RPGs

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 25, 2011, 04:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Dalek

As one of only two Phantasy Star IV fans on the internet...

Phantasy Star IV is the real greatest 16-bit rpg ever.

Spark Of Spirit

Only 2!?! That game's pretty sweet.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on March 18, 2011, 12:09:19 AM
Only 2!?! That game's pretty sweet.
Fck you! I'm the 2nd Phantasy Star IV fan.  :sly: Anyway, it's my favorite 16 bit RPG...so far. I've only beaten Breath Of Fire 1 and 2 and Shining Force 1 and 2. Yeah, shocking, I've beaten more Genesis RPGs than SNES ones. Hell, I have Sonic's UGC and never owned a SNES, what can I say? Which also reminds me, Sweet Home is the only 8 bit RPG I've ever beat. I'm stuck on Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy.

I am on what I assume is the final boss of Mother 1 though. I'm sure I won't actual go for a full week of failing that battle...
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Hey Bison, have you played Trails in the Sky yet?

I'm liking the interesting strategy RPG meets turn based style battle system, and the story and characters are quite good from what I've played so far.

I've been playing it in between bouts of Mortal Kombat, and it really is a grand little RPG. Here's hoping we get the follow up sooner than later, I want more.  8)
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Speaking of RPGs, I've FINALLY gotten around to playing all the Mario RPGs one by one, including the games I never beat previously.

Super Paper Mario has an amazing story. No kidding, one of the best stories I've seen in gaming. I actually like it better then the first Paper Mario because of that.

Bowser's Inside Story is great. Like the other M&Ls, it had an excellent final battle. I still think Partners in Time is better though. It didn't have those tedious mini games, and I loved the teamwork between the adults and the babies.

They are all good though. But I would actually put all 3 Paper Marios a full step above all 3 Mario & Luigis.

Foggle

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning and Cthulhu Saves The World are now available on Steam in a bundle pack for $3 total ($2.69 if you buy it in the first week!). These are some of the best comedy games ever made, and are actually quite fun as throwback JRPGs (certainly better than every Final Fantasy since 9). The price can't be beat, and I'd be surprised if your computer couldn't run them, so you should pick them up!

You can also get them separately from the Xbox Live Indie Games store for slightly more overall $$$ (about 5, I think) in Microsoft Banana Points, if you'd rather. Anyone with even a passing interest in JRPGs should pick these up and support Zeboyd so they can continue making awesome games!

Rosalinas Spare Wand

Quote from: Desensitized on April 22, 2011, 10:27:47 PM

I'm ashamed to say I've never even heard of it. But you're description matches Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, and that can only mean good things.

Also, you've played Radiant Historia, would tracking it down be worth it? I had my eyes on it when it was coming out, but I never picked it up because I didn't have spare money and no GameStops around here had it at all.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on July 14, 2011, 09:37:55 PM
Quote from: Desensitized on April 22, 2011, 10:27:47 PM

I'm ashamed to say I've never even heard of it. But you're description matches Fire Emblem and Valkyria Chronicles, and that can only mean good things.

Also, you've played Radiant Historia, would tracking it down be worth it? I had my eyes on it when it was coming out, but I never picked it up because I didn't have spare money and no GameStops around here had it at all.
Desen can't shut up about that game. You might as well go get it because he'll just convince you to do just that.

Anyway know of any good turn based RPGs this gen? Games with a basic, nongimmicky battle system and a world map would namely be the ones I would want to play

Foggle

Finally. For only $6, this is worth everyone's time!

Spark Of Spirit

Hey Foggle, Ys Oath In Felghana and Origins are coming to Steam. You better not miss out!

Foggle

I already have Oath on the PSP, but I'm extremely excited for Origins. Day 1 buy, no questions asked. Though as much as I love my PC gaming, I really wish it was coming to the PSP, as well. Since 4 and 5 will no doubt eventually come to the Vita, it'll be kind of strange to have every game except the prequel on a portable system.

talonmalon333

Decided to revive this thread, cause I'm curious about more RPG opinions.

Pokemon used to be my favorite. But I'm considering otherwise now. Cause man, Chrono Trigger is addicting.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

As someone who doesn't really like JRPG's (or just RPGs, for that matter), Chrono Trigger is the only traditional JRPG that I could be bothered to play up to the end. I didn't actually beat it, but I got up to right before the final battle with Lavos. I do like the characters because they aren't overly-obnoxious like in other JRPGs, and the plot and design of the game has a very "fun" sort of vibe to it, and it can seem like a big and epic quest without ever taking itself too seriously to the point of being pretentious. Its basically the only exception to me in the JRPG genre.

That said, I like Pokemon far more for its deeper combat (particularly with its multiplayer component), and its addicting gameplay. This is the only JRPG that I've ever bothered to complete, though I don't count it as a "traditional" JRPG.

gunswordfist

You should try Phantasy Star IV.

I want to play Blue Dragon because I hear it has a world map, which is something modern RPGs have apparently abandoned.

talonmalon333

Know what RPG I want to play?

RPG with fast-paced action akin to 2D Zelda, plus multi-player is a recipe for awesomeness.