Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Good list, although I prefer the Fire Read/Leaf Green remakes to the original versions of the game. Adding in the special attack and special defense stats went a long way towards balancing out the game for the better, and the whole EV and IV system made things more interesting since no 2 Pokemon in the game could have the exact same stats (even those of the same exact type). It also made it more rewarding to level up the Pokemon naturally, that way, rather than resorting to Rare Candies which had absolutely no consequences in the original games (although, then again, that only really comes into play if you want to battle against other opponents).

Speaking of Pokemon, I left off with Ruby when I was half-way into it, but I have to admit that it just doesn't feel as fun as the generation 1 and 2 games. Its not that I'm necessarily tired of the formula itself, but the execution of the game feels so half-assed in comparison to Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Anyways, my favorite Pokemon game is probably still Gold/Silver/Crystal (I count all versions of each generation as one complete game, on the whole), but Fire Red/Leaf Green comes in pretty close for me.

Foggle

Most people tend to agree that the series goes down the toilet after generation 2 (also my favorite), though my friend assures me that Black/White are "amazing."

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

That depends on who you ask. The hardcore multiplayer crowd (yes, Pokemon actually has a pretty deep multiplayer component, believe it or not), loves generation 3 as it has some of the best Pokemon in the series, in terms of practicality and battle strategies, but the fanbase is pretty split when it comes to the DS games. Those who like playing Pokemon mostly for its single-player campaign, such as myself, have some who like Diamond/Pearl and some who think its pretty "meh" (I myself haven't even tried it yet, though), and its pretty much the same deal for Black/White. And the multiplayer crowd is split on the DS games as well, since it basically changed EVERYTHING about how stats and strategies work and which Pokemon are more useful than others, which is why there is a whole crowd of fans who prefer the GBA and pre-GBA Pokemon games and those who prefer the DS games.

Overall, though, I think another problem of mine may just be that I don't find a lot of the new Pokemon past generation 2 to be all that interesting, personally. A lot of their designs are pretty bland and most of them come off as just being boring versions of basic sort of Pokemon from generation 1 (like, each generation has its own version of Alakazam and Dragonite and various other popular Pokemon). For me it just feels pretty boring if I have no interest in what I'm trying to capture and train.

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 19, 2011, 11:33:46 PMGood list, although I prefer the Fire Read/Leaf Green remakes to the original versions of the game. Adding in the special attack and special defense stats went a long way towards balancing out the game for the better, and the whole EV and IV system made things more interesting since no 2 Pokemon in the game could have the exact same stats (even those of the same exact type). It also made it more rewarding to level up the Pokemon naturally, that way, rather than resorting to Rare Candies which had absolutely no consequences in the original games (although, then again, that only really comes into play if you want to battle against other opponents).

Fair enough. I can certainly agree that Leaf Green and Fire Red are better. I just prefer Red and Blue cause... well, maybe nostalgia. :P

But wait, I thought Rare Candies were already worse then natural leveling up in the original, like stats only increased by half!

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on May 19, 2011, 11:53:49 PMOverall, though, I think another problem of mine may just be that I don't find a lot of the new Pokemon past generation 2 to be all that interesting, personally. A lot of their designs are pretty bland and most of them come off as just being boring versions of basic sort of Pokemon from generation 1 (like, each generation has its own version of Alakazam and Dragonite and various other popular Pokemon). For me it just feels pretty boring if I have no interest in what I'm trying to capture and train.

That's EXACTLY it for me. I don't like the new Pokemon.

I need to play Black and White. People also tell me that their great, but it would take a lot to top Gold and Silver or Red and Blue. ;)

And since you're a big fan of Gold and Silver, did you try their remakes? I need to get around to that as well.

Spark Of Spirit

The last Pokemon games I played were in gen 2, and I used the remakes to get me back into the series. They really are a vastly improved version of those games, if you want to get back into Pokemon, I recommend starting their. The balance of familiarity and new is enough to really click for those of us who haven't played the series in forever.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

gunswordfist

Quote from: Desensitized on May 20, 2011, 06:12:53 AM
The last Pokemon games I played were in gen 2, and I used the remakes to get me back into the series. They really are a vastly improved version of those games, if you want to get back into Pokemon, I recommend starting their. The balance of familiarity and new is enough to really click for those of us who haven't played the series in forever.
Same here! I might just do that. I did leave the series on a good note (great, in fact. Crystal's my favorite) so it shouldn't betoo hard to get back in with the remakes.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

I'll probably get it just to play No More Heroes again in HD. Though I don't have the Move so I'd be playing it with a standard controller.

Foggle

Quote from: Eddy on July 06, 2011, 03:23:07 PM
I'll probably get it just to play No More Heroes again in HD. Though I don't have the Move so I'd be playing it with a standard controller.
I tried playing NMH 2 with the classic controller, and I'll just say that No More Heroes (one of my absolute favorite games) is a lot less fun without motion controls.

Eddy

Oh yeah, I can only imagine. I've only played NMH and NMH2 with the motion controls (never tried the Classic) but it's one of the few Wii games where the motion controls really add to the overrall game. There's something about doing that finishing strike or wrestling move on an enemy that just feels so satisfying with motion controls.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My current top 25 favorite video games of all time (just because I feel like it):

*Its been too long since I last played a classic Sonic game, which is why I can't rank them as of the moment.

*Stranger's Wrath is yet another game that just missed the list because its been too long since I last replayed it.

*I was thinking of ranking BioShock, but while I still enjoy the game, it just doesn't hold up to replay value as well as other games on this list.

25. Star Wars: Jedi Academy
24. Super Mario Bros. 3
23. Donkey Kong Country
22. Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
21. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
20. Ninja Gaiden II (XBOX360)
19. TimeSplitters 2
18. Halo: Combat Evolved
17. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
16. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
15. Super Mario World
14. Star Fox 64
13. Soul Calibur II
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
11. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II- Jedi Outcast
10. Power Stone 2
9. Mega Man X
8. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
7. F.E.A.R.
6. Jet Set Radio Future
5. Max Payne
4. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

And my most favorite game of ALL TIME, IS....

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Yes, I have finally given into the greatness of the greatest game ever! I was so blind to never notice that a game that forces you to play it one way, and one way only is what makes for the greatest gaming experience of all-time. Who cares if its not that long and only lasts one-time anyways. Games only need to be played once. Who wants harder difficulties anyways? Why would someone want to play a game for challenge? All you need to do for that is make enemies have more health and deal more damage to you, and that is the perfect way to handle harder difficulties for those who desire a challenge. Also, as long as any game has a half-assed multiplaye mode attached to it, that automatically makes up for any replay value that its single-player is lacking, thus Uncharted 2 is the best game of all-NAH, I'M JUST KIDDING! LOL!

My favorite game is still what it has always been for anyone here who actually knows me. :thumbup:

talonmalon333

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2011, 12:03:52 AM
My current top 25 favorite video games of all time (just because I feel like it):

*Its been too long since I last played a classic Sonic game, which is why I can't rank them as of the moment.

*Stranger's Wrath is yet another game that just missed the list because its been too long since I last replayed it.

*I was thinking of ranking BioShock, but while I still enjoy the game, it just doesn't hold up to replay value as well as other games on this list.

25. Star Wars: Jedi Academy
24. Super Mario Bros. 3
23. Donkey Kong Country
22. Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
21. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
20. Ninja Gaiden II (XBOX360)
19. TimeSplitters 2
18. Halo: Combat Evolved
17. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
16. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
15. Super Mario World
14. Star Fox 64
13. Soul Calibur II
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
11. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II- Jedi Outcast
10. Power Stone 2
9. Mega Man X
8. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green
7. F.E.A.R.
6. Jet Set Radio Future
5. Max Payne
4. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
3. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Yes, I have finally given into the greatness of the greatest game ever! I was so blind to never notice that a game that forces you to play it one way, and one way only is what makes for the greatest gaming experience of all-time. Who cares if its not that long and only lasts one-time anyways. Games only need to be played once. Who wants harder difficulties anyways? Why would someone want to play a game for challenge? All you need to do for that is make enemies have more health and deal more damage to you, and that is the perfect way to handle harder difficulties for those who desire a challenge. Also, as long as any game has a half-assed multiplaye mode attached to it, that automatically makes up for any replay value that its single-player is lacking, thus Uncharted 2 is the best game of all-NAH, I'M JUST KIDDING! LOL!

My favorite game is still what it has always been for anyone here who actually knows me. :thumbup:

Good list, but I'm just curious. What happened to SA and SA2? I thought you were always a big fan of 'em.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Just like with the classic Sonic games, its been ages since I last replayed those as well, save for the demo of the first level of SA1, so I can't properly judge those games until I see how well they hold up (the last time I played them was about 4 years ago).

Foggle

Great list, E-K! I'll go ahead and do a current one for myself, I guess.

25. No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
24. Painkiller
23. System Shock 2
22. Mass Effect 2
21. Metal Slug X
20. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
19. Duke Nukem 3D
18. Ninja Gaiden 2 (360)
17. Resident Evil 4
16. Fatal Frame 2
15. Thief 2: The Metal Age
14. Half-Life
13. Super Mario Bros. 3
12. Hitman: Blood Money
11. Max Payne
10. Super Metroid
9. Yakuza 4
8. Metal Slug 3
7. Devil May Cry 3
6. Ninja Gaiden (Xbox/PS3)
5. Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
4. Bayonetta
3. Deus Ex
2. F.E.A.R.
1. God Hand

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on July 14, 2011, 12:03:52 AM

I nearly shit myself, holy fuck. :lol: :lol: