Ys Series

Started by gunswordfist, November 20, 2017, 02:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I'd insert a synopsis here...but I know little about the series. :>
I started this because I am planning on getting a 2DS and PS3 this week (Gotta go cheap!!), own a 360, Vita and PC and I'm wondering what's the best route to go with starting the Ys games. Doing the PS3/Vita combo sounds attractive to me but I am all ears. I'll also feel this thread with normal convo about Ys once I actually start playing them.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Go to Steam or GOG and get Oath in Felghana, I and II Chronicles, and Seven, in that order, first. If you're not a fan after those three, I will be surprised. After that then check out the other games like VI, Origins, and VIII. Memories of Celceta (the remake of IV) is Vita only right now, but that could change in the future.

I would recommend the Turbografx versions of the first four games, but they aren't easily available. Otherwise you'll probably want to go with the PC versions. I'd also suggest waiting on VIII until the official translation patch is put out.

Here's a handy chart to describe what to get:

Game: Ys 1 and 2
Version: Chronicles+
System: PC

Game: Ys 3
Version: Oath in Felghana

Game: Ys 4
Version: Memories in Celceta
System: Vita

Game: Ys 5
Version: None
System: None

Game: Ys 6
Version: Ark of Napishtim

Game: Ys 7
Version: SEVEN

Game: Ys 8
Version: Lacrimosa of DANA
System: PC/PS4

Game: Ys Origin
Version: Origin

And that's the main series in a nutshell. Falcom still has to do a remake of V, but every other game has a definitive version to play.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Thank you so much, buddy! I knew you'd come through.

Foggle

Would just like to add that there is a fan translation available for the SNES Ys 5 (called Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand), which is still considered the definitive version of the game, so that's fully playable in English too. :)

Also, Memories of Celceta works just fine on my PSTV, which was a LOT cheaper than buying a Vita (think I paid like $20). You may have to do a simple softmod to get it working though.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Here's the most obvious question that nobody has asked yet: How the fuck are you supposed to pronounce the title of this series?

Foggle

Dalek told me that's it's supposed to be like "Ease." :D

Spark Of Spirit

The Super Famicom version (and PS2 remake) is the only real version of V available. I would just wait for a remake at this point.

If you want to play non-Falcom developed versions of the games, I recommend playing the TG-16 versions. The soundtracks are the best in the series.

Quote from: Foggle on November 20, 2017, 02:14:19 PM
That's the easiest way to explain it in words. The important thing is that it's not Why's.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Foggle on November 20, 2017, 01:55:44 PM
Would just like to add that there is a fan translation available for the SNES Ys 5 (called Ys V: Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand), which is still considered the definitive version of the game, so that's fully playable in English too. :)

Also, Memories of Celceta works just fine on my PSTV, which was a LOT cheaper than buying a Vita (think I paid like $20). You may have to do a simple softmod to get it working though.
I already own a Vita, dude. My little brother handed me his for free last year. lol Also, what the hell is PSTV?
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 20, 2017, 03:04:46 PM
The Super Famicom version (and PS2 remake) is the only real version of V available. I would just wait for a remake at this point.

If you want to play non-Falcom developed versions of the games, I recommend playing the TG-16 versions. The soundtracks are the best in the series.

Quote from: Foggle on November 20, 2017, 02:14:19 PM
That's the easiest way to explain it in words. The important thing is that it's not Why's.
...I thought it was pronounce "Yes". :srs:

Foggle

Quote from: gunswordfist on November 20, 2017, 04:08:02 PMAlso, what the hell is PSTV?
It's Sony's failed attempt at making a Game Boy Player kind of thing for the PSP and Vita. It bombed hard because almost no one cares about the Vita for anything but its portability so they sell for dirt cheap now. They're a good alternative for people like me who don't care much about handhelds.

gunswordfist

I might have to check it out. I wonder if I can get it to work on my PC monitor.

Nel_Annette

I guess you could say I'm a bit of a fan.

gunswordfist

Spark Of Spirit

I never managed to get VI for the PSP. The thing disappeared far too fast.

Great collection!

Nel_Annette

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on November 23, 2017, 11:17:27 AM
I never managed to get VI for the PSP. The thing disappeared far too fast.

Great collection!

Saved yourself a ton of frustration, honestly. Napishtim's load times on the PSP are unbearable. I didn't end up beating the game until a few months ago on Steam.

It is how I got into the series to begin with though. I was starved for RPGs when I got my PSP, so I was playing the shittily-localized Legend Of Heroes games and the back of one of them said "from the creators of Ys" and that piqued my curiosity. I think I wound up picking it up used at a Gamestop a week or two later. So used to XSeed having the series in the states that it's weird to think Konami once did.

gunswordfist

PlayStation does not have a good track record with loading times. I hear Chrono Trigger got screwed too.