Young Justice

Started by Avaitor, January 26, 2011, 08:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really didn't like how they handled The Joker in this episode. He honestly comes off as more lame than actually threatening. But, then again, maybe I'm just spoiled by Heath Ledger's interpretation of The Joker....but I don't think that's the case since I still love Mark Hamil's Joker as well (in the animated series, of course; he's kind of "meh" in Arkham Asylum, IMO).

The episode itself was pretty entertaining but even as someone who's never read Young Justice (or any DC comic for that matter) in my life, I have to admit that I saw that twist with The Light coming a mile away. And, honestly, I kind of find it hard to believe that the Justice League would really fall for a trick like that. Well, maybe its not as obvious from their perspective, but I would at least expect Batman of all people to suspect that this group was just a decoy to distract them from the real one.

Having said that, I don't want this to sound like I'm bashing the series. Its still relatively good, but I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed since I expected it to have stepped up in quality to being great by now. To be honest I actually feel that AEMH was actually a better show by this point in its first season run, respectively. Of course, the show could still improve later on. At least things have certainly picked up with this episode.

Pharass

Personally, I really liked the reveal that Vandal Savage is the leader of The Light. I've never read any comics featuring the character, but I really liked him as a villain in Justice League/ and was a bit disappointed that that show didn't use him more.

Agreed that both Ultra-Humanite and Black Adam were woefully under-utilized though. Ultra especially deserves more respect, he was the first real super-villain Superman fought, after all. He was Luthor before there was a Luthor.

See?

In every age
In every place
The deeds of men
Remain the same.

Peanutbutter

Keep in mind though, that there's a good chance there were budgetary reasons and/or scheduling issues. Given that, not everyone that appears in certain episodes are going to have lines.

I thought Joker was decent, I have a feeling we'll see the Injustice League again down the road. When they do, they'll probably have Black Adam and Humanite speak up then. My problem with this episode is why a character like Wotan would willingly be used as proxy when he's not a team player from what I heard about the comics. I think it would have been a better idea if he and Klarion had each others spots. But, I'm sure Brandon and Greg have their reasons.

Avaitor

I really don't like the Joker's voice. It sounds like he was trying to channel both Ledger and Kevin Michael Richardson (why the latter, though?), but couldn't succeed at doing either. And he was a little too spastic here even beyond the voice, but I have a feeling that he's going to redeem himself later on in the season.

The rest of the episode was quite good regardless. I called the League of Shadows showing up at the end, but I thought it was a worthy closer anyway.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

No more Pinocchios.

I think we can all agree that the last episode was aces, right? Seriously, this felt almost like an episode of Gargoyles to me even more than anything else Greg Weisman has ever done since. Basically nothing but engaging moment after moment throughout, and Red Volcano? Man, he was one vicious bad guy- and probably my favorite so far just for how straightforward he was.

EDIT: Just realized this one was written by Mr. Weisman himself. Great stuff!
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It was a really good episode, and the quality of Greg Weisman's writing really shows that he's still as talented as ever. I actually liked this episode a lot more than last week's episode, even though that episode was a much bigger event of sorts. This one was more self-contained and had some surprisingly good charaterization for Red Tornado, proving him to be a much more interesting character than he initially seemed to be.

Spark Of Spirit

Everyone thought Failsafe was a cop-out, but I actually don't. I mean, either way the Leaguers were going to come back, and I thought them being in a training exercise was better than them just being in jail or something boring like that.

What matters is we saw how good the team is under extreme duress. And they have come a long way.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Honestly, I found the ending to be pretty predictable. I was expecting it to be either a bad dream or some kind of simulation in the end. I don't know why people were so surprised by the ending. I mean its not the first time we've seen something like that pulled in a DC animated series. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Well, in my opinion the reason most people hate these sorts of episodes is because they have no consequences on the real world and are more like fan fiction since nobody was in any real danger -even though we learned that wasn't the case here. The difference here is that I'm pretty sure most everything in this episode WILL come into play later especially considering the subtitle of season 2.

I actually think this takes from Future Tense's idea from Gargoyles. "Was it a dream; or a prophecy?"

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I don't think that they'd kill off literally ALL of the Justice League for real in this series (remember, there are still kids watching this as well, even if it does present mature subject material), I do fully expect them to kill off at least one pretty big-named hero in this series. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised at all if quite a few ended up dying off as this series progresses and gets darker or more intense. I also think we will see at least one of the members of YJ team get killed off before this series is over (though certainly not in the 1st season), and for some reason I get the feeling that if anyone were to die off, it would be one of the females (either Artemis or Megan). That's just the sort of feeling that I get, but either way I don't expect something like that to happen until close to the end of the series, so I don't think that we'll see any major deaths in this season, but I could easily be proven wrong.

Dr. Insomniac

I'm betting that Zatara gets culled soon, given his rather odd inclusion into the JL and how his death would give Zatanna a motivation for being part of the team.

Spark Of Spirit

Hey look they used Secret and Harm and left in the reason for Harm's power and Secret's death.

Also, I hope this isn't the last we've seen of either.

Avaitor

Same here. Really good episode.

My only beef is that it took so long for this to air. But hey, it was rightfully creepy, had decent development all across the board, and I loved seeing all the high school students in various super hero costumes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

This episode was pretty good. I was expecting to learn a bit more about Artemis when Harm was talking about her inner demons and such, though, however we didn't really learn any new details about her. Other than that, though, the episode was pretty solid. I could've done without the high school Halloween part comic relief bits myself, though.

Peanutbutter

Miss Martian scaring Marvin as Marvin the Martian was hilarious! Say that five times fast. :lol:

Harm was awesome, almost as much as Red Volcano. Am I the only one loving the one-shot villains more than The Light right now? I mean Luthor, Ra's, and The Brain seem pretty cool (I'm not feeling Klarion as a member and I liked his TNBA persona better), but I don't feel like we've seen enough of them together onscreen. Their master plan (whatever it is) seems to be a bit scattered at the moment too. Hopefully, we'll see them interacting with each other more soon.

I knew they'd still have Harm and Secret's backstory intact. They could say she died, just not how she died. Which is just fine with me, because it makes it a lot more subtle and dramatic. Hopefully, they'll both come back at some point.