RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

You can easily find downloads and English patches for the Ys PC games, which will run on just about any computer. I bet you own a PC. ;)

gunswordfist

Speaking of Ys, I finally found the english translated version and download it on my phone.

And today I finally downloaded working copies of the translated version of Sweet Home and Mother 1 (Earthbound Zero) Can't wait to play those. Anyone know of any other good Japan only RPGs?
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Seiken Densetsu 3, Treasure Hunter G, Live A Live, and Bahamut Lagoon are pretty popular online.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

I meant to say on the NES but I'm going to be using emulators on my cousin's PSP so thanks!

EDIT: Shit, I forgot to mention, I'm hooked on Sweet Home now. I've been playing it like a mad man. Trying to get through the mansion is addictive and there hasn't been any frustatrating puzzles yet.

gunswordfist

A few minutes before midnight, I finally beat Sweet Home. Easily my favorite NES RPG...okay, that goes without saying since it's the very first one I've beaten and I've only played a handful of other NES RPGs. It's kind of like Resident Evil (minus the shooting of course) meets the end of Final Fantasy VIII.

I finally figured out what is and how to get to the final section. There's no randomized enemies there, just very creepy bosses. The last boss reminded me how tough my characters are. They took damage for like 10 minutes and I only had to heal my weakest character in my current party. It took me a while to figure out how to kill the final boss and I had to do a lot of guessing but I did it.

Then a minute before midnight, I played a little bit of Earthbound Zero/Mother 1. Interesting graphics that game has.

Foggle

I was never a fan of the first Dragon Age, and it looks like I made the right choice in deciding not to pick up the sequel...

Huge picture
[close]

Spark Of Spirit

ACTUAL QUOTE FROM A BIOWARE DEV:

"Every time you push a button, something awesome should happen."

Don't you just love how linear shooters are trying to invade every genre now? I eagerly await KOTOR of Duty next! Ugh, BioWare.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I honestly don't get the massive hate for BioWare. I've never played any Dragon Age game, and I never plan to (I'm sure that they suck), but its not like that's the only thing BioWare has ever made. Both of the KOTOR games were actually extremely good (and I mean good games in general, not just good licensed properties), and while I felt Mass Effect was highly overrated, it had its merits (and I'm sure that the 2nd one is even better), so its not like BioWare is some notoriously bad RPG developing company. At the very least, as someone who really isn't into WRPGs (I'm not into JRPGs either, for the record), BioWare makes some of the only few that I can tolerate (and on top of that some of them are actually fun to play, who would have guessed :sly: ). Honestly, if any company should get a lot of flak for their RPGs, its Bethesda. What exactly is in any Elder Scrolls or Fallout game that is even remotely fun? Sure, both games are big and massive, but there's hardly anything fun to do in either of them, unless tedious and repetitive quests are supposed to be considered fun (then again, considering that that's pretty much what makes up the entire RPG genre for both WRPGs and JRPGs alike, I suppose I can see how RPG-fans would be into that sort of thing :thinkin: ).

Spark Of Spirit

Fallout 3... Man, I just want one person tell me what about that shit is fun. I honestly try to give WRPGs a shake and while I like some of them, shit like that just puts me to sleep.

But the whole shitstorm over DA2 is that the first game was a very Baldur's Gate style throwback with a 100 hour play time that scored high, sold well, and made BW a mint.

Then they made DA2 which is a 20 hour game (sidequests are basically the same thing repeatedly with the same 7 dungeons on loop), a linear story with less options, environments are reused all over the place (sometimes even within the same mission/sidequest) and the first 10 hours basically consists of nothing but sidequests. Oh yeah, and the battle system is supposedly not very good.

I was never very interested in the game, but reading about how they and EA basically tried to make the game appeal to the casual shooter crowd instead of their audience is trange considering how well their games already do. Which is fine in theory, but this was clearly rushed to market. (I heard it was in development for less than 2 years)

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm....EA must have cut some deals with the critics then. What the fuck is up with all of these 8's and occasionally even higher in the game's ratings? of course, it wouldn't surprise me if something like that was going on, since I haven't found any reason to trust gaming critics for over half a decade now. Greg Kasavin who formerly worked for Gamespot was probably the last good and honest one that I can remember.

Spark Of Spirit

Game reviewers are just terrible nowadays. They still give Contra games negative points for being hard, they still hate survival horror games for controlling "badly" (I don't know how the hell they're supposed to control), and they still think handheld games and 2D games are inferior to even the worst console games.

Oh yeah, and then there's IGN's 3.0 Godhand review. (I think they even later included it on a best of the PS2 list or some shit? Hilarious.)

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 15, 2011, 01:36:48 AM
What exactly is in any Elder Scrolls or Fallout game that is even remotely fun?
Robbing people/assassinating them stealthily is literally the only good thing about those games. Of course, I've gotten at least 30 hours out of each just doing that...

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I got 40 hours out of Oblivion, but to be honest that was just me being extremely patient waiting for something interesting to happen....yeah, also I never even bothered to try finishing the main quest. I still own the game, though.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on March 15, 2011, 11:20:41 PM
Robbing people/assassinating them stealthily is literally the only good thing about those games. Of course, I've gotten at least 30 hours out of each just doing that...
Couldn't you basically get the same feeling from Thief? (Note: I have not played Thief)

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on March 16, 2011, 07:23:35 AM
Quote from: Foggle on March 15, 2011, 11:20:41 PM
Couldn't you basically get the same feeling from Thief? (Note: I have not played Thief)
Yes, and every Thief is ten times better than anything by Bethesda in literally every way. But there hasn't been a new Thief game since 2004 and the first one is a bitch to get working properly on newer version of Windows.