Death Note (spoilers-a-plenty!)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, January 24, 2011, 10:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

I can think of a few anime more overrated than Death Note.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Souther

The most overrated anime of all time is actually Clannad After Story.

Please get it right.

Foggle

Quote from: Souther on May 13, 2014, 10:10:53 PM
I can probably agree with this.

Welcome to the forum!

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Souther on May 13, 2014, 10:10:53 PM

Please get it right.

Somebody please give this man a medal! :thumbup:

LumRanmaYasha

The show is now available to instant-stream on Netflix (sub-only, though).

Interesting that Viz is starting to put their stuff back on Netflix after all this time.

Eddy

Well, I am years late to watching this, but I finished Death Note tonight having started it only about a week or so ago. I really loved this series.

It's definitely not as good after L dies and L's death really could have been the ending to the series, but it still managed to keep me entertained and wondering what was going to happen next. The real problem was that Near and Mello just never seemed that interesting to me. They tried to give them little quirks to make them "the next L" but it never really worked. That said, I still wanted to see where they went with their plans and wanted to see Kira finally get caught.

I'm not sure how anyone could see Light as some kind of anti-hero. When the series started you could say he had the best intentions in mind but as he grew more and more of a God complex he became more and more evil. And considering what he does to those FBI agents and Naomi, how he uses and manipulates the emotions of Misa, and manipulated Rem into killing Watari and L, there's really no other way to look at it. He even sent his own father to his death. Light was disgusting.

I loved the final episode. Anything the second arc was lacking I think can be forgiven with that final episode. It was satisfying to see Light die in such a pathetic way. It's what he had coming to him from the very beginning. Also, I loved how Matsuda just unloaded his weapon on him.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad you liked it. Death Note is a really entertaining series. It's most major problem is a fan-base that treats it like something it's not. Back when it came out, people were claiming it was deep and philosophical, baiting haters to call it pretentious drivel. It is neither of those things, and even the author has stated that the series was meant to be nothing more than an interesting read. He also said that Light was evil pretty early on in the series, and it wasn't his intention to portray him as anything other than a villain. Once again, it's fans who painted that picture of him, which is hilarious because the anime goes as far as to make his eyes go read and give him the most psychotic laugh ever just to demonstrate how evil he is. My point being that, the manga and show are great, but 95% of the fan-base is comprised of idiots.

As for Near and Mello, neither are as interesting as L, and Near especially is a shameless copy-cat to try and remind people of L, but I actually still kind of enjoyed Mello for being different. He had his quirks, but he was a more hardcore character, and over the top in a way that was still pretty entertaining. Near only came out on top because he pretty much played it safe the whole way through.

As for the 2nd arc in general, while nothing was ever officially said by the author in regard to it, his other famous manga, Bakuman, had an arc at the end where the 2 main characters create a manga that felt tonally reminiscent of Death Note, but once it becomes popular WSJ wants them to keep it running for longer than they intended, and they fight to keep to the ending that they envisioned rather than continuing it on when they know they can't make it as good again. While this is all just presumption on my part, I feel like that was the author's commentary of sorts to fans regarding DN, and I could totally believe that he was forced to keep the series going past the L arc, but since it's me, I'm probably just reading too much into stuff. :P

Anyways, for how bad it could have gone, I still relatively enjoyed the 2nd arc for what it was.

Dr. Insomniac

I remember hearing that Death Note's run was stretched because the author just really wanted it to last 108 chapters, since 108 is supposed to be a symbolic number in Japan.

Spark Of Spirit

^The 108 stars of destiny.

The deepest Death Note goes is the theme of absolute power corrupting. Other than that it's just a really tight thriller. And as it is, there's nothing wrong with that.

Better than trying to be deep and failing, anyway.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

Something I did like about the Near arc is that it showed just how much respect and admiration Light had for L. He's constantly comparing Near to L, saying how inferior he is to him. And at the end he's disgusted at the fact that Near is wearing a mask in L's likeness, feeling he is nowhere near worthy to be comparing himself with L, let alone wearing a mask of him.

Light really hated L and considered him his worst enemy but at the same time greatly respected and admired him. L's death made Light over confident to the point where he got careless, thus leading in him finally getting caught.

The Shadow Gentleman

The Shadow Gentleman

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

QuoteAdam Wingard (You're Next, The Guest) will begin production on Death Note this June from a screenplay by Fantastic Four's Jeremy Slater.

So, in the best case scenario, this could be the greatest unintentional comedy in a long time....again, that's the BEST case scenario....

Spark Of Spirit

I hope he makes Light win in the end.

That would be the cherry on top of the stupid.