Young Justice

Started by Avaitor, January 26, 2011, 08:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Any thoughts on the new episode? I thought it was pretty great overall. Even if it was mostly focused on two characters and a cast of bad guys, the plot still managed to  feel grand and big in scope.

And something tells me there is going to be one giant pay off by season's end.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Peanutbutter

I thought it was great too. I didn't see Miss Martian kissing Superboy while in disguise coming. I would have been fine with them waiting until their next episode to have them together, but I don't mind. As for The Light, I don't have a problem with their backup plans like half the people on TZ were saying, but I do hope they start getting a lot more screentime soon. So far it's just Lex and Ra's, and I'm not counting Ocean Mater because he hasn't been unmasked yet; thus we haven't really seen him as a villain yet.

Spark Of Spirit

And it looks like we'll be getting new episodes through at least November!

I can't wait to see what comes next.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This was a good episode, overall. The series is clearly spending at least the first half of its season focusing more on character development and background plot build-up than on jumping straight into big action set-pieces and is making the wise decisions of not pulling out all of the stops early on in the series, and leaving the really good stuff that you know is coming for later. That's what will keep people watching.

One thing that I've noticed is that out of all of the characters so far, Robin has by far gotten the least amount of characterization. Every other character by now has had some moments to themselves within the series for the viewer to get a lot more insight into them and have at least expanded a little bit in their individual personalities and their personalities towards interacting with others since the beginning of the series. All except for Robin, anyways. The closest that he has gotten to getting some good characterization was in the episode where the team were still at odds with one another and he was trying to take over as leader (and in that episode it was more about the team as a whole so everyone had their personal flaws exposed at that time, rather than just Robin).

Its not like I'm criticizing the show or anything, as I'm sure he'll get an episode that puts a good amount of focus on him in one of the upcoming episodes as well, but I just find it kind of strange that he seems rather ignored among other characters, so far (as in, even Kid Flash seems to have gotten more screen-time and dialogue than him, when I really think about it). Of course, I'm not a fan of Robin (any iteration; Tim Drake was OK, though), but being that he's probably the most iconic and recognizable character on the show for people such as myself who don't read comic books, I always thought that he would have been one of the first characters to get some major development as an individual.

Spark Of Spirit

If it makes any difference, the next episode actually will be focused on Robin and Artemis, so that should be a bit of a difference. He has gotten the least amount of attention so far, however.

That said, I like the way they've been tackling Superboy. He's not like he is in the comics (considering their background differences, that's to be expected), but he is clearly the same character and person as a whole. I've always really liked Connor Kent as a character (I do hope we get to see more of his sense of humor later on) and I liked that they managed to not only use him in an animated series (finally), but characterize him so well without keeping him the "Dumb as bricks and angry" character they easily could have. If he didn't use his head here, nobody would have made it out.

Peanutbutter

While I agree too that Robin has had the least screentime so far, I think that's just because of the amount of other shows he's gotten. Heck, Teen Titans was on just four years ago before Young Justice. I'm sure Brandon and Greg's team just wanted to make sure everyone else got characterized as well. He'll get his moment soon enough, especially since he's with Artemis in the next episode and we haven't seen the two of them together much at all except for Bereft.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I figured that since Robin was already such an iconic character among most people, whether they read comic books or not, people were already well familiar with him and thus he could probably get away with a little bit less personal characterization than the other, lesser known characters in the show. That said, he still does deserve a decent amount of personal development seeing as how this show still features its own unique interpretation of his character as opposed to being just like any other iteration of him in other media, so in that respect we still don't know too much about "this" particular version of Robin except for the fact that he's Batman's side-kick and that he's usually pretty cool-headed among the other characters in the team but also has a fair amount of cockiness in his own attitude that can get him into trouble at times.

Well, at any rate since we'll be getting to see more of his next week than by the end of that episode each character in the show will have gotten at least one episode giving them some good individual development.

Spark Of Spirit

That was some nice focus on Robin and Artemis. Also, what an ending! I wonder what this will lead to?

Avaitor

I have to admit that I wasn't crazy on the episode before this, but I really liked the new one. Robin and Artemis have really good chemistry with each other, and it's good to see them both have focus on them, considering how underused they've been so far.

Artemis's origin elements make a lot of sense and really add to her character, too.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was a really entertaining episode, and there was definitely good chemistry between Robin and Artemis, but honestly in the way of characterization it was more of an episode just for Artemis than both her and Robin (being that we didn't really learn anything new about Robin in this episode). I guess they are just purposely relying on most viewers probably already knowing enough about Robin at least from his presence in past animated series since it doesn't seem like they intend to go too much into his character in this show. Maybe I'm wrong or just missing something, though.

Avaitor

Anyone else catch the new episode?

Wasn't expecting Captain Marvel to appear yet, but he was a great addition to the ep. It was pretty solid overall.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Something tells me there's going to be an uproar on the team when they find out Billy's true age and that he made the JL.

Great ep, but I've liked them all so far.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

To be perfectly honest I was a bit underwhelmed by this episode, myself. It was decent enough but the whole "every team member out for themselves with no real sense of leadership" thing has been done before earlier on in this series, so this felt more like a retread of ground that we've already covered, and as a whole it felt too predictable as well. Sure, this time it had more to do with the rest of the team being angry and Aqua Lad for not telling them about the traitor, but at the same time it still just turned into most of them splitting up. It at least would have been interesting if the rest of them stayed and worked as a group but sort of excluded Aqua Lad from the operation due to no longer trusting him as a leader.

Anyways, I don't mean to sound like Mr. Negative, as I still enjoyed the episode for its action and pacing and still find this to be a really good show (I wouldn't call it great just yet, though), but I'd rather later episodes go down a much less predictable structure than this one.

Peanutbutter

Tonight's episode was really good. I can't say much now because my arm hurts, but the action was spectacular! Greg meant every word when he said this was the episode where things pick up. Still can't believe they actually went ahead and revealed all the members of The Light.

Can't believe Avengers and Jedigreedo's reactions to it over at TZ though. Talk about whiny. :imnothappy:

Dr. Insomniac

Eh, while it was definitely good, I think the show's going the path of those crappy Jeph Loeb movies and trying to shove in every DC character in no matter how insubstantial they are. It just kind of devalues their personality when you see Black Adam and Ultra-Humanite as brutes with few to no lines.