Favorite Games Ever (Besides Ninja Gaiden, Obviously)

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, December 27, 2010, 05:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

My top 10 personal favorite Capcom games:

10. Aladdin (SNES)
9. Power Stone 2
8. Devil May Cry 4
7. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
6. Devil May Cry (original)
5. Ultra Street Fighter IV
4. Mega Man X
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
2. Resident Evil 4
1. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening (Special Edition)

Top 10 personal favorite Sega games: (This list includes either Sega published games OR console exclusives not necessarily published by them)

10. Sonic Adventure
9. Comix Zone (Genesis/Mega Drive Exclusive)
8. Gunstar Heroes
7. Vanquish
6. Streets of Rage 2
5. Jet Set Radio Future
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
3. Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis/Mega Drive Exclusive)
2. Bayonetta
1. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles

Top 10 personal favorite SNES games:

10. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
9. Chrono Trigger
8. Super Castlevania IV
7. Super Street Fighter II Turbo
6. Mario Kart
5. Kirby Superstar
4. Super Mario World
3. Mega Man X
2. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong-Quest
1. Yoshi's Island

Foggle

When I think about it, Capcom is responsible for a large chunk of my all-time favorite games. Those are all great choices. My list would probably be

10. Project Justice
9. Viewtiful Joe
8. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons
7. Dragon's Dogma
6. Killer7
5. Devil May Cry 3 (Special Edition)
4. Devil May Cry
3. Resident Evil (Remake)
2. God Hand
1. Resident Evil 4

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Cool list. Resident Evil 4 is definitely one of the greatest games ever made. And while Capcom has been shit with their business practices for years, nothing changes the fact that they were the greatest third party publisher between console generations three to six.

I really need to play the Rival Schools games. Still, except for Third Strike and the CVS games, which I'm sure that I'll love, I think that USF4 will remain my favorite fighting game of all time. I've never played another game with 40+ playable characters, and not one of them a carbon copy of the other. Each character is so unique and interesting to control and play as. Street Fighter, much like Resident  Evil, is one of those iconic franchises that I used to take for granted. But actually playing it made me realize just why it has such a well-earned legendary status in the first place.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Ultra Street Fighter IV is legitimately one of my favorite games ever. It's a game that I personally grew a bond with over time. No, it's probably not the best fighting game ever, or the most content-rich, or as universally appealing as SF2, but I really don't care about those things. It just really works for me, and that's all that matters.

I'm planning to write a more in-depth post on why I like it so much.

Spark Of Spirit

"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Mustang

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on May 10, 2016, 08:07:58 PM
Ultra Street Fighter IV is legitimately one of my favorite games ever. It's a game that I personally grew a bond with over time. No, it's probably not the best fighting game ever, or the most content-rich, or as universally appealing as SF2, but I really don't care about those things. It just really works for me, and that's all that matters.

For the most part I agree, but it's no secret that I prefer 3rd Strike over USF4. There's a lot less BS to put up with in 3rd Strike than USF4. And because of the parry mechanic, every character is viable (I'm scared of Twelve/Q just as much as I am scared of Makoto.... GOD she gives me nightmares) except when it comes to higher levels of play, whereas in USF4, at an intermediate level you can begin to see whose stronger than who. FADC's are nowhere near as good as parries. Some characters FADC's are garbage compared to others (Don't get me started of Red Focus) and then the 1-frame links can be quite the obstacle as well.

With that said, for me there would be no 3rd Strike without SSF4. My main is Dudley, that goes without saying. Back when SF3 first came out, much like everyone else, I glossed over it and went to the Alpha series because I didn't care for any of the characters. And in AE2012, I basically spent that entire version searching for a character because I was going through such a character crisis (let alone, a game crisis. Switching between UMvC3 and SSF4AE2012). And then I saw Smugdabeast's play Dudley. Actually rewind, first I saw a Japanese player by the name of HJMxP playing Dudley and he showed off the combos, and that opened my eyes. Then I saw Smug styling on people and he got me hooked. Then I tried Dudley out in training mode and I'm like yoooo, this is the character I've been looking for all along. Went back to 3rd Strike and watched videos of Kokujin's Dudley, hooked me even more, and extra points because most of Dudley's colors to his outfit are too sick (Red and black all the way) not to mention he's a gentleman and his moves were from Hajime no Ippo (When people say find a character that fits you, Dudley is that dude for me).

Now in terms of everything else. I think outside of Metal Gear Solid 3 and Final Fantasy 8, I've put in most of my time playing SF4. Even till this day USF4 still sees playtime from me mainly because I'm not ready to let it go. I've spent so much time in training mode as Ryu and Dudley trying to work on execution back then. Nowadays I'm working on my fundamentals (Spacing, footsies and whiff punishing. Eventually I'll get to frame traps lol).
3S - Ken, Ryu, Dudley
SF6 - Ken, Cammy
GGXrdR2 - Johnny, Sol

Spark Of Spirit

Nobody posted this yet?

Vicarious Visions did a terrific job. I can't wait to try them out again.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Foggle

For some reason I kind of like the old PS1 graphics more. I'll definitely buy this, though! :el_hail:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I really can't stress enough how amazing of a game Nioh is. It has by far surpassed all of my expectations, and is my favorite game in years.

One thing to note, though, is that this really isn't an RPG. While the sub-missions can be tackled out of order as you unlock them, all of the main story missions progress in a linear fashion. That isn't to say that the levels themselves are linear, as they are incredibly well designed with stuff like shortcuts, alternate paths, and tons of hidden secrets. However the story progression and order of main events play out exactly one way.

That said, this is an incredibly deep hack n' slash character action game with extensive RPG elements in regard to how varied and diverse your character builds can be due to an extensively nuanced leveling system. This is EXACTLY what I wanted. As you all know I'm not really to big on RPGs, and I was afraid that this game would be more focused on that than on combat, but this game has some of the best combat in any game that I've ever played in any genre. That said it's a case of you getting out what you put into the game. You could cheese your way through by spamming buffs and debuffs and only sticking to one weapon and specific combos, and the game would feel monotonous. However, if you love to experiment with the plethora of options that this game gives you, the sheer amount that you can discover will astonish you. Like, for example, every single enemy in this game has a guarenteed way that you can critical them, rather than it just being a random number generated thing, and every weapon has specific attacks that can land you each of those criticals when used at the right moments. That right there is excellent game design, and the game never needs to tell you about it by prompting you with a QTE or something of the sort. I simply picked it up as I went through the game, got suck at certain parts, died over and over again, and experimented with different options until it finally clicked with me that I could do his upon nailing criticals a few times by accident and noticing what each of those attacks had in common in regard to where I hit the enemy whenever it happened or what types of attacks I was using in specific stances for each particular weapon.

I'm still not finished with the game yet. I'm currently half-way through the fifth region and there are six in total. Keep in mind that I'm a very slow player, and I am also stopping to complete every single sub-mission along the way, but this is definitely a very meaty game with tons of length to it.

Overall, once I beat this I will still be going back to replay the shit out of it with different builds, and it'll easily rank as one of my favorite games in the hack n' slash genre.

Avaitor

I'm trying to get pumped for Universal's upcoming Nintendo stuff, and as all signs are pointing to Mario Kart and Donkey Kong Country rides, I was trying to look up the best games from both respective franchises to invest my free time to. The general consensus for Mario Kart is that 8 is tops, and is just as good on the Switch as the Wii-U original (which is good, since I plan to get a Switch first), while just checking Donkey Kong as a franchise showed mixed results, but 2 seems to be the overall winner for DKC.

Do you agree on those?
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Tropical Freeze and 2 are the best DKC games. After that you can play any of the other three. All the 2D DKC games are great. Donkey Kong 94 and the original Mario Vs. Donkey Kong are the best non-DKC games in the series.