Rareware / Rare / Playtonic

Started by Spark Of Spirit, January 29, 2011, 08:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

It's particularly disappointing because nobody really makes games like Rare anymore, they added a good variety into the industry even with stuff I didn't like from them like DK64 or Grabbed By the Ghoulies.

I guess it's nice that Eurocom took their FPS ideas and modernized them and Retro did a good job on the new DKC, but I do miss their Jet Force Geminis, their Conkers, their Banjo Kazooies, and their Diddy Kong Racings. Nobody makes games like those anymore.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Eddy

"Hey, so Microsoft, can we make a new Banjo? Or maybe a Conker? Killer Instinct?"
"Nonsense! Developer's like you need to make KINECT GAMES!"

Daxdiv

Don't forget their brief run with their Pok?mon Clone, Viva Pinata. I will say that from what I've played of Viva Pinata, it was a pretty good game. I will attest to that. I even gave that game to a friend of mine back in High School and he got addicted to it. When People bring up Rare I still think that the VP was a good outing for them. Shame it didn't last long considering I can see why a pre-double digit Daxdiv wouldn't like it, too much management in the game, but man those Pinatas were cool.

gunswordfist

Microsoft would have an incredible first party lineup if they let Rare do what they want to. What a terrible loss.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Rynnec

On a more lighter note, here's some unseen footage of Twelve Tails, and Dinosaur Planet.

Kiddington

Twelve Tails looks and feels so much like Banjo-Kazooie. On that end, I can kinda see why they made such a drastic change in direction as they did; while I'm sure the original would have had its fair share of nostalgia (and it looks like a solid platformer all the same), the game, and the Conker character himself, probably would have ended up rather forgotten about in comparison. Hard to say, though.

I've always wondered if a finished (or near finished) version of this game, before it became BFD, exists anywhere, in any form. Every video I've ever seen of it, it looks very close to being complete.

Spark Of Spirit

If it was anywhere near as good as BFD, mature themes or not, it probably would have been great either way.

Shame they never made a 3D platformer after it, though.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Spark Of Spirit

Foggle

Daxdiv

Kiddington

Don't wanna get my hopes up too much at this point, but man... this would be sweeeeeeeeeet.

Avaitor

The inner boy in me would be happy.

And the inner MJ in me would like the inner boy in me.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I'm just glad to see there's enough employees that can form a working development team. Just about everyone else has moved into mobile games or retired.

There better be a shitload of collectibles too.

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Rosalinas Spare Wand on September 26, 2012, 08:58:24 PMThere better be a shitload of collectibles too.
As much as I didn't like DK64... I would probably still want that.

We haven't had a single platformer like this since Jak & Daxter, and I'm really eager to play another one.

Rynnec

Wasn't Epic Mickey supposed to play like an N64 collect-a-thon or something?