see some characters trying out get-rich-quick schemes in a comedic affair that feels much more akin to Ed, Edd, n' Eddie than something out of a Shonen Jump manga, but then it can be followed up by a devastatingly dark encounter with a villain that feels all the more tense because of how much you come to care about the characters from the more light-hearted fair.

In other words, it really feels like you are there hanging out with this gang, which makes them feel so much more relatable than most other JoJo's characters, IMO.

Avaitor

Episode 10 is one of the best things I've ever seen, and is making me really hungry for Italian.

New blog!

Mustang

The latest anime I've tried watching were Attack on Titan and One Punch Man. Being the fickle guy that I am, loved the action and animation in both but neither neither one does much of anything to bring me back. I'll admit that this is my own fault for not being open to some (the majority) of anything new (I think 2014 was the last time I actually tried anything). Unless there's some anime out there dealing with samurai's that I'm not aware of?

Anyway, I do have a nice little rotation going on at the moment.

Rurouni Kenshin (This takes me back)
Outlaw Star
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Might squeeze in a little bit of Yu Yu Hakusho or Gungrave. Outlaw Star is new to me, or rather, I missed it during it's run on Toonami and now I own it on dvd so I suppose its my win for being able to see it in its glory. On the manga side, it's been nothing but Hajime no Ippo.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

One Punch Man is pretty fun for what it is. Attack on Titan was never really my thing, though.

As for more good Samurai anime I'm not too sure what to recommend besides the really obvious ones, but if you're up for reading manga Vagabond is a certified classic. I'd recommend Lone Wolf and Cub, but I figure it may be a bit too old-school for your liking. I'm currently reading Blade of the Immortal, though, and it's arguably right up there with the likes of Vagabond, LWAK, and RK as one of the best in its genre, though I'm only about a third of the way through it, currently.

Rynnec

You might get a kick out of Drifters, Grave. It's by the same guy as Hellsing and shares much of its appeal. Garo may be up your alley as well assuming you haven't already tried, I've only seen a handful of the anime's episodes but the franchise overall is built on over-the-top action and horror.

Mustang

Yall caused my ears to perk with those suggestions. I checked out a clip of both Garo and Drifters. Garo looks like some Sword of the Stranger type action and Drifters, I don't even know where to begin, but I like what I saw.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken. I'll give those a shot to see if there's any kind of spark. I'm aware of Blade of the Immortal, but I've also seen a lot of mixed opinions (mainly the anime). So I'll definitely give that one a go.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I checked out an episode of the anime, and it's hot garbage, don't even bother. The manga gets off to an admittedly rough start, since it felt like Samura was really trying to find his footing in telling this story, and one story-line about the in particular is just disgusting and utterly stupid. After the first omnibus in particular, though, the story gets into a genuinely intriguing plot that reminds me quite a bit of some of my favorite parts of manga like Vagabond or Vinland Saga.

Also that artwork is gorgeous. Much like Berserk, I don't imagine that any anime adaptation can truly do the manga's art justice. It certainly doesn't help that the production values of the anime are ass by normal standards as well.

Dr. Insomniac

From Blood Blockade Battlefront.

From Cowboy Bebop.

Spark Of Spirit

Since they had an anime from one of the creators of the Space Western Trilogy, I guess they couldn't help themselves. Good nod.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Well Digibro made a video all about Chiaki J Konaka, and it's a cool overview on what makes this writer tick. Like Digi, I really wish Konaka would come back to write anime one day. He's written so many great shows in the past, and opened the gatedoors for similar writers like Urobuchi or Kobayashi to put their stamp on anime. Still perpetually on the fence as to whether or not I should watch Texhnolyze though. Having a reputation as the most nihilistic anime of all time doesn't exactly make my mouth water.

Avaitor

Here's a really cool video on Osamu Dezaki.

This reminds me that I haven't posted an update on what I'm currently watching! So I wanted to get to AnJ 2, since I remembered via the Greatest Anime Episode Ever tournament that I never actually got around to watching it. I thought that it was on CrunchyRoll, but it's not... so instead of looking harder for it, I went on another site and started another series that I've been meaning to watch for a while- The Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

So far, Part IV hasn't been one of my favorites, although I really liked this week's remake of the first series' fourth episode. I'm only 4 episodes in on Fujiko so far (I haven't had as much time to watch stuff as I'd like), and I'm liking it a lot more. I really dig the pacing and how it's integrated the other characters thus far, while still keeping Fujiko in focus. It's as fun as Lupin should be, and hopefully I'll get to watch more of it tomorrow.

I did have a little time to take a tiny break from it, however, and watch something else the tournament enticed me to check out. I watched the first episode of Urusei Yatsura the other day. I really enjoyed what I saw of it from the tournament, so I decided to check it out a little as an on-off show. Even from the beginning, I know that I'm going to like it. Somehow, it most reminds me of the Cartoon Cartoons, almost like a PG-13 Dexter's Lab or Johnny Bravo. The humor and character writing give me that vibe, at least. It's definitely something I can see myself watching more of.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

AnimeEveryday has been putting out some really good videos lately. I'm glad someone is highlighting important creators and moments in anime history, especially considering this year celebrates 100 years of japanese animation.

AnJ 2 is on Crunchyroll! It's just under the title Champion Joe 2. Don't know why they renamed it that, but it's the same show.

I like Lupin Part IV a lot for how it updates the kind of stories you'd see in Part II with incredible animation and beautiful backgrounds while also adding an underlying storyline to the proceedings, but upon revisiting Part 1 and Part II its are not quite as memorable as those shows were. But I like Rebecca and Nyx a lot and hope they reappear in future Lupin stories. I still think The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is the best Lupin series on the strength of its aesthetic, animation, and the storyline. It's as fun as other Lupin shows, but also has a darker edge than most of them, with more risque sexuality, surreal storylines, and bizarre psychological concepts more akin to what you'd have found in the original manga. I think you'll enjoy it a lot!

And I'm really glad you're starting Urusei Yatsura! I never thought about the show as being similar to the Cartoon Cartoons before, but I can definitely see that in the humor and the spirit of the show. The show starts off good and just gets better throughout its run, especially once the art style starts changing into a more modern look and the show starts becoming really inventive with its animation and storytelling. If you want to follow along with the manga as you watch the show (and know where the movies fit into the timeline), I wrote up a big post about it in the Urusei Yatsura thread a few years back for reference. I'll be interested in following your thoughts as you continue watching!