Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggle

I'd actually move both Shattered Soldier and Contra (Arcade) up one tier, but, yeah, that's a great list.

Spark Of Spirit

I'm not big on Boss-focused Contra games other than the original Hard Corps, but I do think it's a great game. Arcade Contra is just too stiff for my tastes. Still beats Super C's arcade version, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Just thought I'd post this sweet banner someone made for Hard Corps Uprising:

Spoiler
[close]

Sweet. Only game it's missing is 4 to represent the whole top tier.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

I'm almost done my DS post for the VG board, I'm just wondering if I should wait until the 3DS comes out or something to post it. I'm not sure what would be the best time to give it the most attention, where people would be interested in talking about how awesome the DS is.

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on February 16, 2011, 11:31:37 PM
Contra tier list-

Top Tier:
Contra (NES)
Contra 4
Contra: Hard Corps
Hard Corps: Uprising

Upper/Mid Tier:
Contra 3: The Alien Wars
Operation C
Super C (NES)
Contra: Shattered Solider
Contra ReBirth

Mid/Low Tier:
Neo Contra
Contra (Arcade)
Super C (Arcade)

Bottom Tier:
Contra: Legacy Of War
C: The Contra Adventure

I deem this as fact.
Whoa, Uprising past the test. Anyway, I believe I've only played CHC, C3, Contra (literally for just a few seconds on my phone to test it out) Super C (same as Contra) and Shattered Soldier (played a bit of it over a friend's house)
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

People tend to like Shattered Soldier a lot more than I do. I think it's a great game, but not enough levels and too many bosses. And the ranking system in the PS2 Contra games (IE, you have to master the game to unlock parts of it) is retarded.

It's a good game, but it doesn't top the NES classics, or the more recent games.

Basically for me, the top of the list are what I would consider the best action games ever, the upper would be fantastic games that almost match up, and low would be mediocre games. Bottom is just shit.

Spark Of Spirit

Let's try a Sonic tier list. For a twist, I'm not going to include the Genesis games, because they would be auto-top of the list, and I want to make this more interesting. So here are the best Sonic games outside of the Genesis:

Sonic Colors (Wii)
Sonic CD
Sonic The Hedgehog (Master System/Game Gear)
Sonic Advance
Sonic Rush Adventure
Sonic Rush
Sonic Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 2 (Master System/Game Gear)
Sonic Unleashed HD
Sonic Heroes (last modern game I played until Unleashed)
Sonic Advance 2

There are quite a lot of good to great non-Genesis Sonic games.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Both Sonic Adventure games and (probably) Colors would top the list among the 3D games. Then you'd skip mid tier and only have "crap" tier, which all of the others would fit in (well, maybe Unleashed could be considered mid-tier to some extent). Well, alright, I actually haven't played any of the GBA Sonic games, so for all I know maybe those are good, but really there isn't much to say about the post-genesis Sonic games except for the fact that the Adventure games at least got the 3D formula down fairly decently before Sega royally fucked it up instead of continuing to go in the right direction (at least until Colors came out).

How about doing a Mega Man tier list? That way I can see what other Mega Man games I need to play. :sly:

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on March 09, 2011, 07:08:06 PM
Both Sonic Adventure games and (probably) Colors would top the list among the 3D games. Then you'd skip mid tier and only have "crap" tier, which all of the others would fit in (well, maybe Unleashed could be considered mid-tier to some extent). Well, alright, I actually haven't played any of the GBA Sonic games, so for all I know maybe those are good, but really there isn't much to say about the post-genesis Sonic games except for the fact that the Adventure games at least got the 3D formula down fairly decently before Sega royally fucked it up instead of continuing to go in the right direction (at least until Colors came out).
Trust me, if I actually played all the shit Sega released between Unleashed and Heroes, my opinion on the series would probably be as low as the general public. Though Heroes is a glitchy mess, so I really don't want to know how bad it gets.

The portable Sonic games have always been great, though. The only one I would call terrible would be Sonic Advance 2 because it's not very well designed, but the rest are all platformers that range from great to just good.

QuoteHow about doing a Mega Man tier list? That way I can see what other Mega Man games I need to play. :sly:
Oh man... Give me a while for that one.  :whip:

There's a lot of stuff to shift through.

Spark Of Spirit

Mega Man Master List (Holy crap this is long)

Not including Battle Network games as they are a totally different genre (RPG) and are not action games like these are.

Top Tier
Mega Man X
Mega Man 3 (NES)
Mega Man 9
Mega Man Zero 3
Mega Man X2
Mega Man Zero 2

Upper Tier
Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 (I think of them as one long game)
Mega Man X3
Mega Man 2 (NES)
Mega Man X4
Mega Man Zero
Mega Man X8

Mid Tier
Mega Man (NES) / Powered Up (PSP)
Mega Man 7 (SNES)
Mega Man Zero 4
Mega Man 5 (NES)
Mega Man X5
Mega Man Battle Network Transmission
Mega Man ZX

Low Tier
Mega Man & Bass
Mega Man 8
Mega Man (Game Boy)
Mega Man 2 (Game Boy)
Mega Man 10
Mega Man 4 (NES)
Mega Man 6 (NES)

Bottom Tier
Mega Man X6
Mega Man ZX Advent
Mega Man X7

Avoid the bottom tier like the plague. Awful, AWFUL games. Low tier are decent games, but pale in comparison with the remainder of the list. Top tier are among what I consider the best games ever and the upper tier is not so far off.

I have yet to play the Game Gear Mega Man game, or the remaining 3 Gameboy games so I can't rank them.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Awesome! So I'll make sure to try and play the MM games from mid-tier and up. ;D

gunswordfist

My Mega Man list: (as incomplete as it is)
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Mega Man 5
Mega Man 4
Mega Man X (Haven't beaten yet. On a slow ass PC I was on the part after I get Zero's gun)
Mega Man Zero (Wasn't even close to beating it)
Mega Man 1 (Haven't beat Yellow Devil yet)
Mega Man 7
Mega Man X 2 (Sht, placeholder. I've barely played the game. I liked what little I played and honestly I love all the MMs above so this game isn't low because it sucks)
Mega Man 8/6 (I've only played one level of 8 and I think pieces of other. 6 is straight up ass though)

Oww boy, this list shows how great the Rock Man series is. The only game I hate is 6. 8 gets a question mark for now.

I replaye 1-6 (or 5..hell, that's likely) soon after I beat them for the first time just a year or two ago. While playing 3, 4 and 5, I had what Desen said about 3 and was basically playing just to do my own comparison. I actually fall in love with 4 and 5 more (and 2, I believe) and I say those games are just as good as 3. So 3 is not topping my list. Also, I think 5 doesn't get enough love. There's flat out nothing wrong with the game.

Spark Of Spirit

3 is my favorite in the classic series, but I could never tell you why. The slide is a great addition, but I've never been a fan of the charge shot in the classic series. IMO, it breaks the games because they never balanced it right. If you use the charge, the bosses are cakewalks (ESPECIALLY in 4) but if you don't they take ages to die.

5 is a polarizing game for most. Some love it and others think it's just as disappointing as 4 and 6. Personally, I think if it came out instead of 4, it wouldn't get nearly the amount of hate it does. Also, if you can find it, try the NES demake of 7 that fans made. It'll give you new appreciation for 7.
But yeah, it's a great series overall. There are few bad games in the series. (Though the bad ones are baaaaaaaaaaad)

gunswordfist

Whooops, I just rememberethat I accidently put 4 ahead of 5 just because I decided to go into chronological order. I love Dark Man so much. Anyway, yeah great series. 6 is the only awful one I played.

talonmalon333

I made a list recently, actually. Read it if you wish... Sadly I'm too lazy to repost the images. :P

Number One

[IMG]

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Honestly, this is my favorite video game ever. It's one that I'd classify as perfect. Great story, great gameplay, great difficulty, great soundtrack... you get the idea. Thinking about it, I really can't think of any real flaws in the game. In my youth I preferred A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. But as I grew I began to appreciate this game more, understanding it's depth and it's world better. Nothing more need be said.

Number Two

[IMG]

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Mario Galaxy 2 is a game that you doubt when you go into it. I doubted it, and so did many others. But I played it and was blown away. Great gameplay mechanics, real challenge, and Yoshi! Plus, there are so many power-ups in this game. Miyamoto was right when he said they could make a game using the ideas left out of the original! Possibly the best game in the series and, in my opinion, the pinnacle of all platforming!

Number Three

[IMG]

Resident Evil

Here's a game that I've always adored. There are multiple versions. I think the game reached it's peak with the Director's Cut (Dual Shock Addition) version and the GameCube remake. I love the bad voice acting, the soundtrack(s), and the atmosphere of the original. But I love remake for it's new additions, including a more detailed backstory. I'll be keeping up with this series as long as it's name lives on, and I'll welcome any changes. But in the end, this is the game I can be sure I'll always come back to.

Number Four

[IMG]

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Hands down, my favorite 2D platformer. This is the combination of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. I count them together because Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the game it truly is, what it would have been if not for other issues. Playing through this game is just a blast, and I love just about every level. It also has an awesome final boss section. And might I mention that soundtrack? They really brought out the best in a system with weak sound quality. But I guess that's what Sonic was good at!

Number Five

[IMG]

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

My second favorite in the series. The Wind Waker is just amazing. The dungeons are bland and the combat is weak, but this game just excels in so many ways. Beautiful graphics, varied soundtrack, great story, characters with depth, exploration, and just a wonderful world overall. I love sailing in this game, wondering where to go next. There's so much out there to see! And I don't care what anyone says. The Triforce piece hunt is the best part of the game.

Number Six

[IMG]

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Mario might, by name, be the king of 2D platforming. But for me, Donkey Kong did it best. Donkey Kong Country 3 was good but not great, and Returns was an amazing comeback, but the decision came down to the first 2. I love the first Donkey Kong Country for it's more simple platforming and level variety. I also don't think you can beat a team of Donkey and Diddy! However, I just adore the second game for it's unique level design, it's soundtrack, it's high seas theme, and a bleak atmosphere. Plus, it was more challenging! Everything in this game just feels so... perfect.

Number Seven

[IMG]

Star Fox 64

For some reason, this game doesn't get much attention on this site. Maybe it's cause the Star Fox series isn't as good as most other Nintendo franchises? Whatever the case, this game deserves praise and is what the series is best at. The game has good challenge, constantly giving you rushes of adrenaline. And let's not forget the voice acting! Come on, this game has some of the most memorable dialogue in all of gaming! One of Nintendo's masterpieces.

Number Eight

[IMG]

Super Mario Galaxy

Both Mario Galaxies are mind blowing, so great and equally matched that I HAD have both of them on this list. Sure, the sequel might have been superior as far as gameplay and platforming go. But this one has it's own advantages! For one, I enjoy that this has more emphasis on story. More importantly though is the magical atmosphere that it creates through the visuals and soundtrack. The soundtrack is absolutely beautiful, one of the best I know in gaming. And while the graphics in Mario Galaxy 2 might be just as good, the colors are brighter which give it a more upbeat, traditional Mario feel. But this game features darker colors with lighting that suits the deep space mood. It's honestly the most beautiful game I've ever played, and feels like Mario takes place in the Disney universe!

Number Nine

[IMG]

Dragon Seeds

This used to be higher, but I moved it down because, these days, I find that I enjoy the other games more. But anyway, it's an extremely obscure game. I never fully understood why I love it so much. The combat system is as basic as rock-paper-scissors. Perhaps I just love raising dragons. The game is so addicting. It also has one of the best soundtracks ever. The models for dragons themselves have aged poorly, but the environments themselves still look great. What genre would this fit into? Tactical? Doesn't matter! It's great!

Number Ten

[IMG]

Pokemon Red and Blue

I'm a casual RPG player. I play them and like them, but I admit I'm less hardcore then many. Admittedly the combat systems in many RPGs, while good, wares on me with it's repetition. But Pokémon is a game I've always adored. It's story is basic, but the depth of it's combat system is staggering. I've almost always preferred it to the bigger in scope Gold and Silver. I just prefer the original Pokémon and areas. Exploiting glitches in this game is also fun!