Death Note (spoilers-a-plenty!)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 24, 2011, 10:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daxdiv

"Light and L are stupid" No complaints here.

Dr. Insomniac

Daikun

Dr. Insomniac

I guess it'll have to be a period piece to retain some of the more important bits. L's initial deduction of where Light lived wouldn't make sense in an age when livestreams can be found worldwide, and his clue that Kira had to be a student because he didn't write names during school hours wouldn't work when Light could kill people thanks to a smartphone and an inattentive teacher. While Light looking across the internet for criminals and accidentally leaking his IP address on websites Watari or L tampered with would solve the case too quickly.

Daxdiv

Quote from: Dr. Insomniac on July 07, 2022, 05:44:51 AM
I guess it'll have to be a period piece to retain some of the more important bits. L's initial deduction of where Light lived wouldn't make sense in an age when livestreams can be found worldwide, and his clue that Kira had to be a student because he didn't write names during school hours wouldn't work when Light could kill people thanks to a smartphone and an inattentive teacher. While Light looking across the internet for criminals and accidentally leaking his IP address on websites Watari or L tampered with would solve the case too quickly.
I remember that being a point of discussion in the actual One-Shot where Minoru Tanaka said to Ryuk that he probably couldn't get away with most of the stuff Kira/Light could have due to the technological advancements made in Cyber Security during the original Death Note's timeframe/release. I do wonder if they'll go the period piece route or try to make it modern day to say why someone's plan with the Death Note will fall apart quicker than Light's.

Quote from: Daikun on July 23, 2022, 03:43:05 PM
The Simpsons will have a Death Note parody in this year's Treehouse of Horror.
I know they did that once in the Bongo comics, to the point they tried emulating the manga's art style. So I wonder what new stuff they'll come up with in this.

talonmalon333

I just finished rewatching  this show for the first time since... honestly, maybe since it ended its Cartoon Network run. And man, that was a nice trip back in time.

Part of it was that I wanted a fairly short show to watch. And Death Note might not be a horror, but the visuals and music do have a creepy vibe at times, so maybe I wanted something easy to watch for Halloween. And when it aired on Cartoon Network, I had introduced it to my brother for his first time watching it, and since he recently got married, I'm sure I was feeling nostalgic for something we enjoyed together.

Anyway, it does hold up really well, at least up until the end of L. Light vs L still makes for an endlessly entertaining cat and mouse war. It can be easy to knock on the elaborate "Just as planned" moments, but they fit well. From the animation style to the music, Death Note generally has an over the top, almost operatic style, so I can just accept the idea that the two smartest people in the world can come to these incredible conclusions and concoct the most overly thought out plans. Not to mention... they all feel earned. It never feels like the characters are just taking random guesses.

Death Note is also a rare anime where, at least in my opinion, the Japanese and English versions are nearly equal. In fact, if this were someone's first anime (and I think this show is a great gateway) I might recommend the English version, if only because the story is so wordy and a newcomer will want to make sure they catch everything that's said.

Once L is out of the picture, there's no one who's really a worthy rival to Light. It's certainly not boring though, and the final few episodes are as good as any of L's.