Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grave

Yeah, I saw Black Lagoon. About 3 times now. I'm not really hipped on to it like I used to be though. I think I wore myself out on it.

Might as well that I was into Black Lagoon before Black Lagoon became an anime. :)

Spark Of Spirit

5 underrated anime/manga you should totally check out

1. Please Save My Earth

The anime OVA is a good introduction to this story which is a tale that takes place over an incredible amount of space and time. Though it's really about the crushing affect of alienation and the desire for community, you get quite a lot of psychic battles and interesting plot turns along the way. I'm not quite sure why this doesn't get anywhere near as much attention these days (maybe because it never got the full length anime it deserved) but it's well worth watching for anyone who is an anime fan.

2. School Rumble

I think this one got swept under the rug due to coming out just before the moe craze. But it's not moe. It's just a comedy that happens to be centered in high school and on character relationships that manages to be surprisingly funny with a lot of characters to keep track of. I think a lot of anime fans lump it in with the moe craze or think it isn't moe enough, but it's a legitimately good anime and manga that is only hampered by its somewhat slow start. If you like comedies, you should really give it a chance.

3. Vinland Saga

No anime. That's probably the main reason nobody really talks about it. Because... well, it's a pretty good manga otherwise. Though I have heard people complain that they miss the over-the-top violence, so it's possible most of the fans of this actually don't understand the purpose of the story. It's not Gantz, it has a brain.

4. Galaxy Express 999

The Leiji Matsumoto effect, I guess. Most of his stuff doesn't get talked about very often, but 999 is pretty good stuff regardless. I've seen far lesser work than this get acclaim.

5. Martian Successor Nadesico

Oh, I know why this one isn't talked about too much these days. It's old news and was overshadowed by another late 90s mecha anime that grabbed all the attention. Still, I think it has quite a lot to offer anime fans these days and is in my opinion the best mecha anime of the 90s. Take from that what you will. I know you're tired of hearing about this from me so it'll be the last time I'll bring it up. That said, since I was making this list I think it deserved a placement on it.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

LumRanmaYasha

:joy:

Please Save My Earth, Vinland Saga, and Galaxy Express 999 are three series that have been on my to watch/to read list for ages. I've checked out a bit of each of them at various points and enjoyed them, but I just haven't managed to commit to going through them yet. Rest assured, I will. In fact, I'll make reading Vinland Saga a priority now that it's coming out here in the States legally, since the first few chapters were awesome, and after I finish Gunslinger Girl, I'll watch the Please Save My Earth OVA series, and get to the manga at some point later as well. Hopefully Galaxy Express 999 will still be on Hulu for a while, because I have other priority watches right now that are going to take up much of my already depleeting free time(Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Louie, etc.).

And hell yeah do I second School Rumble and Nadesico! It's a shame that, with School Rumble, they never got to adapt the rest of the manga. I haven't finished it (something I should do one of these days), but the story becomes more drama-oriented...and it works! (again, from what I read of it). It would have been nice to see it be completed in animated form.

Spark Of Spirit

School Rumble never forgets it's a comedy, but it does work on some more serious moments on top of the comedy. I just know there's a resistance to it because of how bad anime comedies have been that were in a similar genre, but its surprisingly good. Also that first opening theme is just perfect.

I recommend the Please Save My Earth OVA first because its definitely something that would push anyone into trying out the series.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Avaitor

*saves post for future reference*
Life is not about the second chances. It's about a little mouse and his voyage to an exciting new land. That, my friend, is what life is.

Sir, do you have any Warrants?
I got their first CD, but you can't have it, motherfucker!

New blog!
http://avaitorsblog.blogspot.com/

Spark Of Spirit

Actually it looks like the first volume of Vinland Saga comes out here on October 8th and... contains two volumes? That's pretty awesome if so, but it will probably catch up to the official releases at that rate.

gunswordfist

Quote from: gunswordfist on July 28, 2013, 01:49:53 PM
I am sure everyone thinks I've seen BL since it's right up my alley but I almost never watch not on tv anime.
Funny how much has changed. I can't even believe I wrote this these days. Thank you 360 app and HXH remake! I am about to check out Fujiko Mine and then maybe Black Lagoon...on a computer.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Grave

It's been a while since I've actually said anything about anime. I've pretty much given up on it at this point, but I am curious about Blue Exorcist. Anybody checked it out?

Rynnec

Watching the Toonami run, and it's pretty "meh" so far.

LumRanmaYasha

Quote from: Grave on April 05, 2014, 04:11:31 PM
It's been a while since I've actually said anything about anime. I've pretty much given up on it at this point, but I am curious about Blue Exorcist. Anybody checked it out?

It's not worth checking out, Grave. Blue Exorcist just another generic shonen series. It isn't awful, but it does nothing new and is bogged with the kind of anime cliches and characters you'd find tiresome.

Have you watched JoJo's Bizarre Adventure yet? I think you'd like that series quite a bit. And since you're a fan of Hajime no Ippo, I'd strongly recommend reading or watching Ashita no Joe as well.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Not to mention that Joe isn't as boringly stoic as Ippo can be as a character (I like the supporting cast much more than Ippo himself in HnI, is what I mean).

gunswordfist

Sounds like how Baki is.

Hunter X Hunter has made me hate the fantasy battle shonen genre even more because it reminds me that there really isn't anything remotely as good in its genre that's coming out these days.

LumRanmaYasha

I'd agree that Joe is a much more well-rounded and expressive character than what I've seen of Ippo, and is actually the kind of character I feel Grave would prefer. 

Though I'll admit that's a bit presumptuous of me to say, since I've only just resumed watching HnI. I'm only on episode 25 right now, but so far my favorite character in the series is probably Takamura, who has a combination of a comedic and badass personality that appeals to me. I'd also say Miyata's determination and maturity has won me over, especially during his fight with Mashiba.

Quote from: gunswordfist on April 05, 2014, 05:01:15 PM
Hunter X Hunter has made me hate the fantasy battle shonen genre even more because it reminds me that there really isn't anything remotely as good in its genre that's coming out these days.

Well, Magi is very well-written. And Toriko is what you get when you take the over the top violence and brutality of something like JoJo or FOTNS and mix it with early Dragon Ball-style adventure and silliness. I don't like either as much as HxH, mind you, but they are good series that I enjoy reading every week, more consistently so than modern One Piece in fact.

gunswordfist

I'm certainly not going to read them.  I heard that those two have there own problems that would make me not bother with them or maybe I just didn't feel like giving them a chance like everything else these days. :D

LumRanmaYasha

I'm just letting you know there are some good modern battle shonen series out there, is all. Though I'm curious to know what "problems" you've heard they have.