Horror

Started by Avaitor, February 07, 2011, 02:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talonmalon333

Quote from: Foggle on October 22, 2011, 12:13:39 PM
My favorite horror films are all comedies. And there's only 4 of them. :P In no particular order:

Cemetery Man
Evil Dead 2
Bud Abbott and Lou Costello Meet Frankenstein
Ichi The Killer (this isn't really a horror movie at all, but some people seem to think it is, so I put it on here)

Of course, I'm also a very big fan of Asian horror films, but most of them tend to blend together for me since I usually watch between 2-4 at a time. :joy:

I didn't want to count comedies, really. But if I did, Evil Dead II does crush it's predecessor.

Foggle

Quote from: Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2011, 12:17:56 PM
Heh, Cemetery Man is confusing as fuck, but its also strangely hilarious at the same time. I think that James Rolfe once made a short film that was inspired by the whole "undead rise on every 7th day" concept of that movie.
Wow, I'm surprised someone else here has seen it! Very cool. :joy:

I love that movie because it combines hilarious dark comedy with disturbing surrealism. Almost all of my favorite films contain at least one of those elements. ;)

Avaitor

I don't think I could pull a list out myself, but I'd probably consider the original Nosferatu my personal favorite horror film.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Dr. Insomniac

M, Nosferatu, and Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

Don't want to come off as some kind of anorak that can only enjoy shit made before my grandparents were born, but I just think those set the standard that horror hasn't managed to top so far. The old and grainy atmosphere, the grey characterization, the macabre direction; all of it was masterfully planned.

Avaitor

Oh, M. I forgot about that for some reason, heh. I think it counts more as a thriller, along with Psycho, though at the same time, they set the groundworks for horror moreso than any other films.

I guess those are my favorites, along with Nosferatu. If I had to pick a more recent film for my fav though... probably Night of the Living Dead.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

talonmalon333

Quote from: Avaitor on October 22, 2011, 10:59:40 PM
I don't think I could pull a list out myself, but I'd probably consider the original Nosferatu my personal favorite horror film.

That one might have my favorite Dracula, but I go with the remake by a TINY bit.

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 22, 2011, 05:02:38 PMI didn't want to count comedies, really. But if I did, Evil Dead II does crush it's predecessor.
How so?
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

talonmalon333

Quote from: No-Personality on October 23, 2011, 02:28:02 PM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 22, 2011, 05:02:38 PMI didn't want to count comedies, really. But if I did, Evil Dead II does crush it's predecessor.
How so?

I just love the comedy in it.

Spark Of Spirit

My favorite horror films are all comedies. And there's only 4 of them. :P In no particular order:

Cemetery Man
Evil Dead 2
Ichi The Killer (this isn't really a horror movie at all, but some people seem to think it is, so I put it on here)

Of course, I'm also a very big fan of Asian horror films, but most of them tend to blend together for me since I usually watch between 2-4 at a time. :joy:
Watch An American Werewolf In London. It's totally up your alley.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Foggle

Quote from: Desensitized on October 24, 2011, 09:50:20 PM

Cemetery Man
Evil Dead 2

Watch An American Werewolf In London. It's totally up your alley.
Will do! I didn't know it was a comedy... :zonk:

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Knowing you, Foggle, I'm surprised that you haven't already watched it yet.

And yes, its a brilliant mixture of comedy and horror. Actually I never found it to be all that scary, though on a more serious level it does have the best werewolf transformation scene EVER done in cinema (no crappy CGI, but just good old-fashioned make-up and special effects that look surprisingly convincing, even by today's standards).

Avaitor

Speaking of horror-comedy, how about that Young Frankenstein?

New blog!

Foggle

Quote from: Avaitor on October 25, 2011, 12:11:48 AM
Speaking of horror-comedy, how about that Young Frankenstein?
Absolutely love it. Haven't seen it in ages, though.

No-Personality

Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 23, 2011, 04:03:58 PM
How so?
Oh yeah... (D'uh!)

Actually, when so many people tell me the first movie is funny- I don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Well, I got so burned out on the road
Too many fags, too much blow
And then Mick and I split up and I said,
"Kid, it's time to take a little bit of a hiatus."
So I got myself a gig at the coffee shop
and I love it.
Why don't you take that corner booth,
I'll take your order in a minute...

Foggle

Quote from: No-Personality on October 25, 2011, 10:00:32 AM
Quote from: talonmalon333 on October 23, 2011, 04:03:58 PM
How so?
Oh yeah... (D'uh!)

Actually, when so many people tell me the first movie is funny- I don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Agreed. It's kind of cheesy, sure, but it's actually quite well done overall.