Battle Shonen Stuff

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 03, 2011, 07:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I do personally feel that Toei's adaptation of Dragon Ball was on the slow side. Not to say that I didn't enjoy it, but if you go back to the manga you really learn to appreciate how well Toriyama paced his material early on. It would certainly get bloated at parts later on, but the anime always made it seem worse than it really was.

It's definitely an interesting list, but it also doesn't necessarily tell you the pacing of the actual manga since it also varies by the pacing of the adaptation. For instance, JoJo's chapters tend to be fairly light on dialogue and full of action, so in addition to cutting out some early material, the anime was able to blow through hundreds of chapters fairly quick. Hunter X Hunter, on the other hand, has chapters that are so dense that even the non-filler version didn't really manage to blow through the material substantially faster than the original version, saving under 10 episodes-worth of time in adapting the first 10 volumes, which if anything really goes to show how well-paced the original was even with filler in the way.

Spark Of Spirit

It was on the slow side, yes. It was 16 volumes in a 100+ episode series. But Toei was a lot smarter at masking it than they were in most of their other ones. It also helps that the filler doesn't take away from the core story, which is a rarity.

I'm not sure if there is a hard and fast rule for adaptions but for shonen the average appears to be around 50 episodes. For better or worse, it looks like 2 chapters an episode is more or less the standard.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Shaman King, of all possible titles, is getting a new anime next year.

I didn't expect this. Wow.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Daikun on June 12, 2020, 01:10:18 PM
Shaman King, of all possible titles, is getting a new anime next year.

I didn't expect this. Wow.
I legit freaked out when I heard about this last week! Considering that the announcement uses the original anime's OP theme, it sounds like Takei's request to bring back the the old voice cast and music was granted. Now, my only concern is how many episodes this will be. Shaman King isn't a dense read, but 35 volumes is a doozy to adapt.  :sweat: