Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Yeah, the consensus seems to be that Tropical Freeze is a close second to DKC 2, and that 3 is underrated. The first is great, but I do think that 2's an improvement, and Returns was a nice revival, but it got a bit frustrating IMO. I also hear that the 3DS version was superior, is that true?

Also, let's not even consider 64.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Returns 3D has bonus levels and no shake to roll controls. It also has more options for the shop which add things the original should have had like a guard that adds two hits per mine cart level. The trade off is that it's locked at 30fps as opposed to the Wii's 60fps.

It depends on what you'd prefer. I personally like the 3DS version way more.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

That sounds pretty cool! I did like Returns on the Wii, but this sounds like an improvement worth checking out when I get to a 3DS.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Foggle

Get Tropical Freeze. It's the greatest 2D platformer I've ever played. It will never leave my top 10 games of all time and I think about it at least once a week, no joke.

I should try the 3DS version of Returns sometime. I adored most of the game but waggling to roll was terrible and the rocket barrel levels/final world made me tear my hair out. That combined with the underwhelming (though not bad) music makes it inferior to DKC 1 and 2 IMO. Not a huge fan of 3 but it's definitely underrated and the soundtrack is a lot better than people give it credit for.

DK64 isn't a good game but the first two worlds are fun enough and might be worth a go if you're feeling like a pseudo-completionist. DK94 (the Game Boy game) is a classic, one of the best puzzle games out there. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 1 is a pretty decent sequel to it but its followups are rather mundane Lemmings clones.

Spark Of Spirit

DKC3 on the GBA adds a whole new world and a soundtrack by David Wise. IMO, that adds a lot to its status in the series. Of the original trilogy, it's the most gimmicky, but it's great when it's a platformer.

Whether you're playing on SNES or GBA though, it's a platformer well worth playing.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mustang

I'm not entirely sure when I posted in this thread, but I'll update it.

1 - Shenmue
2 - Ultra Street Fighter 4 / Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
3 - Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots
4 - Mass Effect 2
5 - Persona 5
6 - Uncharted 3
7 - Devil May Cry 3
8 - Halo Reach
9 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10 - Gears of War 2

I know most MGS fans love either MGS1 or MGS3, and while I can appreciate MGS1 I can never really go back to play it because I initially started off with MGS2 then moved onto MGS3. By the time I tried to go back and play MGS1 the controls were already ingrained in my muscle memory. I could never shoot while NOT being in FPV, so those that do the hold ups, much respect lol. Anyway, I know MGS4 is frowned upon, but I loved every bit of it. The long cut scenes (which is why I have no problem with games like Uncharted), Drebin's shop, and the camo. Most thought it was too easy, and they're probably right, but I love to feel dominant even if it's not earned lol.

I know almost the majority love Ocarina of Time, and while I'm no different, I like Majora's Mask a tad bit more, if only for Fierce Deity Link. I don't really give credit to Nintendo or Zelda, but one thing I have to give them credit for here is that the world sucks you in. For Shenmue 1&2 there is a serene-like feel to that series even though it's a revenge game, but that serene feel calms me down. Here in Majora's Mask I just felt the world was fun.

Persona 5. Talk about a game catching you off guard. Lemme see. The MegaTen games, on one hand I've always wanted to try them out, but on the other I stay away from. Being a Christian, I tend to get in my own head, and the way Shin Megami Tensei usually present their games is in a more apocalyptic setting. Me and apocalyptic don't mesh well lol. Zombie apocalypse is whatever, but when you start throwing in names from the bible you got me side stepping a little bit. What I like about Persona 5's presentation is that it didn't feel like that at all even though it's certainly there. The demons/personas while not on the creepy side, some still look like the "I don't want to xxxx with you" type. Then you got one where you question the people of Japan (If you play it you're going to question Japan. Don't know if it's in other MegaTen games or not). If there's one thing I want from this series is to be able to create my own character.

Favorite fighting game character(s)

1 - Dudley - USF4, 3rd Strike
2 - Guy - USF4, Alpha
3 - Johnny - Guilty Gear
4 - Jin - Tekken
5 - Hwoarang - Tekken
6 - Ryu - Street Fighter
7 - Sol Badguy - Guilty Gear
8 - Makoto - USF4, 3rd Strike
9 - K' - King of Fighters
10 - Terry Bogard - King of Fighters
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Foggle

MGS4 has the best core stealth mechanics of all the Metal Gear games except 5 (which has much worse level design), so I think, purely from a gameplay standpoint, it's a respectable opinion, even if most of the (insufferable) fans would be angry at you for having it. ;) Personally, I like the MSX games and the Game Boy Color one the most, along with 3 and Rising. If 5 had been like Ground Zeroes all the way through, not only would it have been my favorite in the series, it would easily be one of my favorite games in general. Oh well.

Spoiler
I honestly don't think MGS1 has aged well at all. I loved it as a kid but I simply can't enjoy it anymore.
[close]

I have still never played Shenmue, though I hear the Yakuza series (which I love with all my heart) is basically its spiritual successor. Getting copies of the first two games is nigh-impossible these days, so I hope Sega does remasters of them. I've wanted to try them forever.

I also love Majora's Mask more than Ocarina of Time, though OoT is still great of course. My secret Zelda shame is that I recently replayed Link to the Past and didn't like it much at all despite finding Link Between Worlds to be one of this decade's greatest games. Go figure.

Persona is somewhat different from the core SMT series. The religious and apocalyptic elements are toned way down, and the whole bit where P5 is critical of Japan as a society is mostly exclusive to that game (though there are elements of it in P2 as well).

I think my current favorite games would be:

1. Nier / Nier Automata
2. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando / Up Your Arsenal / A Crack In Time
3. Resident Evil 4
4. Lisa
5. Prey (2017)
6. Saints Row IV
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
8. Ninja Gaiden Black
9. Fallout: New Vegas
10. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

I really need to replay God Hand soon. I feel like it should be on this list but I haven't touched it since, I dunno, early high school? Gotta give that masterpiece a go again. F.E.A.R. has only just barely dropped off. I still love it to death, but I've probably played it over 20 times now, so I don't think about it nearly as often anymore. :il_hahaha: I think I slightly prefer Blood these days anyway.

Mustang

To be honest, while I'm sure they're out there I've never ran into a morbid MGS fan. Compared to other fandoms I've always thought that the MGS fandom was on the tame side, but nevertheless, considering the times we're in I'm fairly certain that they'd bite me head off. And talk about a way for Konami to win back some people. Remake the MGX series using MGS5 style of gameplay, for me, all would be forgiven (did I ever mention I'm not loyal ;D)

I never knew Shenmue had the support that it had until Shenmue 3 was announced at E3. An HD remake/remaster is begging to be made. Get on it Sega. I also heard that Yakuza is like a spiritual successor to Shenmue. I may get around to them someday.

3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

gunswordfist

lol at everyone who is mad at MGS 4's skippable cutscenes. It's my favorite game in the series and was my favorite game ever for years. Still need to play 1 though.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Hideki Kamiya posted on Twitter (in Japanese) that the success of Nier Automata "saved the company" and he "cannot thank Yoko Taro enough" for his work with Platinum Games. Apparently they were struggling to find new hires (and likely financially) due to the failures of TMNT & Star Fox and the cancellation of Scalebound, making the future of the studio uncertain, but that's all in the past now. Funny that the sequel to the game that killed Cavia saved Platinum; I love it even more now!

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

FoxKidsLover16

I would say 10 of my favorite games are

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Tales of Symphonia
Sonic Heroes
Super Mario World
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Donkey Kong Country
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Also, being my favorite console, I might as well do my favorite Gamecube games (in no order)

SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom
Super Smash Bros. Melee
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Tales of Symphonia
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Sonic Heroes
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Sonic Mega Collection
Viewtiful Joe
Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
Pikmin 2
Luigi's Mansion
Sonic Adventure DX
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sonic Gems Collection
Sonic Riders
Animal Crossing
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Lego Star Wars: The Video Game
Pikmin

Spark Of Spirit

DOOM coming to the Switch. Sure I've already played it, but that is awesome. It was the one Bethesda game I actually wanted to be re-released, and for a portable console at that!

Foggle

Tagline should be "RIP and TEAR on the GO!" Maybe a pun-tastic live action commercial about people working in an office building to advertise it.

Spark Of Spirit

And the Switch is also getting Wolfenstein II. Man, Bethesda really pulling out all the stops here.

There's a demo on the eshop for Octopath Traveler. I'll give it a play and post my impressions in another thread.