Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I'm replaying The Evil Within to prepare for the sequel next week and three years later my opinion on this game still hasn't changed. It's quite janky and a probably a bit too difficult at times but I really do love it. I can see why some would find the early levels frustrating with their focus on stealth over action, but I could go on for pages about how Chapter 3 is a masterclass of game design, and once you hit the second half of Chapter 5 it really does feel like the true sequel to Resident Evil 4. I'm on Chapter 7 right now, which is one of my favorite parts of the game, and it's so good. I hope the sequel can live up to it, but considering that it's not directed by Mikami himself and that I've heard rumblings of "open world," I'm not expecting too much. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong!

Dr. Insomniac

I've been binging through gameplay video after gameplay video of Cuphead. This game is such a delight to watch. It takes such a familiar aesthetic and reinvigorates it with new life. I'd love to see what the creators will do next.

gunswordfist

I need to get Cuphead. I love the art/animation and I have been waiting for a shoot em up platformer lke this for awhile now.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

My friend gifted me a copy of Cuphead on Steam and I played most of World 1 last night. I love it so far! The artwork and animation are ridiculously good, the soundtrack is amazing, and the gameplay is super smooth & a lot of fun. It's pretty damn hard but not particularly frustrating on most occasions. The game is mostly boss fights but that's totally fine since said boss fights are some of the best I've ever played. I did expect something more like Metal Slug but I'm definitely not complaining. GOTY contender for sure.

VLordGTZ

Quote from: Foggle on October 06, 2017, 10:25:21 AM
My friend gifted me a copy of Cuphead on Steam and I played most of World 1 last night. I love it so far! The artwork and animation are ridiculously good, the soundtrack is amazing, and the gameplay is super smooth & a lot of fun. It's pretty damn hard but not particularly frustrating on most occasions. The game is mostly boss fights but that's totally fine since said boss fights are some of the best I've ever played. I did expect something more like Metal Slug but I'm definitely not complaining. GOTY contender for sure.

Coincidentally, I also got Cuphead last night and played through World 1!  My praises are pretty much the same as yours.  I love this game so much, and I can't wait to play more!

I haven't been playing many games lately besides that.  I got Rayman Legends on my Switch a few weeks ago since I never beat it on Wii U, and that's been really fun.  I also got an SNES Classic last week and decided to re-play Donkey Kong Country on it.  Maybe it's the fact that I haven't played it in a while, but it's way easier than I remember.  King K Rool especially felt too easy for a final boss.  How did I have so much trouble beating him as a kid?  ???

Commode

Cuphead is a bastard of a game, but it's tons of fun.  Nothing better than finally beating some cartoony boss after they've been kicking your ass for an hour.
It doesn't matter what you say, soon you'll be dead anyway.

Foggle

Been playing the hell out of the Metal Slug series again recently. Man, the pre-Playmore era games were just perfection. There are arcade perfect releases of 1-3 (and X) out for modern consoles (PS4, Switch, XB1) now; they're part of a series called ACA NEOGEO and I highly recommend them! The PS4 also has an older arcade perfect release of 3 which is on sale for <$4 right now and features online play, as well as an emulated version of Metal Slug Anthology - which isn't perfect, as the games feature some input lag and run a bit differently than they should, but it's also the only way to play 4-6 on current hardware. I honestly really like every game in the main series, even 4. Metal Slug XX is getting a remaster for PS4 this summer too!

Anyway, the main reason I made this post is because I was curious about playing GunForce 2 again (which is basically Metal Slug 0 for those who don't know), and I found out there actually is an official release of it on PC as part of something called IREM Arcade Hits! I haven't bought it yet so I can't vouch for the emulation quality but I'm happy there's an easy and legal way to play this great game finally. :)

Mustang

Favorite Fighting Games

01 - Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
02 - Ultra Street Fighter 4
03 - Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus R
04 - Marvel vs Capcom 2
05 - Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2
06 - Street Fighter Alpha 2
07 - Street Fighter x Tekken
08 - Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
09 - Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition
10 - King of Fighter 13

I've yet to play any of the BlazBlue games and Under Night in Birth is another game I'm looking to get into. Not to mention that Street Fighter x Tekken has a special place in my heart (good chance Tekken 7 will be coming off this list)

DBFz was on here, but considering how I like my fighting games it don't belong on my list.

Edit: Alright now I got some much needed rest so I can give some sort of explanation.

1st off, SFxT, like I said has a soft spot in my heart because it's basically SF4 with Tekken characters added in. (I hate the idea that you're paying for colors, but it's pretty much the same thing people are doing now) I don't think this game has been fully fleshed out like USF4 has been. Take Dudley for instance. In USF4 there were so many ways for him to confirm or frame trap you until people started thinking he was broken (even though it was only Smug), but nobody has ever tested to see if those same combos/frame traps worked in SFxT. Most of the time you just saw people going for the same combo (no problem with that, but it certainly got boring after a while).

I think I've talked about 3rd Strike and USF4 enough so I won't bother with those. Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the other hand, well that's where most of my fun moments came from against my brother. We had some epic back and forth matches as he played Adon/Rolento while I played Guy/Ryu. At the time my Ryu couldn't be touched but as Guy we kept trading wins/losses. I think we were playing this either on the Saturn or the PS1 and this was pretty much the final time I would play a Street Fighter game until 2010 (I was introduced to Alpha 3 and SSF4)

The Guilty Gear's and the Marvel's. I love the freedom these games allow (which is why there is still room for the BlazBlue's and the Under Nights). There's more freedom in Guilty Gear (and I think BlazBlue) than the Marvel games because of movement and, well, command normals and whatnot, but there's still some freedom in the Marvel games. I think Guilty Gear XX2 has a leg up on Marvel 2 because of its freedom (I don't think any game will beat Marvel 2's roster). Johnny for instance. Satou and DC (I think that's his name) are 2 of the best Johnny players but you can the difference between the 2 because of the style of play despite GG being a rushdown heavy game.

All the games except SF5 and KoF13 are like that, I just think GG does it better than the rest. As for KoF13. I got nothing for you. Thought I'd give it a mention because of Evo2012.

Tekken 7 gets a section by itself because I'm thinking of taking it off for Tekken 3. Only reason I haven't is because I barely remember it despite remembering having a blast playing it. Bandai Namco did a lot of things right, but messed up in a lot of other areas. There are so many characters that I like I would never have an issue trying to figure out who'd I pick up as a main. That being said, it's incomplete. I don't know what BN were doing prior to the 2 years before releasing the game, but like SF5, it came out incomplete and the fact that it was swept under the rug is mind boggling. No tutorial is a big problem. If there were no guides on Youtube already a lot of people would be screwed, especially since you got people in the community saying this is the hardest Tekken has ever been.

Now the dark horse. Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition over Street Fighter 2. I'm gonna tell it like it is. I don't play Street Fighter 2 at all. Yes it got me started, no I don't pay homage (if it were a "best" list, maybe) when it comes to my games. Do I respect the oldies? Yes. Will I ever go back to where it all began? HELLLLL NO! That being said, Street Fighter 5: Arcade Edition, good God the community is toxic, and despite not having a main, the game is still fun. I do wish that Capcom would stop taking away the fun stuff (resets, setups). That's the stuff I'm like learning.

Smooth Edit: For Street Fighter x Tekken purposes.

Edit 2:

If I were to update my actual favorite games list

Quote from: Me
01 - Shenmue
02 - Ultra Street Fighter 4 / Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
03 - Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots
04 - Mass Effect 2
05 - Persona 5
06 - Uncharted 3
07 - Devil May Cry 3
08 - Halo Reach
09 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
10 - Gears of War 2

01 - Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
02 - Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain
03 - Shenmue
04 - Mass Effect 2
05 - Ninja Gaiden Black / Ninja Gaiden 2
06 - Nioh
07 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
08 - Persona 5
09 - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10 - Halo Reach / Halo 3

Honestly, I can probably bring Shenmue all the way down to 5-10 now since that's there for nostalgia and I'm not so sure it'll hold up today. Also, I can easily replace Persona 5 with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantsdy 8 and/or Final Fantasy 4. I've just been in the moment for quite some time with P5.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My favorite fighting games:

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV
2. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

....and that's pretty much it.

I like plenty of other fighting games, but these are the only two that I will always eventually come back to. I really like DBFZ, but I'll need to give it a few years to see if it stands the test of time.

Spark Of Spirit

My top 5 is pretty straightforward.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Soul Calibur
Rival Schools: United by Fate
Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

If you have a PS4 and a PS Plus account, I wouldn't mind getting Garou again to play some online matches. I already own it for the XBOX360 but could never find anyone to play against online.

Plus, I have as n arcade stick for the PS4 anyways.

Mustang

Quote from: Mustang on May 26, 2018, 10:01:29 PM
01 - Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
02 - Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain
03 - Shenmue
04 - Mass Effect 2
05 - Ninja Gaiden Black / Ninja Gaiden 2
06 - Nioh
07 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
08 - Persona 5
09 - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10 - Halo Reach / Halo 3

Honestly, I can probably bring Shenmue all the way down to 5-10 now since that's there for nostalgia and I'm not so sure it'll hold up today. Also, I can easily replace Persona 5 with Chrono Trigger, Final Fantsdy 8 and/or Final Fantasy 4. I've just been in the moment for quite some time with P5.

Decided to update.

01 - Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
02 - Nioh
03 - Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
04 - Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
05 - Ninja Gaiden / Ninja Gaiden 2
06 - Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
07 - Mass Effect 2
08 - Halo Reach
09 - Shenmue
10 - Final Fantasy 4

I won't say Breath of the Wild is perfect, but I think it's pretty close to it. I don't mind the weapons breaking, but I would've preferred to be able to upgrade them somehow. I also would've liked to see maybe a little more dungeons, perhaps, or more guardians. Other than that this is how I'd like the Zelda games to be.

Nioh, again, not perfect, but close to it. I've said it time and time again that I hate stamina bars (despite me being curious about the Dark Souls series that stamina bar is what's keeping me from giving in) but in here it's what makes the game interesting. I think I'd like to see it more like Ninja Gaiden / 2. No ki pulse but keep the combat the same. Keep all the stance cancels to keep the combat deep enough and extend combos. Other than that this game is sick.

From a story perspective (or rather the way it's presented) MGS4 had me hooked from beginning to end. Gameplay perspective Phantom Pain is too good. It's unfortunate that Kojima had a fallout with Konami because I would love to see what PP would be like if it were complete.

I think I've explained the others enough.
Street Fighter 6 - Ken, Cammy
Tekken 8 - Hwoarang, Lee, Kazuya

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Glad you really like Nioh. It's easily my favorite game of last year, and in general one of the few action titles that could really hold my attention from any game that came out this decade.

Team Ninja really fucked up with Ninja Gaiden 3, to the point where I had lost complete faith in them and didn't think that they could ever win me back. This game basically restored them to their former glory in one go, which is an amazing feat in and of itself.

Foggle

Speaking of Nioh, I just got it in the mail today! :) Imported the Complete Edition for around $35. Last year was probably my favorite year in gaming since maybe 2010 and I'm excited to play what is likely the best title I missed out on.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Hope you enjoy it! :joy:

There's a bit of a learning curve but don't hesitate to ask for any tips. The game is actually a bit easier than Souls/Bloodborne, IMO, once you grasp some of it's more useful mechanics.