The Greatest Western Animation Episode Ever

Started by LumRanmaYasha, August 12, 2017, 06:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dreamer2

Well, isn't this a tough one. A bunch of great stuff here.

Riley Wuz Here
King Ramses's Curse
Two Face (Part 2)
Thanksgiving Special

These are all really good and I almost put Batman at the 2, but I love that Courage episode, so I'm gonna put it there.

Avaitor

King Ramses Curse
Two-Face
Riley Wuz Here
Thanksgiving Special

These are all good episodes. I feel like The Boondocks episode could rate higher if I had watched it more recently, but I haven't really touched it since it ended.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

LumRanmaYasha

"Two Face (Part 2)"
"Riley Wuz Here"
"Thanksgiving Special"
"King Ramses's Curse"

Spoiler

"Two Face (Part 2)" - Fascinating exploration of Harvey's and Bruce's psyches, particularly Harvey's obsession with order and certainty born out of losing control over his life and Bruce's guilt over not being able to help his friend just like his inability to save his parents. Harvey's mental illness is really disturbing in how believable it is, and it's heartbreaking to see how far he's fallen, though the episode shows he still has a little bit of humanity left in him.

"Riley Wux Here" - A really sweet episode with a hilarious parody of Bob Ross helping Riley become a more constructive artist, leading to an emotional ending where he proves to Grandad he was the graffiti artist by painting a mural of his parents on their house. Huey's BET binge to see if black television can wreck you is hilarious too, though the ending of that subplot could've been funnier.

"The Thanksgiving Special" - Hilarious parody of Trump and a bunch of pop stars and overall a lot of fun shenanigans with a heartfelt message about family and togetherness being the most important thing about Thanksgiving. Also, spoonboning always makes me laugh. That became a meme between me and VLord after the first time we watched this episode.

"King Ramses Curse" - This was one of my favorite Courage episodes as a kid because Ramses was so creepy and that song he tries to torture them with is kinda catchy. Rewatching it now, though, it's not that funny and its certainly not as content-filled as the other episodes in this round. Though Eustace's "what's yer offer" remark is a great recurring gag that should definitely be a meme.
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

"Riley Wuz Here" (The Boondocks) - 11
"King Ramses's Curse" (Courage the Cowardly Dog) - 12
"Two Face Part 2" (Batman The Animated Series) - 12
"The Thanksgiving Special" (Regular Show) - 5

"King Ramses's Curse" and "Two Face Part 2" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Damn, I didn't mean for it to take a month since the last update! Sorry I dropped off from here in February - I got wrapped up in so much I didn't even notice I hadn't posted on here all month.  :sweat:

Round 1: Match 14

"Red Hot Riding Hood" (MGM)

VS.

"Divided We Fall" (Justice League Unlimited)

VS.

"Episode XCII" (Samurai Jack)

VS.

"My Future Self N' Me" (South Park)

Avaitor

Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Dreamer2

Divided We Fall
Red Hot Riding Hood
Episode XCII
My Future Self N' Me

My favorite Unlimited episode and one of my favorite DCAU episodes, so it easily takes number one here for me.

LumRanmaYasha

Sorry this tournament has been on hold for so long! I'll vote now and wrap up this round in the morning:

My Future Self 'N' Me -
Spoiler
An hilarious jab at the ridiculous lengths parents will go to avoid talking to their children about important issues, keeping up increasingly unbelievable lies instead of simply having an honest conversation, even though that would be a whole lot easier.
[close]
Episode XCII -
Spoiler
A powerful and compelling start to the final season that explored Jack's guilt and paranoia in an intriguing way and the fight with Scaramouche was really fun to boot.
[close]
Red Hot Riding Hood -
Spoiler
A classic and iconic Tex Avery short with ingenious visual gags and crazy character animation that has been homaged and imitated to this day.
[close]
Divided We Fall -
Spoiler
Honestly, the Braniac twist doesn't do much for me. It feels unnecessary and convoluted, and the alliance formed between Luthor and Braniac is a great idea that is kinda wasted by being introduced in the last episode of the arc. Of course, there are some great scenes here, like when the Flash risks his life and defeats the Luthor/Braniac fusion by running so fast he blows the armor right off him is great, Superman being tempted to kill Luthor and follow in the footsteps of his Justice Lords counterpart but relenting, and Green Arrow and the other Leaguers protesting Superman's decision to disband the Justice League, but as awesome as those scenes are my lack of interest in the Luthor/Brainiac fight, which is 90% of the episode, really drags it down for me.
[close]

LumRanmaYasha

I think it's finally time to call this match!

Results:

"Red Hot Riding Hood" (MGM) - 9
"Divided We Fall" (Justice League Unlimited) - 8
"Episode XCII" (Samurai Jack) - 7
"My Future Self N' Me" (South Park) - 6

"Red Hot Riding Hood" and "Divided We Fall" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly!

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 15

"Urban Ed" (Ed, Edd n' Eddy)

VS.

"Birds Anonymous" (Looney Tunes)

VS.

"Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part Two)" (The Simpsons)

VS.

"El Secuestro" (Archer)

Avaitor

Oh fuck, some of my favorites ever.

"Birds Anonymous"
"El Secuestro"
"Urban Ed"
"Who Shot Mr. Burns?"

Again, EEnE is surprisingly third here, and as much as I like this episode, the top 2 just do it more for me. That's probably my all-time favorite Archer to boot, but I can't let the only Looney Tunes short on here (how did that happen?) die so soon.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

"Who Shot Mr. Burns" -
Spoiler
One of my favorite episodes of The Simpsons, where pretty much every scene is hilarious and memorable, from Speedway Squad to Dr. Colossus to Tito Puente's song to Moe's lie detector test to the Twin Peaks parody, the list goes on! And of course, the iconic reveal that Maggie shot Mr. Burns which has, for better or worse, defined her character ever since.
[close]
"Birds Anonymous" -
Spoiler
A hilarious concept executed as perfectly as any prime Looney Tunes. I'm also shocked this was the only Looney Tunes nominated for this tournament, but it's a great entry to represent it.
[close]
"El Secuestro" -
Spoiler
This is definitely the episode where Cheryl/Carol really came into her own with the revelation that she's a Tunt heiress, though I honestly find Pam and Cyril's material in this episode even funnier, especially when Cyril's pretending to be the kidnapper when he's on the phone with Mallory but then tries to play it off like he's having phone sex when Lana questions him, and Pam's righteous indignation and readiness to beat the shit out of Mallory at the end of the episode.
[close]
"Urban Ed" -
Spoiler
The Ed boys trying to make it big in a big city of their own creation and learning the hard way how unforgiving it is was a lot of fun. Johnny was definitely the highlight of this episode in his paranoia about city life and desperation to find Plank.
[close]

Great match with a lot of classic eps! I'll keep it up a little longer since I'd like some more votes before moving us along, but if nobody else votes in the next day or so I'll wrap it up.

Dreamer2

Urban Ed
El Secuestro
Birds Anonymous
Who Shot Mr. Burns

Three of my favorites plus a solid Simpsons episode.