5 Things You Most Associate The Above Poster With

Started by Avaitor, January 24, 2011, 02:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Remember this thread from the old board?

We all have our distinguished vices on this board (EK with Ninja Gaiden, Foggle with Excel Saga, Desen with KOTH, Chalmers with cars, Insommy with British TV, and so on), but of all the things you know about the above post, what five particular subjects remind you of them more than anything?

I'll start up by saying what reminds me of EK without bringing up NG or Yu Yu Hakusho, just to prove that I can.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (his favorite movie and a damn fine one at that. There's one birthday card I always find that plays the theme from the film which I want to send to him some day)
The Untouchables (another damn fine movie that is close to him, and one he recommended to me.)
Great Teacher Onizuka (another damn fine recommendation I've taken from him. I like it enough to use the character's name elsewhere, and he should know what I'm talking about)
Pharmacy (what he's majoring in now. I know he has a lot of work going on right now in school, but I understand that it's an open market, so he should find a good job before long)
Futurama (one of our favorites, and we still quote and talk about it to this day on and off the forum)

You don't need to write a reason for each choice, but I wanted to myself. Let's see what you can come up with for me. ;)
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Classic cartoons - Specifically Looney Tunes and Disney movies. Probably because you so willingly gush about them at the drop of a hat, but also because you know they deserve that attention.
Metal - Not exactly hard to forget that you like it, but also that you seem to span the chasm of the genre and not just stick in one safe area of it like most on the internet.
Chats - I mean, good GOD, man.
EE&E - Since you're basically the one who got me to understand it better, and again, you obviously love it a lot.
Glee - In an ironic way, I assure you.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Avaitor on January 24, 2011, 02:37:51 PM
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (his favorite movie and a damn fine one at that. There's one birthday card I always find that plays the theme from the film which I want to send to him some day)

Heh, Yeah, I can't deny my love for this movie. I was actually planning to start a thread either specifically for this movie or Westerns in general (probably the ladder since its a more broad topic). Its easily my favorite film by Sergio Leone (which kind of goes without saying being that its my personal favorite film ever), and some of you may not know this, but based on my usual taste in films and entertainment in general, there is a bit of irony in the fact that I find this particular movie to be my favorite. I'll elaborate on that on the thread I start later on, though.

QuoteThe Untouchables (another damn fine movie that is close to him, and one he recommended to me.)

I'm really glad that somebody finally associated me with this film. One thing I will say is that its a bit unique in its style, in that normally this type of movie would try to be more gritty and realistic, but this film is highly romanticized and optimistic. A film like that, to me, can be excellent if done right, or terrible if its not handled perfectly; and let me just say that while I do love a good deal of optimistic attitudes in my film, even if its unrealistically so, its much harder to make a convincingly good movie that can pull that off and in many cases it falls flat. To me, The Untouchables is the perfect example of how to pull this type of film off right, and it really excels at it for me. Its the only other film that I have re-watched as much as GBU. ;)

QuoteGreat Teacher Onizuka (another damn fine recommendation I've taken from him. I like it enough to use the character's name elsewhere, and he should know what I'm talking about)

Compared to the others its a more recent love of mine, but I can't deny that I adore this series nonetheless. I think JO hit the nail on the head when she described what it is that is so captivating about this series, especially for me. It doesn't try to be moral or preachy in that kids should study harder and listen to higher authority and all that shit. It emphasizes almost the exact opposite, in that Onizuka rather encourages his students to drop whatever bull-crap some adults fed them if it makes them so miserable to become stuck-up little douche-bags in the first place, and kind of points out that its like the first step towards becoming the type of people that they hate. Of course, aside from all this junk, it also helps that its a damn fine comedy, and one of the few anime that I find to have legitimately funny humor (personally).

QuotePharmacy (what he's majoring in now. I know he has a lot of work going on right now in school, but I understand that it's an open market, so he should find a good job before long)

Incidentally I have started working at a Rite-Aid Philadelphia. It takes me a bit over and hour to get their, and also another hour or so to get back, through public transportation, but in its own way its a worthwhile experience. Currently I've gotten in 16 out of the 80 total hours of required work experience that I need to have completed by this semester. Its a damn good thing that my preceptor is a nice guy, and that one of my friends has the same preceptor so we can occasionally go to work together.

QuoteFuturama (one of our favorites, and we still quote and talk about it to this day on and off the forum)

I think that this is a series that we all love, but despite my contrasting love for South Park compared to everyone else on this board, I have no problem agreeing that this is one of the best animated comedy shows ever made. To me, personally, it has a balance of both humor and some serious bits mixed in (in that its mostly comedy-based, as it should be, but that makes those few scenes with a bit more drama all the more touching, despite being rare occurrences in and of themselves within the series). In terms of comedy, though, I feel it to be a perfect blend of all of the best elements from all of the other great animated comedies, like The Simpsons and various others.

Heh, well that's a great list Avaitor. I'd like to create one for you, but before I do that it looks as though I must do one for Desensitized first, since he's the poster above me. Just give me a moment to think....

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Desensitized:

Naoki Urasawa (For the longest time I had always heard Desensitized praising this guy like he was his lover, and kind of shrugging off his works as stuff that I would eventually look into and that might be pretty good, but I wasn't sure if I'd find anything by this mangaka to be the best manga ever written like Desensitized emphasized....and for what its worth, he was absolutely right: Naoki Urasawa IS the best mangaka in existence, and of all time, as far as I'm concerned, and he's also one of the best writers on the entire planet, as far as I'm concerned)

King of the Hill (An obvious choice that could possibly apply to more people than just Desensitized, but still, he loves this series for good reasons, and talking about it reminds me that I still need to watch more episodes of this show)

2D Platformers (Its his favorite genre in gaming, and for good reason: because it IS the best genre in gaming :sly: )

BECK: The Mongolian Chop Squad (A manga series that I need to start reading sometime)

Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Alright, maybe this is a bit of a stretch since I don't know if its one of Desensitized's favorites, but in all honesty after reading his review on it I can't help but always associate this series with Desensitized each time I see any of it, so it really does still fit in this thread as a worthy candidate for me to list)

Spark Of Spirit

B&TB is definitely one of my faves. It totally took me by surprise as something I might enjoy, but IMO, it has infinite rewatchability and is easily the most fun show on TV right now.

As for the rest, I agree wholeheartedly.  8)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 02:46:59 PM
Classic cartoons - Specifically Looney Tunes and Disney movies. Probably because you so willingly gush about them at the drop of a hat, but also because you know they deserve that attention.
I'm nowhere near Jerry Beck or Leonard Maltin levels, but I have a lot of love for older cartoons, particularly Disney, Warner, and MGM. They're the godfathers of animation and we wouldn't have a lot of our favorites if they didn't exist.

Which reminds me, Jerry wants us to write to Shout Factory to push for them to buy the rights to release some series that wouldn't get one anytime soon by their current owners, including Betty Boop. I'm going to do that soon and I implore that you all do as well.

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 02:46:59 PMMetal - Not exactly hard to forget that you like it, but also that you seem to span the chasm of the genre and not just stick in one safe area of it like most on the internet.
Picking a favorite metal subgenre would be close to impossible for me since there's so much to like in just about all of them. You have the balance of beauty and hatred in black, the carefree jam sessions of doom and sludge, the energy and power of traditional, anger and technicality of thrash, and the wide scope of death. Metalcore is a bit of a stretch for me to praise, but there's gold to find there as well.

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 02:46:59 PMChats - I mean, good GOD, man.
There are some people I wish to never have to think about again, but that will never happen. :(

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 02:46:59 PMEE&E - Since you're basically the one who got me to understand it better, and again, you obviously love it a lot.
You're damn right I love it a lot.

I plan to write one more entry on it for our blog soon, and that should be my final say on it.

Quote from: Desensitized on January 24, 2011, 02:46:59 PMGlee - In an ironic way, I assure you.
You know, when the show does good, I'll admit it. Neil Patrick Harris and Gwyneth Paltrow are both quite and talented, and Jane Lynch is funny, albeit more so in pretty much every other project she's done. But Lea Michele has such an uninspired voice, Kurt is one of the most characters in existence, the harmonies are such ass, and they mess with so many different songs ranging in quality.

I'd be better off without the show existing at all.

I agree with EK's choices as well, but mine for you looks like:

Powerpop- Big Star, Supergrass, Cheap Trick, Weezer, the whole shebang.
Home Movies
The Simpsons
King of the Hill

^^^Do I need to say why?
2D Platformers- EK is right, and so are you.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

Supergrass is definitely a favorite and so is the whole sub-genre.

Oh, I should have said HIMYM instead of Glee. You clearly enjoy it much more.

Avaitor

New blog!

Dr. Insomniac

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

For Avaitor:

Ed, Edd n' Eddy's Big Picture Show (since the show and Avaitor's favorite character were already mentioned, I'd figure that the movie was the next best thing :sly: )

The Nightmare Before Christmas (If I'm not mistaken this is Avaitor's favorite animated film, and for good reason: because it IS the....2nd best....animated film ever ;) )

Iron Maiden and a bunch of other Metal (mostly because he got me to listen to it, and admittedly its awesome, even for someone so as inexperienced in music as myself)

Casablanca (One of Avaitor's favorite classic films, and one of the best films ever made, no doubt)

Pulp Fiction (Avaitor's favorite contemporary film and also his favorite film ever, and its probably because it is a great work from Tarantino, even if it didn't appeal to me when I saw at a bit of a younger age)

For Dr. Isomniac:

Alan Moore (I should probably get into reading his stuff, myself)

Dr. Who (I should probably get into watching it, myself)

Bashing crappy modern anime (because if we didn't have good ol' Dr. Insomniac to tell us what terrible anime that we should avoid like the plague, than who else would do it for us?)

Sandman (Something I should probably read)

Fedoras (OK, this may sound strange, but seriously, is it just me or has almost every avatar Dr. Insomniac had over the past couple of years featured some guy wearing a fedora or fedora-like business hat?....Yeah, seriously, now I associate hats with Dr. Insomniac, go figure....)

Dr. Insomniac

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 24, 2011, 07:45:56 PM
Alan Moore (I should probably get into reading his stuff, myself)
Eh, my taste in weird British comic writers leans more towards Warren Ellis nowadays, mostly since he seems more mellow about comics (and doesn't write stories about fish-rape). But still, if there wasn't Watchmen, I probably wouldn't have gotten into graphic novels.

QuoteDr. Who (I should probably get into watching it, myself)
Knowing you, I'd suggest Jon Pertwee's run (1970-1974) or Chris Eccleston's short stint (2005).

QuoteBashing crappy modern anime (because if we didn't have good ol' Dr. Insomniac to tell us what terrible anime that we should avoid like the plague, than who else would do it for us?)
I'm still reeling from the scars of watching Oniichan No Koto.  :zonk:

QuoteSandman (Something I should probably read)
That reminds me. I need to buy those remastered trades.

QuoteFedoras (OK, this may sound strange, but seriously, is it just me or has almost every avatar Dr. Insomniac had over the past couple of years featured some guy wearing a fedora or fedora-like business hat?....Yeah, seriously, now I associate hats with Dr. Insomniac, go figure....)
Yeah, I never really intentionally set out to have a hat theme. Still, it seems like an odd coincidence.

Avaitor

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 24, 2011, 07:45:56 PM
Casablanca (One of Avaitor's favorite classic films, and one of the best films ever made, no doubt)
HOW DID YOU KNOW I JUST WATCHED THAT?

I got the 50th anniversary VHS from a local thrift store today for like a buck and just finished watching it. I can quote that movie all day.

Also, I prefer the Eds themselves to Rolf (particularly Eddy), but I'd say that he's probably my favorite character from the show besides them.

As to everything else from the both of you

New blog!

Avaitor

As for Insommy

Dr. Who
Misfits (the TV show, not the band)
Vertigo
Whedon
Our reviews

New blog!

Commode

Let's see, for Avaitor?  How about

Izzy, Slash, and Axl Rose
Saved By The Bell
Post Alpha-Bits Cereal
Calico cats
Crystal Pepsi
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Spark Of Spirit

Pop Punk
Looney Tunes/WB
The Simpsons
16-bit Gaming
Steamed Hams