Sitcoms

Started by Spark Of Spirit, February 07, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avaitor

Daft finally got me to take one of his recommendations.

I've been watching Parks and Recreation thanks to him, and I shockingly like it a lot. I can see how it's similar to The Office, except Amy Poehler isn't anywhere near as annoying as Steve Carell and I actually like the characters. Ron and April are my favorites. I even like the relationship between April and Andy.

I'd add it to the good list.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Rosalinas Spare Wand

I've been rewatching a lot of Seinfeld lately. It's definitely a series that just gets better with age. The affiliates around here like to rerun the same batch of episodes very close to each other, but since I always pick up on a new joke or something each time I watch it, I don't really mind.

I also find that my favorite character has shifted from Kramer to George. There's something about a cocky, neurotic bald man that's just so absurdly hilarious.

Spark Of Spirit

One of my favorite aspects of Seinfeld is the weird relationship between George and Lloyd Braun. Just the way his parents idolize a total loon (who is hilarious in his own right) and constantly compare George to him gets me every time.

Serenity now; insanity later.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Angus

Quote from: Avaitor on March 04, 2011, 01:09:23 PM

I've been watching Parks and Recreation thanks to him, and I shockingly like it a lot. I can see how it's similar to The Office, except Amy Poehler isn't anywhere near as annoying as Steve Carell and I actually like the characters. Ron and April are my favorites. I even like the relationship between April and Andy.

I caught an episode of this last week and it might go into our regular rotation.
"You don't have to eat the entire turd to know that it's not a crab cake." - Bean, Shadow of the Hegemon

Spark Of Spirit

I've been watching random episodes of Golden Girls and Empty Nest, and they've both help up pretty well.

One that is just as insanely funny as it was when it was on the air is Frasier. I've been watching reruns of that, and saw the episode where his political candidate of choice goes on about being abducted by aliens. I still can't believe people were more excited for the Friends finale at the time both shows ended, its quite easy to see which one was the better show.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

Quote from: Angus on May 17, 2011, 01:15:29 PM
Quote from: Avaitor on March 04, 2011, 01:09:23 PM

I caught an episode of this last week and it might go into our regular rotation.
Was that the one where April, the doom and gloom girl, calls Neutral Milk Hotel her favorite band, and Andy, her husband in a rock band, gets offended?

If so, good call.
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

My Wife & Kids on N@N is a weird show. I don't really like the early episodes, they're quite boring and typical sitcom-ish, but as it goes it gets progressively better as character based humor becomes more prevalent but it manages to stop just short of going all out cartoony and making the characters annoying. I think this is one of the few shows where I actually do think the second half of the show easily trounces the first half.

Spark Of Spirit

Hey guys, I know some of you are more familiar with That 70s Show than I am, and I don't want to say this in a rude way... But when does the show stop being... uh, unique? Is that the word I'm thinking of?

The early stuff on Nick @ Nite is pretty damn good, but I know at some point it just loses all its charm and becomes a pretty bog standard sitcom with some nods to the 70s.

So far I'm liking it, but I'm just curious if there's a point most people think it goes off the rails.

Avaitor

Season 5 was supposed to be the last, but Fox renewed it at the last minute. You can tell that they were ready for the end on the last couple of episodes from then, and it loses steam after. Season 6 is still pretty good, entirely watchable, but it's still a bit of a step down, and replacing Laurie's actress (keeping her to begin with then was stupid) didn't help.

Season 7 is a lot worse, though. Donna dying her hair blond was one of the biggest blows the show took, and the attempts at character development (Hyde's half-black! Kelso's a cop and future dad! Eric wants to grow up! Jackie kind of likes Fez!) did not work at all.

And I think you've heard about the last season, and the less said there, the better. Oh, and Seth Green's character blew.

New blog!

Spark Of Spirit

For some reason every time I watch reruns on TV, I always see the later episodes you're talking about. The last two (possibly 3) seasons with the things you mentioned. the stuff I'm watching now on N@N is stuff I've never seen in reruns before for the most part.

Which is a shame because it's much better.

Avaitor

There's still some good in those seasons. Leo returns in season 7 and is still a riot throughout, and I think "Fun It", from the last season, is among the series best episodes. And like I said, 6 isn't too bad at all.

But they're still an undeniable step down from the first 5 seasons.

New blog!

Eddy

All of That 70s Show is streaming on Netflix if you use the service. It's really worth checking out the first five seasons (and season six) because it really was a great sitcom. But yeah, season seven is a step down and the season after that is just terrible.

I don't watch much TV these days but I will say that I love The Office. Parks & Recreation is great too. Then, of course, there are Seinfeld reruns.

Spark Of Spirit

N@N has yet to play a single post-"Graduation Day" episode (including that one), which is weird. When they aired Malcolm In The Middle they never went past Francis at the ranch either. I'm wondering if they specifically air only the episodes they know people want to see? If so, then fuck yeah, Nick.

Kiddington

Quote from: Desensitized on May 17, 2011, 02:11:04 PM
One that is just as insanely funny as it was when it was on the air is Frasier. I've been watching reruns of that, and saw the episode where his political candidate of choice goes on about being abducted by aliens. I still can't believe people were more excited for the Friends finale at the time both shows ended, its quite easy to see which one was the better show.
Old post, but... yeah, definitely agree.

I've been re-watching a lot of it lately, and it's just as brilliant as ever. One of my all-time favorite episodes (Door Jam) is when Frasier and Niles get invited to a new health spa, and become obsessed with advancing past each new door/level they stumble upon (in order to overcome the "icy depths of the Silver Level", as Frasier puts it). The side-plot with Daphne and Martin watching an episode Rockford is also hilarious; "Congratulations, you've ruined Rockford for me!".

Great episode, IMO. The fact that this was a late-run script all the more proves just how solid this series was; never really "ran out of steam" at any point. 11 seasons, all of them just as great as the last.

Avaitor

"Well damn, Jackie, I can't control the weather!"

That 70's Show, still great.

New blog!