Death Note (spoilers-a-plenty!)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 24, 2011, 10:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be fair, neither Dexter nor Sherlock have Ryuk. He's the stand-out anomaly here. The trailer confirms his existence by having him speak to Light off-screen, but I'm wondering if they'll keep his ridiculous design. Part of me is hoping that they do just to make fun of it like in the live-action Japanese films, but to be fair they'll probably at least be sensible enough to tone it down to something that looks better in live-action.

Peanutbutter

Trailer looked kind of good, but hearing about it having sex and even more violence for the sake of it makes me weary. Was L confirmed to be in this?

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on March 22, 2017, 08:52:20 PM
The real question on everyone's mind: Will this live up to how hilariously bad the live-action Japanese movies were, or will it just be generic bad like the live-action TV adaptation?

Either way, it'll be fun to watch the anime community rage to hell and back over this. :sly:

I'm looking forward more to the SJWs whining just because its a full U.S. based adaptation. :D Nevermind that this isn't any different than Breaking Bad being fully adapted in Mexico as Metastasis.

Daxdiv

Man, I can't wait to see if Light kills L in this adaptation & then people going on Twitter/Tumblr tirades about how a black man had to died to a white man. Maybe they'll use the 2006 movie adaptations where L died after Light was brought to justice for his murdering spree.

Still, I'll probably give it a watch just to see how well they do it.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Daikun

Longer Netflix trailer.

Frankly, I don't see what all the hate is about. This actually looks quite good.

Peanutbutter

I haven't found the trailers bad myself. But I'm watching with no expectations. It's going to either really suck hard or be another Netflix gem. Either way, I'm planning to watch it goes live.

LumRanmaYasha

Welp, the Netflix film was pretty dumb. The game of wits between Light and L was replaced by Light outright admitting he's Kira to L in their first meeting, L ransacking Light's house in an emotional fit, a ten-minute chase scene complete with slapstick hijinks, and an exploding ferris wheel. They really captured the spirit of Death Note, didn't they?

gunswordfist

So glad this whitewashed nightmare failed.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

LumRanmaYasha

The critical reception is bad, but I fear that if streaming numbers are good enough they might go ahead with a sequel. The writers apparently envisioned doing a trilogy...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Best comedy of the year right here, guys. Haven't laughed my ass off this hard in a while. :humhumhum:

Daxdiv

Hanzo didn't die for this. He didn't die for this!

The only good parts I liked about this film were Ryuk, Watari & Mia, fite me. :^) But nah, this was pretty much just Death Note in name.

Quote from: LumRanmaYasha on August 25, 2017, 09:37:49 PM
Welp, the Netflix film was pretty dumb. The game of wits between Light and L was replaced by Light outright admitting he's Kira to L in their first meeting, L ransacking Light's house in an emotional fit, a ten-minute chase scene complete with slapstick hijinks, and an exploding ferris wheel. They really captured the spirit of Death Note, didn't they?

I also loved that part where Light threatened that kid about how he'd be hitting a minor and he would go to jail. Truly the best adaptation ever! Don't forget the parts where he opened that book RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF GYM CLASS, while Yagami protected that thing like he got a winning lotto ticket and needed to collect his winnings. That and outright admitting to Mia that he is Kira while Light treated that like he was Batman. If anything Mia felt more like Original Light than this movie Light, considering how cunning she was compared to her manga counterpart who was kinda of a ditz.

As much as I probably regret saying this, I think I'm better off watching that J-Drama that was released a few years back than this thing.

LumRanmaYasha

I heard that the writer's idea was too split up the personality traits of the original Light between the film's Light and Mia, with Mia adopting his more conniving and manipulative nature and Light taking on the idealist and childish traits of his namesake. This could've been interesting in theory, but both characters make such stupid decisions and are such wannabe edgy try-hard emo shits that everything that made Light a compelling and interesting antagonist in the original is completely washed away.

Dr. Insomniac

LumRanmaYasha

I kinda wish that "keikaku" joke was in the actual movie. That made me laugh. You hit the nail on the head about everything wrong with the movie with hilarious sarcasm. Reviews like yours and Mumkey's almost justify sitting through that garbage.

Daikun