gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

Good Times with Weapons
Last Exit to Springfield
Jurassic Bark
Back to the Klondike

Spoiler

"Good Times with Weapons" is a classic South Park, a great over-the-top parody of hyperviolent anime like Ninja Scroll and how we're so desensitized to violence we let kids easily get ahold of dangerous weapons and don't bat an eye, finding nudity and profanity more appalling even in the face of the consequences of violence. This is also just one of the funniest uses of Butters and his Professor Chaos persona too as well as the rivalry the gang has with Craig. Not to mention "LET'S FIGHTING LOVE" is an awesomely and unforgettably catchy and goofy song. 

"Last Exit to Springfield" is one of the funniest episodes of The Simpsons, and that's saying something. But there's just so many memorable and quotable moments in the entire half-hour, with the Dentist character being a classic one-off and the braces gags being brilliant, and every joke revolving around Mr. Burns attempting to thwart Homer being some of most classic and best uses of his character.

"Jurassic Bark" is a really moving episode about Fry's relationship with his dog Seymour that has a heartbreaking conclusion when you see how he waited for Fry to return every day for 13 years until he passed away. One of the most saddening and tearjerking moments in the show for sure.

"Back to the Klondike" - I like the flashback and Goldie, but the misunderstanding between her and Scrooge and Dangerous Dan as a villain is just super lame. It's also not really that funny of an episode, with its biggest strength being in the relationship between Scrooge and Goldie and showing the former's softer side, which is really good, but the stuff with the Bear is a bit boring and goes on too long and the climax with Dangerous Dan trying to rob Scrooge at the end is really underwhelming. It's a memorable episode for Goldie, but it's not one of my favorites.
[close]

Dreamer2

Jurassic Bark
Last Exit to Springfield
Good Times with Weapons
Back to the Klondike

Last Exit to Springfield is amazing and one of my favorite episodes of the Simpsons, but Jurassic Bark is a masterpiece and probably my second favorite Futurama episode. Tough matchup between those two.

Avaitor

Yeah, it's really tough between those two, but to me, "Last Exit to Springfield" is one of a handful of perfect television episodes made period IMO, which as resonating as "Jurassic Bark" is, I don't think I can call it that. It also says a lot that another one of those few perfect episodes takes place during the same Simpsons season.

The DuckTales episode is an adaptation of arguably Carl Barks' best story. I can't call it superior, since there's only so much story you can get in a half hour (Barks could get a lot of story into his works, and still keep each page fresh), and it is a little softer, but to me it works best as a companion piece.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

VLordGTZ

"Good Times with Weapons"
"Jurassic Bark"
"Last Exit to Springfield"
"Back to the Klondike"

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Avaitor on December 29, 2017, 08:39:09 PM
The DuckTales episode is an adaptation of arguably Carl Barks' best story. I can't call it superior, since there's only so much story you can get in a half hour (Barks could get a lot of story into his works, and still keep each page fresh), and it is a little softer, but to me it works best as a companion piece.

I think that's the context I'm missing to fully appreciate it. Do you happen to know in which book that story is collected in? I need to read up on more Duck comics and I'll put that one towards the top of my list.

Avaitor

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on December 29, 2017, 08:54:24 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on December 29, 2017, 08:39:09 PM

I think that's the context I'm missing to fully appreciate it. Do you happen to know in which book that story is collected in? I need to read up on more Duck comics and I'll put that one towards the top of my list.
Heh, the first Barks collection I picked up from my stack happened to be exactly the one! Only a Poor Old Man, Volume 12. It has a handful of other great stories- the title story, "Tralla La", and "The Secret of Atlantis" are other highlights.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

LumRanmaYasha

Thanks Avaitor! I'll have to seek that volume out and read that story once I get the chance.

Since pretty much all the regular participants in this thread have voted, I think I'll wrap this match up now. 

Results:

"Good Times with Weapons" (South Park) - 15
"Back to the Klondike" (DuckTales) - 8
"Last Exit to Springfield" (The Simpsons) - 18
"Jurassic Bark" (Futurama) - 19

"Last Exit to Springfield" and "Jurassic Bark" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 12

"Beard to Be Feared" (Dexter's Laboratory)

VS.

"Meeseeks and Destroy" (Rick & Morty)

VS.

"Revelations" (Gargoyles)

VS.

"Dammit, Hollywood" (Duckman)

Avaitor

"Meeseeks and Destroy"
"Revelations"
"Beard to be Feared"
"Dammit, Hollywood"

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

"Revelations"
"Beard to be Feared"
"Dammit, Hollywood"
"Meeseeks and Destroy"

Too many of my favorites in one round.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

Sorry for the long absence guys. I'll vote and move us along later tonight.

"Dammit, Hollywood"
"Revelations"
"Meeseeks and Destroy"
"Beard to be Feared"

Spoiler

"Dammit, Hollywood" is the first episode of Duckman I've ever seen, and it definitely makes me want to watch more. This was an hilarious satire of Hollywood culture with tons of clever wordplay and visual humor. Laughed a lot while watching it, especially when the parodies of Stallone, Schwarzenegger, and Bruce Willis come in and try to take out Duckman.

"Revelations" - A great episode for Matt uncovering a lead to the Illuminati and being brought in to the Gargoyle's secret. The trick house Goliath has to escape from is really inventive and a fun setting as well.

"Meeseeks and Destroy" - Mr. Meeseeks is one of the best gag characters the show has created, and their existential crises is hilarious to watch as is Jerry's pure ineptitude playing golf. The episode also shows Rick's softer side when he decides to help make Morty's day better after he was raped and traumatized by the jellybean guy and then kills the guy in revenge.

"Beard to be Feared" - A classic and quotable Dexter's with great visual gags and a great Shaft reference. Dexter and Action Hank fusing their beards to fight the bearded bad guys is a hilarious action scene. One of my favorite Dexter's eps, but the other eps in this round have a bit more meat to them.
[close]

Dreamer2

Meeseeks and Destroy
Revelations
Beard to be Feared
Dammit, Hollywood

LumRanmaYasha

Results:

"Beard to Be Feared" (Dexter's Laboratory) - 8
"Meeseeks and Destroy" (Rick & Morty) - 11
"Revelations" (Gargoyles) - 13
"Dammit, Hollywood" (Duckman) - 8

"Meeseeks and Destroy" and "Revelations" move on to round 2! The next match will be up shortly.

LumRanmaYasha

Round 1: Match 13

"Riley Wuz Here" (The Boondocks)

VS.

"King Ramses's Curse" (Courage the Cowardly Dog)

VS.

"Two Face (Part 2)" (Batman: The Animated Series)

VS.

"The Thanksgiving Special" (Regular Show)