Dragon Ball FighterZ

Started by Mustang, November 26, 2017, 01:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I've been watching a lot of footage and wow does the whole roster look good. Ones that surprised me was Cell who has some crazy moves and Beerus who is very much a trapping character. But, yeah, I don't see Ginyu being my bag. He's too gimmicky and I like characters with varied options. Can't wait to try out just about everyone.

My initial picks are still looking like they'll be the best choices for my play style in these sorts of games. But I'll have to play them myself to know for sure.

Still wish Kid Goku, Vegetto, and Master Roshi were playable though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mustang

I agree for the most part. No doubt it's too early to determine whose good and whose not, but the roster does look nice. What makes it even better is the fact that it's 3v3. Personally, I think it still should've been a 1v1, but because it's 3v3 makes it seem a lot more balanced.

That said, I too, have been watching quite a lot of footage and I'm seeing a lot of Cell, SSJ Vegeta, Frieza, Kid Buu, and Android 18 over everyone else. I finally saw a high level Goku Black. A lot of people are saying Cell and Goku Black might be the best in the game with SSJ Vegeta being the best assist (People are making the comparison to Dr. Doom in UMvC3).

I'm pretty sure I'm going to make 2-3 teams at this point.

Main - Cell, Hit/Beerus/SSJ Vegeta, Goku Black
Secondary - Adult Gohan, Android 18, Frieza/SSJ Vegeta
Tertiary - Android 18/Hit, Kid Buu, SSJ Vegeta/SSB Vegeta

I still think this should've been a 1v1, but I am appreciating the fact that it's 3v3 even more.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Already topped 2 million in sales: https://gematsu.com/2018/01/dragon-ball-fighterz-shipments-digital-sales-top-two-million

That's not surprising for a DBZ game, but it's really great for a relatively small development studio like ASW to experience such huge mainstream success for a change.

Mustang

2 million in 3 days (might be 2. I think I read something like that yesterday). Might be the fastest selling fighting game to date. I think it took Tekken 7 a couple of months to hit the 2 mil mark and Street Fighter 5 took 2 years. Not sure about Injustice 2.

Good stuff. I hope to have my copy by Saturday-ish. Maybe.

Mustang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-bK20XiaC0

I take back everything I said about Hit. DAMN he's a beast.

Spark Of Spirit

It's the fastest selling DB game ever. This is great news for both the franchise and ASW. The game certainly deserves its success.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Mustang on February 01, 2018, 04:03:29 PM
2 million in 3 days (might be 2. I think I read something like that yesterday). Might be the fastest selling fighting game to date. I think it took Tekken 7 a couple of months to hit the 2 mil mark and Street Fighter 5 took 2 years. Not sure about Injustice 2.

Good stuff. I hope to have my copy by Saturday-ish. Maybe.
HOLY SHIT
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So I can safely say that Dragon Ball FighterZ is easily GOTY material for me. I've played enough of it to know that it manages to strike a balance on both a casual and technical level, and is just outright fun to play.

I'd actually go so far as to recommend this game to people who are normally scared off by fighting games (especially 2D fighters), even if you aren't a Dragonball fan (though if you are, this game's story mode shenanigans are beyond hilarious). The base mechanics are so simple that you're bound to have fun no matter what your normal skill level is in this genre.

At this point I've gotten pretty decent with using the double jump, air dash, and air rush maneuvers to extend aerial combos, though I'm still not very good at switching characters mid-combo and continuing that same combo with the tagged in fighter. I still need to play around with the timing of that a bit more in training mode, and even then it somewhat varies depending on which characters you are tagging in and at what point in the combo you decide to have them enter in from.

Mustang

Did you pre-order Dr. Ensatsu-Ken? Have you tried going on the hard path for SSB Vegeta/Goku? I know people have been losing their minds because of how hard it gets.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I didn't pre-order the game. I have tried Hard Mode in the Arcade's Snake Way path....yeah, the AI is ridiculously cheap. Not really my thing. I think that I'll just have to go about unlocking SSJB Vegeta and Goku the longer way (through the Zeni method) as opposed to trying to beat Arcade mode on the highest difficulty.

Still, I'll take either over outright buying them because fuck supporting micro-transactions.

Dr. Insomniac

I love all the dialogue in Fighterz. I know the dub writing is also pretty good in Kai and Super, but it's still so refreshing to hear from the same franchise that once had lines like this.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I'm just waiting for the "Yamcha can beat himself" line to become the next big meme of the franchise.

And yeah, this game is genuinely hilarious, with particularly well-written and well acted dialogue in the English dub.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on February 03, 2018, 10:54:23 PM
I love all the dialogue in Fighterz. I know the dub writing is also pretty good in Kai and Super, but it's still so refreshing to hear from the same franchise that once had lines like this.
:D :D :D
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

So in case you were wondering: https://youtu.be/RS5t8vgIkKo

Yes, level 3-to-5 supers can indeed clash.

Mustang

Finally got my hands on the game and after the first 5 tutorials I feel like I just might need to bust out the arcade stick, mostly for movement. I was never great at movement in these games on a controller. Not to mention I don't need/want blisters on my thumb at all.

Getting a closer look on these characters, my go to team just might be Adult Gohan, Cell, SSJ Vegeta. I've been seeing some broken ish with that trio. Once I get more comfortable I'll rotate between Goku Black and Adult Gohan as well as the 2 Vegetas.