Author Topic: What Are You Watching?  (Read 83646 times)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
  • "And all that'll be left is pure, white ash..."
    • Email
Re: What Are You Watching?
« Reply #2145 on: January 04, 2018, 11:36:37 PM »
It's basically Gundam re-imagined as a tournament-style battle shonen series. It's fun for people who enjoy that genre but doesn't fit the franchise for everyone else.

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2146 on: January 05, 2018, 12:25:43 AM »
I love G Gundam because it doesn't fit the Gundam mold. No heavyhanded lectures about souls weighed down by gravity. No weird character shifts like Reccoa's arc from Zeta. No obvious Char Clone (Schwarz Bruder doesn't fit the archetype enough for me to count him). Instead, it's hot-blooded, over the top racial stereotypes fighting each other with giant robots. The director used the same approach for his remakes of Giant Robo and Mazinger Z, and he works wonders there.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2147 on: January 05, 2018, 01:57:28 AM »
I think what makes G work is its surprising lack of camp. The series takes itself entirely seriously, and somehow that isn't a detriment despite how dumb it gets with its stereotypes. The characteristics and action mostly work, and help to pull you into the story.

I do like the more traditional Gundams, but I'm glad this worked as a change of pace, since it helped the franchise to become more multifaceted.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2148 on: January 08, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »
So, today I checked out the first episode of Devilman Crybaby.

My reaction went as follows:

.....:whuh:

Painted Outlaw

• Death Metal Vocalist
    • Precure Weekly
« Reply #2149 on: January 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM »
Just gonna quote myself regarding G:
"I saw part of G Gundam when it was on Toonami but it wasn't until more recently that I went through every episode. It is a pretty good show and likely one of Tomokazu Seki's best roles. (Also, one of the few roles I can stand Kappei Yamaguchi; I still dunno how). From Domon trying to piece his family back together to Rain worrying that Domon won't make it through the fights, Argo haunted by his past as a Space Pirate to Sai needing to revive his family temple but neither truly wanting him to waste his childhood, and so on -- there's a lot to like in its over-the-top wrapping paper."

G Gundam never pretends to be anything other than a fun action show and it succeeds at it. I know most people hated it when it came out

Bah, those people probably gave something like Wing more love than it deserved.

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2150 on: January 08, 2018, 10:15:22 PM »
G Gundam never pretends to be anything other than a fun action show and it succeeds at it. I know most people hated it when it came out

Bah, those people probably gave something like Wing more love than it deserved.
People genuinely thought that G was a betrayal back in the day. I've seen one anime reviewer outright call it the worst thing to ever happen to Gundam. I just wonder what he thinks of the past twenty years.

It's also worth pointing out that the franchise was on a decline in popularity around this time (and to be fair, you probably deserve some kind of medal if you can make it all the way through ZZ), and G helped revitalize it. Chances are that we may not have even gotten Wing without it, or it wouldn't have been nearly as much of a hit.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2151 on: January 08, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Watched the last episode of Juuni Taisen, and I just don't get how Nisioisin has all these anime and light novels out when he has no idea how to write actual dialogue or anything resembling human thought. Even the characters we're meant to relate to (like Hanekawa, the guy from Katanagatari, and Rat in this show) are so distant and talk too much that I can't sympathize with them at all. Watching a show with nothing but talking heads would feel more natural than any show of Nisioisin's.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2152 on: January 09, 2018, 12:08:08 AM »
The only work of Nisioisin that I've read anything of is Medaka Box, and I absolutely couldn't stand it. It tries to be a "smart" commentary on the trappings of the battle shonen genre, but more often than not it comes off as obnoxious drivel that wouldn't even be suited for an essay format (even though each speech bubble basically reads like a mini-essay). Also, we have writers like Yoshihiro Togashi and ONE (among others) who can actually write good commentary on the genre while also making their stories good pieces of entertainment within that genre as well, so this has even less of an excuse to suck as much as it does.

Maybe his dialogue comes off as more clever if you understand Japanese (I seriously doubt it, but I'm sure his English-speaking fans will defend it that way), but in general I dislike works that prioritize trying to look smart as opposed to actually being a compelling piece of fiction in its own right, first and foremost.

VLordGTZ

• A guy with too much time on his hands
  • The Elephant's Peanut
« Reply #2153 on: January 12, 2018, 04:20:23 PM »
I just watched the first ep of the new Hoshin Engi anime, and I feel pretty conflicted.  On its own, I actually feel that the episode was a decent streamlined version of the material despite adapting an entire volume and having a few questionable adaption choices, but if this is the pacing that the rest of the series will continue with, then I'm concerned.  The manga doesn't have much padding to begin with, so if they're going to have to keep cutting lots material, it could lead to a complete train-wreck.  On the bright side, the production values are pretty great, so hopefully the anime can at least keep that up for its entire run.  I'll probably continue to keep up with the anime, but I'm going to keep my expectations pretty low.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:24:17 PM by VLordGTZ »

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2154 on: January 18, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »
Watched the first two episodes of Citrus, and the main character has been molested or nearly sexually assaulted four times so far. Kaiserneko says it better than I could.

Lord Dalek

• Writer of a generation
  • Thaumatrio
  • Eats 'Iz Spinach
    • Email
« Reply #2155 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:52 PM »
DARLING in the FRANXX really suxx.

Dr. Insomniac

• Thaumatrio
  • A Duck, Amuck
  • I Startled a Cult
« Reply #2156 on: January 21, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »

Avaitor

• The Epic Trinity
  • Sacrificial Lamb
    • Email
« Reply #2157 on: January 22, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »
After finishing Part IV, my opinion remains more or less the same- I liked it, didn't love it. It worked best with its more comedic episodes, give or take some experiments, primarily most of the stuff with Rebecca. But I really didn't care for the Leonardo da Vinci stuff, and the storyline attempt was awkward. I'd put it above Part III, but I still prefer the first 2 series and Fujiko Mine.

I'll come into Part V with open arms, though. Maybe they'll knock it out with this one.

New blog!