Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora

Quote from: No-Personality on February 15, 2011, 01:15:26 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.............. My area of expertise. In life, guys- I'm not kidding. You name something and I suck at, or don't know or care about, it. But I am a walking, talking Encyclopedia of Horror Cinema (at least from the late 60's to the late 1990's).

I think I'm in love with you.  :swoon:

I love horror films! I grew up on this gold and shit! I love discussing the details behind the films, and discussing the canon, continuity and rules of a perspective series.

And two franchsies I hold beyond all is Nightmare on Elm Street and Romero's Dead Series. Constructive  critisism is fine, but be warn that hateful bashing of any of the two won't be good as long as I'm here! :light: ;D

No-Personality

I'm a real Friday the 13th guy- 80's franchise only. Anything after that can take a hike.

As for Nightmare and Romero's Dead series... I obviously avoided the remakes and stopped watching the Dead with Day of, which I just flat-out didn't like (apart from the music score). And I can't believe they screwed up Freddy vs. Jason when they had Ronny Yu, whose other works in horror have been fantastic. Though I haven't seen The Bride with White Hair yet (and everyone says that's his best film anyway).
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Angus

Freddy vs. Jason was more fun to watch the second time, when you can skip to the part where they start fighting each other.

Last fun one I saw was Paranormal Activity, but ugh those first 20 minutes. Also, The Descent 2 was underwhelming.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

No-Personality

I got through maybe 2 minutes of The Descent (part 1) and knew it was rubbish. One of the most overrated movies ever made.
and I love it.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I watched the Descent. To be honest it wasn't nearly as bad as most horror movies in the 2000's, but to me its crime was being more boring than scary. I never even cared about the characters since half of the cast just flat-out annoyed me.

I'd have to say that my most hated horror movies from the last decade would be just about ANYTHING from Platinum Dunes (which shamelessly made cheap cash-in remakes of a lot of older horror series).

I also detested Jeepers Creepers. By far one of the worst attempts at making a horror movie (or a movie in general, for that matter), that I've ever seen. When I think about it, there isn't anything from the past decade in the horror genre (from what I've seen of it, anyways) that I would consider being even close to good. That's really disappointing.

Aurora

Quote from: No-Personality on May 28, 2011, 10:57:03 AM
I'm a real Friday the 13th guy- 80's franchise only. Anything after that can take a hike.

I like Friday the 13th for what it is. Mindless slashers created to entertain. And they do that well enough!

Quote from: No-Personality on May 28, 2011, 10:57:03 AM
As for Nightmare and Romero's Dead series... I obviously avoided the remakes and stopped watching the Dead with Day of, which I just flat-out didn't like (apart from the music score).

I personally, pick "Day of the Dead" as my favorite of the series. A dank, and dirty film through and through that has a extravagant last 20 minutes that shocks and disgusts. It sure did too me the first time watching it.  :-X

No-Personality

Quote from: Aurora on September 06, 2011, 11:15:42 PMextravagant last 20 minutes that shocks and disgusts.
I did like the ending, I can't lie. Especially the zombie eating montage. I actually think that part was better than Dawn's intestine eating scenes in the mall.
and I love it.

talonmalon333

Almost October. Can't wait to watch horror films. Also, I want to get some opinions guys.

The Terminator. Horror film or not?

Avaitor

Nah. It has elements of it in, but it's an action film first and foremost in my eyes.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Didn't James Cameron himself say that he considers it an action film and only just took elements from horror films that he had seen in the past? Maybe I'm just imagining things but I could have sworn I either saw or read him say that in some documentary or article a long time ago. Eitehr way, that's basically how I feel about the film. Well, its not so much a straight-up action film as much as it is a brilliant piece of tech-noir (as it doesn't really become about action until around the last 15-20 minutes or so of the film.

Now, the first Alien is undeniably a straight-up horror flick, though (well, its a sci-fi/horror hybrid, anyways). Aliens, on the otherh and, is a straight-up action movie, so I'm not sure why I used to see that put under the "horror" section at the local Blockbuster that I used to go to before it closed down last year.

talonmalon333

I don't know. Maybe it's been too long since I've seen it, but I don't remember much action. It completely followed the slasher formula...

I just see it as a science fiction movie.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

It had small bits of slasher film elements but no, its not a slasher film. It didn't have much action, true, but it at least had as much action elements as it did horror elements. What the movie really should be categorized as is sci-fi noir. That's basically what it is.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

I just got Halloween (original; obviously) on DVD for $5, as sort of an early birthday present to....myself. :D

I ended up coming across it in a bin of old movies on DVD for $5 or less and upon seeing the classic cover I decided that I was really in the mood to re-watch that film again (especially considering what holiday is coming up), so I decided to just get it at a dirt-cheap price like that. I'll probably end up watching it tomorrow.

Foggle

My favorite horror films are all comedies. And there's only 4 of them. :P In no particular order:

Cemetery Man
Evil Dead 2
Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein
Ichi The Killer (this isn't really a horror movie at all, but some people seem to think it is, so I put it on here)

Of course, I'm also a very big fan of Asian horror films, but most of them tend to blend together for me since I usually watch between 2-4 at a time. :joy:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Heh, Cemetery Man is confusing as fuck, but its also strangely hilarious at the same time. I think that James Rolfe once made a short film that was inspired by the whole "undead rise on every 7th day" concept of that movie.

Speaking of comedic horror movies, I've always wanted to check out Return of the Living Dead ever since James Rolfe talked about it in one episode of Monster Madness. It looks kind of funny from what he showed of it, at least.