Tiny Toon Adventures

Started by Spark Of Spirit, December 27, 2010, 08:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

RIP Mr. Alaskey.

He was the most familiar voice of Daffy to me, not to say anything of Tiny Toons.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Avaitor on February 03, 2016, 10:01:53 PM
RIP Joe Alaskey.

Man, what a great talent. It's a shame to know that he's gone.
OMG, no. R.I.P. Mr. Alaskey
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Daikun

Avaitor

It makes sense, and I hope it turns out alright.

It is a little sad to not see it join Animaniacs on Hulu, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

I can understand Cree being sad, but I didn't expect to see Tiny Toon fans legitimately disappointed at no Elmyra.

Avaitor

I didn't think she was that bad of a character on the show. She became a lot less bearable when Spielberg kept shoving her elsewhere, though.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Peanutbutter

It was shoving her into Pinky and The Brain for no actual reason than Jaime Kellner liking her so much that soured some people on her. She was ok in TTs proper (I actually liked the two episodes that were backdoor pilots to her propsed spin-off), but I imagine they don't want to tick off PETA and like minded animal lovers.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Peanutbutter on October 31, 2020, 12:27:39 PM
It was shoving her into Pinky and The Brain for no actual reason than Jaime Kellner liking her so much that soured some people on her.
From what I've been told, that's a common misconception. When Rob Paulsen had Peter Hastings on his podcast Talkin' Toons, Hastings revealed that the network was pretty hands off with the series despite what the theme song would have you believe & that the idea of putting Elmyra with Pinky and the Brain was more Steven Speilberg's idea.

Avaitor

Yeah, I've read before that Elmyra was Spielberg's favorite character, and he was the one who pushed for her to keep showing up. But it does seem that the poor reception to PE&TB that killed his enthusiasm and interest in producing cartoons for Warner.

New blog!

Daxdiv

Yeah, it was the combination of things like PE&TB and the fact that things like Pokémon were starting to take off on the network that killed the Spielberg/Warner Bros shows. The fact that there was an increase of action shows later in Kids WB's lifespan does support this.

Daikun

Daikun

Daikun

The first season of Looniversity debuted on Max yesterday. I just watched the first 3 episodes today, and I think it's great so far! It's not like Animaniacs 2020 where it's just more of the same; TTL stands out as a completely different beast from its predecessor. Everyone's character and personality has been completely revamped, which leads to some interesting dynamics among the students and mentors. I like Buster and Plucky's rivalry and how it contrasts with Babs and Sweetie clicking right away, and I like how Hamton is the mediator for all of the students' problems. (Also, Furrball has a voice now.)

The biggest difference between this show and TTA is the change in scope. It's in the title: the main focus of the show is the Looniversity itself. It's not an anthology spread across Acme Acres like the old series. This new series also consists of one half-hour story per episode, not the three-short format with wraparounds like before. They also seem to avoid making real-world references. Remember when TTA made references to things like George Bush Sr., The Cosby Show, and MTV? That's gone here, likely to avoid quickly dating itself.

Rather than trying to replicate what worked in the 90s like Animaniacs did, this show threw out the rulebook for the old series altogether, and I'm glad they're taking these characters in a new direction.

Dr. Insomniac

Watched the first 4 episodes yesterday. To its credit, going for a different route than 90s TTA is much preferable to how Animaniacs tried to be just like the old show but with only a third of the cast. And most of the new voice actors sound great, though Shirley sounds off.

But yeah, turning Buster and Babs into siblings was always going to be uncomfortable, especially with how this version really, really wants to remind you that the 90s were a thing, while paradoxically hoping anybody from the 90s watching doesn't remember the characters were a couple. That in itself is the show's most contradictory element, it's for kids but most of the cultural trappings feel like the writers were hoping to primarily appeal to a generation who grew up with National Lampoon movies.

Another change I found interesting was thanks to Acme Looniversity now being a post-HS college with dormitories, it means all the TT characters are technically adults here.