Anime Recommendations

Started by Dr. Ensatsu-ken, February 13, 2011, 02:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Foggle on October 22, 2014, 10:00:39 PM
Welcome to the NHK is excellent and often funny but also incredibly depressing. Only watch it if you're prepared to feel like shit afterwards.
It's a good series and I really thought it was worth seeing, but I don't think I can recommend it to people. It's a hard watch.
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2014, 10:03:59 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 22, 2014, 10:00:39 PMWelcome to the NHK is excellent and often funny but also incredibly depressing. Only watch it if you're prepared to feel like shit afterwards.
It's a good series and I really thought it was worth seeing, but I don't think I can recommend it to people. It's a hard watch.

You do realize that you only made me want to watch it more, now, right?

Spark Of Spirit

Quote from: Dr. Ensatsu-ken on October 22, 2014, 10:18:37 PM
Quote from: Spark Of Spirit on October 22, 2014, 10:03:59 PM
Quote from: Foggle on October 22, 2014, 10:00:39 PMWelcome to the NHK is excellent and often funny but also incredibly depressing. Only watch it if you're prepared to feel like shit afterwards.

You do realize that you only made me want to watch it more, now, right?
Knock yourself out.

Just don't feel the urge to actually knock yourself out.  :P
"The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder." - G.K. Chesterton

Lord Il

Serial Experiments Lain..

Good idea to be on my Christmas wish list, or no?
Just curious because I need to come up with ideas really quickly to appease my relatives. :il_hahaha:
I've heard good things.

Spark Of Spirit

I haven't seen it in a dog's age, but yes, it's good.

goody2shoes

Some people have said it's much longer than it needs to be, I haven't watched it though.

gunswordfist

"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Speedy

Anyone here seen Detroit Metal City?

goody2shoes

No, it's on my list though. I hear a lot of good things about it, apparently it's hilarious if you can stomach the vulgarity.

Oh, and I recommend Giant Robo. Sorry for mixing up the threads, I realised this fit here too when I finished the post.

Quote from: goody2shoes on December 29, 2014, 07:02:57 PM
So I finished Giant Robo recently, and it fell just short of being another favorite of mine.

Now, this series had its weaknesses (as all shows do), but my real problem was with the ending. I saw a perfect conclusion coming from a mile away, and then... it didn't really happen. I'd give some more detail in abstract, but suffice to say I thought it held itself back in the final episode story arc-wise. And to top it off you get an unnecessary tease for a sequel, which never became a reality.

In spite of this, I can't help but recommend this series wholeheartedly, especially if you're a fan of Astro Boy, super sentai, and grandiose epics with humanity's future on the line. The animation is some of the best I've ever seen, and the ensemble cast of characters are larger-than-life and so charmingly expressive and well designed. Not to mention the soundtrack. It did so much to heighten the whole experience, and it even pulled at my heart-strings at times. The overarching story, while again, it could have concluded better, tackled surprisingly mature and thought-provoking themes. It really brought Osamu Tezuka to mind for me. It's something I think I would've loved as a kid, because it's fun and action packed without coddling the audience (for the most part).

I could go on and on, but I hope this is enough to make some of you check it out. For me, it's been an experience unlike any other.

Spark Of Spirit

Funimation is currently having a Spring Cleaning sale. There's a LOT of good titles on sale. I'd get something but the shipping would hose me.

gunswordfist

Shipping has always been unkind to Canada. I'm sure those deals would sound good..if I wasn't dead broke.
"Ryu is like the Hank Hill of Street Fighter." -BB_Hoody

Spark Of Spirit

Kyo Kara Ore Wa!!

One of the worst aspects of NA's allergy to the delinquent sub-genre is that we never got this show (or manga) licensed. I've watched a few episodes, and it's a blast. There's no mystery as to why this is one of Sunday's highest selling series.

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

Yeah, I can tell your enthusiasm for it after that elaborate PM that you sent me. :D

It does sound really awesome, though. You know that I'm always pumped to read and watch more classic delinquent manga and anime where I can find them, so I'll definitely work my way around to this series when I get a chance. It's such an underrated genre outside of Japan (and probably isn't even that popular in Japan these days either).

Dr. Ensatsu-ken

While I'm not a huge fan of Digibro, occasionally he does put out some videos that I enjoy and agree with. At any rate, he just uploaded a SEVEN HOUR video recommending 250 different anime, organized by category: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYJ618HckG0

Obviously nobody would be expected to watch the whole thing, but if you look at the video description below you can just skip to the categories that you're interested in. I just briefly skimmed through parts of his video, but what's most notable is that he gave all three Yoshihiro Togashi series a recommendation, two of which got a high recommendation from him (Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter) and one of which got a medium recommendation (Level E). So, there's that! :joy:

TheDisneyPlayhouse

I'm interested in watching more of the Anime that Aired on Adult Swim back before the Toonami revival. I've watched Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho (Which Adult Swim aired for about a year before it moved to Toonami), Inuyasha, Trigun, FLCL, Death Note, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and both of the Fullmetal Alchemist shows, but I haven't seen anything else in their entirety

I'm thinking of watching The Big O next. Is that worth watching? I've seen a few Episodes of it, but not the entirety of it. I know I started watching Samurai Champloo and I plan to finish it. I also have thought of watching Lupin the 3rd Part 2, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, and Bleach as well

Do you have any Adult Swim Anime recommendations for me?