Kotaku goes bankrupt

Started by Daikun, June 11, 2016, 07:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunswordfist

I pretty much refuse to click even good news about Kotaku :D So can yyou tell me if they're dead?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Quote from: gunswordfist on June 12, 2016, 09:35:22 PMI pretty much refuse to click even good news about Kotaku :D So can yyou tell me if they're dead?

Basically, they were sued and went bankrupt as a result. They could be getting new owners, pending court approval in July.

If that happens (the potential buyer is Ziff-Davis), the old asshole writers will be cleaned out.

Daikun

Univision bought the company.

Also, the flagship site, Gawker.com, is closing next week.

Peanutbutter

Here's hoping Kotaku and Jezebel will be utterly shunted later on. They're still going, but it would be amazing if there were certain replacements.

gunswordfist

Lmao, Univision? So fucking random.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Peanutbutter

Would not be surprised if Kotaku and others get utterly shunted later. There's the fact that Gawker allowed unions but Univision doesn't for one.

Daikun

Gawker's final post.

Also, Gawker/Kotaku founder Nick Denton will be out of the news business for 2 years as part of a noncompete pact with Univision.

Peanutbutter

There are a couple of idiots whining about Peter Theil being able to "threaten" the First Amendment on the other board I go to.

Daikun

Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 23, 2016, 04:54:50 PMThere are a couple of idiots whining about Peter Theil being able to "threaten" the First Amendment on the other board I go to.

Other news outlets are spooked by this as well. They seem to be subscribed to the slippery-slope fallacy. They think that if a billionaire like Thiel can shut down a journal that did them some kind of wrongdoing (or was just plain critical of them) with lots of lawyers and money, what's to stop him or others from doing the same?

Again, though, slippery-slope. Gawker did lots of wrongdoings during its lifetime. They betrayed trusts and defied court orders. This was years of karma building up, not just some rich dude hating a blog for petty reasons.

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on August 23, 2016, 06:35:55 PM
Quote from: Peanutbutter on August 23, 2016, 04:54:50 PMThere are a couple of idiots whining about Peter Theil being able to "threaten" the First Amendment on the other board I go to.

Other news outlets are spooked by this as well. They seem to be subscribed to the slippery-slope fallacy. They think that if a billionaire like Thiel can shut down a journal that did them some kind of wrongdoing (or was just plain critical of them) with lots of lawyers and money, what's to stop him or others from doing the same?

Again, though, slippery-slope. Gawker did lots of wrongdoings during its lifetime. They betrayed trusts and defied court orders. This was years of karma building up, not just some rich dude hating a blog for petty reasons.

Exactly. He was right to go after them through every legal means possible, which happens to include funding lawsuits for other victims.

What really gets me is the condescension of these morons, they harp about how people should "pay attention" to how scary it is that big meanie Peter Theil treated Gawker when what's really messed up is that it took a billionaire to help put them down despite violating a judge's order.

Daikun

Peanutbutter

Quote from: Daikun on September 08, 2020, 02:06:17 PM
Their UK branch is shutting down.

Did you ever know they had one? :??:

Nope, but with how much they suck I'm hoping it means they go fully under soon.