Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Spark Of Spirit

I was just playing some Raskulls. It's a pretty cool racing/platformer hybrid with a bit of Mr. Driller /puzzle influence. Pretty cool game, though. Manages to be fun with a good challenge without being rage inducing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Well now I have a top 10 best Mario list, and I want to post it!

1. Super Mario Bros. 3 AND Super Mario Galaxy 2
Having beaten Galaxy 2, I seriously don't know which of these two I prefer. One is the peak of the 2D games and one is the peak of the 3D games.

2. *See above.*

3. Super Mario World
This game is also great, and I love the overworld. The only problem is that, other then the overworld, it's SLIGHTLY inferior to Mario 3 in almost every way. Still a close comparison though.

4. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Arguably the best of the RPG titles. This took things from the original Paper Mario and developed them, though the original had better chapters.

5. Super Mario Galaxy
This is much lower then it's sequel cause the levels and power-ups are undoubtedly inferior. But I prefer the soundtrack and mood of this one.

6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
One of the best 2D titles. This took everything from New Super Mario Bros. and made it better. Deeper levels, better power-ups, higher difficulty, and best of all, COOP!

7. Super Mario Bros.
The original that set the standards. How much do I need to say other then the fact that this game NEVER gets old?

8. Paper Mario
I may prefer the sequel, but this is still a great game. PLUS, as mentioned, it has better chapters. I also prefer the overall mood of it, and the soundtrack really sets the mood of the areas.

9. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Arguably the best Mario Kart game. Super Mario Kart and the handhelds are good, but it came down to this and Kart 64. And while that has better tracks, the coop in this game is so fun! As for Mario Kart Wii? That game belong on the lost of worst Mario games.

10. Super Mario 64
This game may now pale in comparison to the Galaxy games, but it's still a lot of fun. It's nostalgic bliss, and I adore the soundtrack. Also one of the most important games ever.

So that's the list... for now, anyway. :awesome:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hmmmm....I'm kind of surprised that Super Mario RPG didn't make your list, since you always used to talk so highly of that game.

Spark Of Spirit

I actually like SMRPG the best of any Mario RPG even after Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario 2 came out. I still think SMRPG is the best one.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on January 03, 2011, 03:46:28 PM
Hmmmm....I'm kind of surprised that Super Mario RPG didn't make your list, since you always used to talk so highly of that game.

I did? I don't remember even talking about it on TV.com. Either way, for my opinions about Mario RPG, I'll just re-post something I put on another site.

"This is completely my opinion. But I think Super Mario RPG is over rated. As with the other games here (THE OTHER MARIO RPG GAMES), it's still a very solid title. However people seem to worship it, and then refuse to acknowledge the other RPG games in the series. But it's no longer anything unique. It WAS when it was created, being that it was Mario in an RPG game. But since then we've got others. Looking at it now, Mario RPG looks like a standard, easy RPG. The others, however, are unique in their own ways. The Mario and Luigi series stars the two brothers and have them working off of each other in battle, and the Paper Mario games have such a different battle system. But nothing really stands out as being different in Mario RPG.

That doesn't mean it's bad cause it's still an 8/10 game. It's a little harder then the others, the soundtrack is AWESOME, and the final battle is quite intense. It also has great partners, especially Geno. It also started the Mario role-playing tradition of having an optional boss that's even tougher then the final boss. But in the end, I think some of the other RPG games in the series are better, having built on it's foundation."

Rosalinas Spare Wand

^RSW likes this post.

I personally find Superstar Saga to be the best of the Mario RPGs, but that's only because aside from trying so many new things, it also built upon the history of the Mario series and included tons of shout outs and fanservice to long time fans. Not to mention the zany humor here was just perfect, since the other games over do it a tad and honestly, Fawful isn't nearly as interesting without Cackletta to work off of.

Spark Of Spirit

Well, as objective as a favorite list is, the only one I would ever contest is if someone tried to tell me Mario & Luigi 2 was better than SMRPG or a Paper Mario game.

That shit almost put me to sleep.

Neomysterion X. Prime

I forgot what I psoted on the old board, so I'll start fresh again. Here's my NES Top 10 so far (release order):

1. Clu Clu Land- Considered as one of the greater above average games of the original 25 or so NES games back from 1985. Some people end up getting dizzy after playing this one, but I never minded. my highest round was Round 13, I think.

2. Urban Champion- Such a good fighting game that has recevied low reputation. I swear that my highest round in that game was either Round 43 or 45 (I forgot).

3. Super Mario Bros. 3- There's no denying it, it's the best legal Mario game for the system. I still know where all three Magic Whistles are, as well as subliminal message hidden in World 3-2 that Nensondubois told me about.

4. Mendel Palace- It's a pretty good arcade-action tile-flippin' game done by Pokemon creator Satoshi Tajiri. I've beaten this one 5 times if I'm correct.

5. Battletoads- Sure this action game's a challenge, not to mention the decent graphic job as well. I'm stuck on Level 3 myself (the space bike part to be exact). Beats the crap out of the Ninja Turtles games if you ask me (no offense).

6. Super Spy Hunter- One of the more harder to beat shoot 'em up games for the NES, and I thought Sunsoft did a pretty good job on this title. I've beaten this 8 or 10 times if I'm not mistaken.

7. Fire 'N Ice- Also known as Solomon's Key 2. I'm a big fan of logic puzzles, and this one's no exception. Another hard to find NES title I happen to own.

8. Kirby's Adventure- Very obvious that I love Kirby. This game is also in my Kirby Top 5 as well.

9. Bubble Bobble Part 2- Possibly my most expensive NES purchase as of late. If you liked the old Bubble Bobble, give the enhanced sequel a play.

10. Wario's Woods- I like this one better than the SNES version. I always tend to play Round Game Mode B in the NES version, due to boss battles.

I'll bring in list of my top 10 SNES games later on.  :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Someone on NeoGAF posted this about Konami, proving that I'm not the only person who feels this way about them:

QuoteWell, I'm of two minds here.

I don't see as though there was anything wrong with shutting down Team Silent. At best, SH3 and SH4 showed some signs of critical decline and waning sales relevance, especially in contrast to RE which experienced a wonderful reinvention in the form of RE4. I guess you could argue that they deserved a few more chances, but shuttering them also seems like a reasonable response. I don't really understand the animosity for this decision.

Now, did their replacements make sense? No, not really. I liked Homecoming more than most, but it's pretty clear that Silent Hill has been shopped around to multiple teams, multiple platforms, and multiple approaches. It's pretty clear Konami hasn't figured it out. It's pretty clear it's a franchise long past its peak.

Of course this is not a surprise. Konami is an awful, terrible publisher. They occasionally release some good games, some internally made, but as a publisher they're awful. They are perhaps most famous for coming up with solid ideas and utterly failing to develop them--both Bemani and Guitar Freaks were done trivially better by competitors. They are second most famous for taking Hideo Kojima, by all accounts a creative and talented designer even if you're not a fan of all of his games, and setting him on a ridiculous grind to milk one of the few products they have and can bank on. Their DS support was minimal and Wii support worse, alienating Nintendo fans. Their PSP support, although slightly better, was pretty bad. Even besides MGS, they rely too heavily on poorly annualized sequels. PES has slipped behind FIFA, and Bemani is dead and there's no clear direction for replacing it. I'll say nothing of Yu-Gi-Oh because it's clearly a licensed cash-in whose license is of no interest to me, but it's hardly a good sign when Yu-Gi-Oh is considered a highlight of your annual release schedule. Their gong show E3 press conference reflects the generally hapless attitude the company has had for a long time.

But by far the most simple and damning criticism of Konami is this: Whether developing or publishing, Konami's name says absolutely nothing about quality, style, or polish. It says nothing about budget, positioning, or advertising. It says nothing. There's nothing Konami publishes that couldn't be better handled by another publisher.

A long time ago, Konami (and through Ultra Games) was known for being an early supporter of the Famicom and the NES. They made quality action games that were known for being polished and tough. Gradius, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear. Konami's brand had cohesion and it had value. Since then, it has fallen. It means nothing. Unlike other early major publishers who have reinvented themselves, added new franchises, revived old franchises, and generally acted as good stewards of their legacy, Konami has withered away to nothing. Silent Hill is just the icing on the cake. It's Konami's last great invention--yes, we're talking about a publisher who hasn't come up with anything for the last ten years--and it is now a shadow of its former self.

What surprises me is that I feel like I'm the only one who has noticed this before the last year or two.
Seriously, what a lousy company.

Spark Of Spirit

Spark Of Spirit

Bargains:

Yakuza 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Nier (Got for free)

It was a good day!

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on January 20, 2011, 06:03:00 PM
Yakuza 3
Fuck yeah.

Tell me how Nier is. I've been interested in it, but the bad reviews it got were really off-putting to me.

Spark Of Spirit

Neir seems to be one of those love it or hate it type games. I got it for free, though, so I can't really complain.

Spark Of Spirit

Contra tier list-

Top Tier:
Contra (NES)
Contra 4
Contra: Hard Corps
Hard Corps: Uprising

Upper/Mid Tier:
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Operation C
Super C (NES)
Contra: Shattered Solider
Contra ReBirth

Mid/Low Tier:
Neo Contra
Contra (Arcade)
Super C (Arcade)

Bottom Tier:
Contra: Legacy Of War
C: The Contra Adventure

I deem this as fact.